Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 10:16 AM

OT: Airpods vs Airpod Pro

Pretty banal question here, but I'm thinking of getting a pair of these for my wife and I'm wondering if the Pro is worth the extra $100. FWIW she has a bit of hearing loss. Curious also about how they work for phone calls, etc.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:20 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

$70 dollar difference now.
https://www.whathifi.com/us/advice/a...ich-are-better
Old 07-27-2020, 10:25 AM

Only get the Pro’s if you need the noise cancelling feature. I have a set of both and the sound quality is pretty much identical on both, phone calls too. The Pro version shines if you need the noise cancelling feature.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Only get the Pro’s if you need the noise cancelling feature. I have a set of both and the sound quality is pretty much identical on both, phone calls too. The Pro version shines if you need the noise cancelling feature.
She has small ears so I'm wondering if the regular ones are going to give her fit problems...
Old 07-27-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daker13 View Post
She has small ears so I'm wondering if the regular ones are going to give her fit problems...
I cannot answer that question, I can tell you the Pro’s comes with 3 sizes to choose from.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:01 AM

The noise canceling on the pros is really nice
Old 07-27-2020, 11:12 AM

As others have noted, he noise cancelling feature is really nice and the fit is much better. The silicone earpieces are much more comfortable than the hard plastic. Also, did Apple upgrade the software so that the regular iPods will read text messages, or is that just a Pro feature?
Old 07-27-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
As others have noted, he noise cancelling feature is really nice and the fit is much better. The silicone earpieces are much more comfortable than the hard plastic. Also, did Apple upgrade the software so that the regular iPods will read text messages, or is that just a Pro feature?
This. I have to take phone calls in noisy places (a ferry for instance). The fit and noise cancelling make a huge diff. I own both. Go with the pros.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:00 PM

OT: Airpods vs Airpod Pro

Pros will also get a whole of cool new features coming with iOS 14 like surround sound.

One thing to note would be fit, though. Not everyone likes the air-tight fit of silicone tips in the ear canal.

I can’t stand the feeling and only use the non-pros (and regular headphones) for this reason.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:28 PM
Vendor

Quote:
The shape of the AirPods are the same as the Gen 2 wired headset they make. Try that she'll know. I don't like the regular versions. They don't stay in my ears and hurt a bit. So I am getting the AirPod Pros.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Pretty banal question here, but I'm thinking of getting a pair of these for my wife and I'm wondering if the Pro is worth the extra $100. FWIW she has a bit of hearing loss. Curious also about how they work for phone calls, etc.
Yes. I have both, and I just bought a pair of the Pros for my wife. The Pros have a silicone tip that seals, and has noise cancellation mode and a “transparency” mode when you need to hear ambient sounds. More importantly, they sound far better and stay in your ears, whereas the regular AirPods would fall out when I leaned over or moved my head. I even can fall asleep wearing my AirPod Pros and they will be in my ears when I wake.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Pros will also get a whole of cool new features coming with iOS 14 like surround sound.

One thing to note would be fit, though. Not everyone likes the air-tight fit of silicone tips in the ear canal.

I can’t stand the feeling and only use the non-pros (and regular headphones) for this reason.
I am running iOS 14 beta 3 on my phone and iPad. It is really nice and very stable. The public beta is available at https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/
Old 07-28-2020, 06:22 AM

I switched the the Pros a few weeks ago and have no regrets.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Pro is absolutely worth the extra $$. My wife and I both have them and they're awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-29-2020, 10:18 AM

Go with the pros. For what it’s worth the standard air pods never fit in my ears, uncomfortable and would fall out. The silicone pieces make all the difference in that regard. Plus the noise canceling is awesome.