Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-2020, 08:54 AM

carbon clinchers - whats the hot ticket ?

I'm a tubular rider, have been for going on 21 years this year but have only ever ridden carbon tubulars and clinchers in aluminum.

However, Due to an accident a couple of years ago (which some here might remember) and the after effects and weakness in my hand I'm unable to remove a tub in the event of a flat (which happened yesterday). after a lot of blood, sweat and cursing i got it changed after 40 minutes ! but it made me decide to get some clinchers for everyday.

So, whats the current favorite for Clincher, Rim brake, around 25-35mm. not interested in tubeless.

Id love some FSE 35 Carbon ti but that seems a stretch now as theyve gone under !

Thinking -

Enve 2.2/3.4
Ksyrium pro carbon sl/ cosmic pro carbo sl
bora wto (running 9150 di2)
fulcrum speed 40c

what else is out there ?
Old 07-12-2020, 08:56 AM
tailgunning

the bontrager xxx 2's would be what i'd get if i didn't care about cost.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:00 AM

I've got the Bontrager XXX 4s on my Madone - they're very nice. And for a Mosaic that I'm building, Old Potatoe built me a nice set of BTLOS with Aivee hubs for under $1000 - got to choose hub color and rim color, and lightweight - and of course the quality build.

Other good value choice is Reynolds. My friends have older Assault and Attack carbon and they've been flawless. I put a set of ATR on my wife's Salsa Vaya - good rim, nothing proprietary so easy to replace.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:10 AM

those xxx look nice, and id love them in tubular ! cheapest seems to be about 1600$ which is not out of the question, but on the high end...
Old 07-12-2020, 09:23 AM

November wheels has some decent deals on their pre order through the end of the month. Lots of options to suit your tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2020, 10:01 AM

Fulcrum Racing Zero in carbon is a good all around wheel. I am partial to Campagnolo hubs and will always be my fist choice in a wheel set.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegunner View Post
the bontrager xxx 2's would be what i'd get if i didn't care about cost.
Seconded. Just put a set on my Fabrica and WOW. Wonderful wheels. I have an older set of Aeolus3s which I really like a lot and these blew them away.

Second choice would be Zipp 303 NSWs but they’re a little pricey for what you get, on a budget Mavic Ksyrium carbon
Old 07-12-2020, 11:32 AM

I have the original xxx lite wheels, totally bombproof (20K miles on them without truing or bearing), just wished they were bit wider.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:42 AM

Campy WTO or Mavic Cosmic Pro SL
Old 07-12-2020, 12:11 PM

Sounds like you need to go tubeless. Less chance of any of that happening and should ride like your beloved tubulars. Id recommend pre stretching the wheels prior to installation to save yourself a lot of hassle.

I'm selling a set of 45mm Williams tubeless carbon clinchers for anyone interested.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:54 PM

I have the Aeolus XXX 6's with 25mm GP5k tubeless and they're crazy fast, light, and very comfortable. 21mm internal width gives a great tire profile.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Id recommend pre stretching the wheels prior to installation to save yourself a lot of hassle.
I tried to stretch my old 26er wheels into 29ers but I guess I’m just not strong enough...
Old 07-12-2020, 03:21 PM

I’ve been riding the XXX 4’s and find them to be very nice. I’m using Bontrager Hard Case 3 25mm tires and find them to be very nice as well - These XXX wheels are made in Wisconsin. Rims are manufactured in WI and DT hub internals, assembly. The XXX line looks like it will be going away for 2021, maybe you can score a deal-
Old 07-12-2020, 03:22 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
Sounds like you need to go tubeless. Less chance of any of that happening and should ride like your beloved tubulars. Id recommend pre stretching the wheels prior to installation to save yourself a lot of hassle.

I'm selling a set of 45mm Williams tubeless carbon clinchers for anyone interested.
Some tubeless tire/rim combo is a bear to mount/dismount. ie Pacenti rims to any TC tire, I had to use Pedros HD lever to barely get it on. No way I could do it in the field with plastic levers. That was post-stretching for a number of days.

Although, I don’t disagree with going tubeless. Find a combo that is easy to service.

Wasn’t there a thread recently of tubeless tubular?
Old 07-12-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
I’ve been riding the XXX 4’s and find them to be very nice. I’m using Bontrager Hard Case 3 25mm tires and find them to be very nice as well - These XXX wheels are made in Wisconsin. Rims are manufactured in WI and DT hub internals, assembly. The XXX line looks like it will be going away for 2021, maybe you can score a deal-
^ confirmed with a Trek rep that they're (thankfully) keeping the XXX's around for at least another year if not more for rim models as they still sell a bunch aftermarket...