Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 07:48 PM

OT: ADT home burglar alarm sensors

Kinda specific, but has anyone ever bought their own glassbreak and shock sensors to hook up to their ADT alarm?

Had a tech come out today to do our initial install, and it quickly went from "only a $99 installation fee" to $1,200. I guess the salesperson i spoke to on the initial call was slightly misleading, but whatever.

I saw that some of these sensors are $250 a piece. On the receipt, theyre listed as "HON Glassbreak Detector" and "HON Shock Sensor" which I guess are just rebranded Honeywell sensors and when I look them up online, theyre more like $50-75.

Anyone ever buy these things online and successfully hook them up to an existing system?
Old 07-29-2020, 05:26 AM

I've got a cheaper solution. I went on Ebay and bought a bunch of ADT stickers and one of my neighbors gave me a sign. Slapped the stickers on the windows and... now I have an alarm system. Most criminals that break into houses don't know the difference. They see a house that says alarm system and move on to one that doesn't. Of course this only works with criminals that can read.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:27 AM

They are over priced. We have them. But there are cheaper solutions.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
They are over priced. We have them. But there are cheaper solutions.
Yea, we had them too in our last house. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Check Shufro.com. Local, family run business, professional monitoring. They gave us some good advice on coverage alternatives and did a great job on the installation...

Don't know how far they'll travel...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-29-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Yea, we had them too in our last house. Couldn't wait to get rid of them.

Check Shufro.com. Local, family run business, professional monitoring. They gave us some good advice on coverage alternatives and did a great job on the installation...

Don't know how far they'll travel...
Good to know, thanks! Well it seems like im locked into this 36 month contract unless i cancel it by the end of day today. I called this morning and they knocked off the price of the sensors by 50%! So thats a win. Other than that, its $53 a month, which I guess is okay?

Not sure how other companies do it, but ADT has a pretty cool app which lets me arm/disarm the alarm, and get alerts on my phone whenever something gets set off. They also added my detached garage to the system using some wireless sensors, so its pretty convenient, but this is my first experience with home security, so im not sure if this is all pretty basic stuff.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:14 AM

I had the same "up sell" happen 5 years ago when they came to do an install. I went round and round with the guy, he added all the bits the rep told me they would and he went home mad. I didn't go for anything extra.

I used it for a couple of years, and it got more and more expensive so I switched to Comcast.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Kinda specific, but has anyone ever bought their own glassbreak and shock sensors to hook up to their ADT alarm?
I am no expert, but it is not a difficult task if you are reasonably handy.

You simply string a twisted pair wire back to the Alarm panel. I prefer wired, but wireless stuff even easier. The Honeywell/Ademco Vista panel is the most common. I have added all types of sensors including a wired zone expansion module

The difficulty will be determining the zone availability and having the installer code to program for the additional sensors. You can generally find documentation online for your panel with regard to programming. Programming a bit primitive, but straightforward if you take your time and follow the instructions.

Once you get past your ADT contract obligations you may want to investigate having your system monitored by someone else for a significant monthly savings. ADT hits you hard for monitoring to amortize the new customer cost of acquisition, but central station monitoring can be had for $10/month.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:25 AM

I switched over to RING and never looked back.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
I had the same "up sell" happen 5 years ago when they came to do an install. I went round and round with the guy, he added all the bits the rep told me they would and he went home mad. I didn't go for anything extra.

I used it for a couple of years, and it got more and more expensive so I switched to Comcast.
Just curious what got more expensive? the monthly fee? I think im locked in at $53 for 3 years and I could add a camera as well(i need to look into how to do this without their technicians)
Old 07-29-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdimattio View Post
I am no expert, but it is not a difficult task if you are reasonably handy.

You simply string a twisted pair wire back to the Alarm panel. I prefer wired, but wireless stuff even easier. The Honeywell/Ademco Vista panel is the most common. I have added all types of sensors including a wired zone expansion module

The difficulty will be determining the zone availability and having the installer code to program for the additional sensors. You can generally find documentation online for your panel with regard to programming. Programming a bit primitive, but straightforward if you take your time and follow the instructions.

Once you get past your ADT contract obligations you may want to investigate having your system monitored by someone else for a significant monthly savings. ADT hits you hard for monitoring to amortize the new customer cost of acquisition, but central station monitoring can be had for $10/month.
Yeah it seems like everything is wireless now. The only wire is the power to an outlet for the "keypad" which is more like a 10-inch tablet.

I still can get out of the contract if i do it by tomorrow, so ill try to do some investigating. Thanks for the tip
Old 07-29-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I switched over to RING and never looked back.
Ooooo I had no idea they have complete systems. I'll need to check em out and see if they can match what ADT does. Thanks!

I do like the idea of fire alarm/protection and i dont see that on the ring website, but maybe i need to dig deeper a bit
Old 07-29-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Good to know, thanks! Well it seems like im locked into this 36 month contract unless i cancel it by the end of day today. I called this morning and they knocked off the price of the sensors by 50%! So thats a win. Other than that, its $53 a month, which I guess is okay?
I think I'm paying around $30/month, with alarm monitoring and cellular backup.

When ADT offered to double my monthly (at our old house) I told them to take a hike, and they kept me at $24/month.

No, $53/month is not okay.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-29-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Just curious what got more expensive? the monthly fee? I think im locked in at $53 for 3 years and I could add a camera as well(i need to look into how to do this without their technicians)
Your camera doesn't need to be part of your alarm system.

If you want cameras, take a look at Blink. I've got four Blink XT cameras scattered around (mostly outside), and they're great. Very good picture quality, wireless (wifi and battery). Range is good...one camera is about 75 feet from the house, monitoring the wildlife on the trail behind the house.

Oh, and no monthly fee.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-29-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el cheapo View Post
I've got a cheaper solution. I went on Ebay and bought a bunch of ADT stickers and one of my neighbors gave me a sign. Slapped the stickers on the windows and... now I have an alarm system. Most criminals that break into houses don't know the difference. They see a house that says alarm system and move on to one that doesn't. Of course this only works with criminals that can read.

THIS.

Actually, what experts say is the most effective deterrent for burglars-

a BEWARE OF DOG sign, even if you don't own a dog.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:15 PM

I wonder what the price will drop to if you cancel before that time runs out?