Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2020, 09:04 AM

Traveling with disc brake bike.

I know traveling is a bit of a nostalgic concept. But is there anything specific to watch out for when traveling with a hydraulic disc brake bike? Besides spacers for the brakes? Also, is there a travel bag specific for disc bikes? Thx.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:30 AM

I've wondered about this too. I have a Ritchey Breakaway disc and chose to go with cable discs because I wasn't sure how the air pressure changes on a plane would affect hydraulics, if at all.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:35 AM

Put the spacers in the calipers and pack it well as you would any bike. I've flown lots with hydro disc brake bikes, no problems.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:58 PM

-remove the rotors during transit to avoid accidental bending in the travel bag, and don't forget to bring a lockring tool etc.
-leave the hydro hoses a little long to give yourself extra slack if you would have to partially dissemble the bike and carefully fit it into the travel bag.
-use spacer blocks in the calipers, as mentioned above.

If you take care when packing and dis/assembling the bike, then hydros are just fine for traveling.

Instagram

Last edited by sparky33; 07-27-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:59 PM

I've been wondering same.. Do you have to rebleed or do anything special on the other side?
Old 07-27-2020, 10:14 PM

I'm a fan of discs. They just seem like a bit of a PITA to travel with.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:26 PM

Not sure how practical these are because I’ve never travelled with a disc bike, or any bike for that matter but the idea is neat.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-rotor-covers/
Old 07-27-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
I'm a fan of discs. They just seem like a bit of a PITA to travel with.
They are. I got a disc travel bike, then a rim travel bike. Rim bike (ritchey breakaway) packs up in about 30 minutes, disc brake bike (titanium coupled) takes about 2 hours.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:52 AM

Scicon TSA 3.0 bag. Zero issues. Packing in 10 minutes, unpacking in about the same. Bike is well protected.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:04 AM

I haven’t had much issue traveling with my disc bike for events. I use an OruCase airport ninja or sub62 and it holds them fine. You do have to remove fork, RD, seatpost, rotors, and bars but I’ve never had issues with getting them installed. Worst case scenario I pop into a local shop, say I’m from out of town and have had them take care of mine or issues on the spot. For example, I forgot a cassette took to tighten rotors last time but Spokesman in Santa Cruz let me use the tool when I arrived and told me to feel free to pop back in before I left and they would let me use it again.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
-remove the rotors during transit to avoid accidental bending in the travel bag, and don't forget to bring a lockring tool etc.
-leave the hydro hoses a little long to give yourself extra slack if you would have to partially dissemble the bike and carefully fit it into the travel bag.
-use spacer blocks in the calipers, as mentioned above.

If you take care when packing and dis/assembling the bike, then hydros are just fine for traveling.
+1 Packing and unpacking any bike is not on my list of favorite things, but sometimes it's what needs to be done.

Untitled by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr

Untitled by ColonelJLloyd, on Flickr
Old 07-28-2020, 07:21 AM
aka RAEKWON

I have travelled with my disc bike with my post bag and was not a pain at all. I wish I had pictures of the bag packed but it was no more annoying than when I had my S&S rim brake bike. However that bike is all external routing which might help a lot since I can undo the front brake if I want, I have done that but last time I just left it all attached and was very simple.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:44 AM

Lots of travel bags are set up for QR wheels. If your travel case has a fork attachment, make sure it's compatible with your fork's dropouts, i.e., if it's a 12mm or 15mm thru-axle, make sure the fork attachment point works with those. My soft shell Thule case has been super for air travel but I did have to order in the correct fittings for the fork on my Firefly.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Do you have to rebleed or do anything special on the other side?
nope.

Instagram
Old 07-28-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKW View Post
Scicon TSA 3.0 bag. Zero issues. Packing in 10 minutes, unpacking in about the same. Bike is well protected.
Hey thanks for that recommendation. I'm sold. The video makes it look pretty damn simple. And I read this review from Cycling Weekly with a key paragraph:

"The format meant I didn’t have to undo a single bolt, twist the bars, or even adjust my saddle height (note – that last one might not apply to taller riders). This will be music to the ears of those with complicated integrated componentry, or riders who tend to bodge even the simplest of spannering."

I'm not sure what the last line means in the King's English, but I'm assuming it means someone technically incompetent, which definitely describes me.