Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2020, 11:37 AM

Strava - should I pay for it?

Any thoughts on whether the paid version is worth it? The free version is decent but would be nice to download routes from others which you can't do w the free version.

I know there are other benefits also but not sure what I would use.

Thoughts on the paid version of Strava?

Alan
Old 05-03-2020, 11:39 AM

I pay for the paid version just for Beacon - tracker to alert family of your whereabouts. The other training and calendar and goals stuff is a bonus too. There are a lot of h8t3rs, but if you like the product and can afford to support it, do so.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2020, 11:40 AM
PegoNagos

The free is good - you get some other features with the paid version.

I pay just to support Strava - it's an awesome app and cool way to share the riding experience with friends. I want to support that.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post

I pay just to support Strava - it's an awesome app and cool way to share the riding experience with friends. I want to support that.
this.. same for me.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
this.. same for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post

Thirded. It's a good tool for me, I like following friends, and I don't want to see it go the Instagram route with an ad in-between every other activity.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:58 PM
50 bpm

Fourthed. I like to gauge my efforts and compete against myself. Also for Beacon, because I ride alone more often than not.

I think it has been great for cycling and I've never once had someone pass me and yell "Strava!"
Old 05-03-2020, 01:04 PM

For those who have used both, how is the route planning/navigation on Strava compared to RWGPS? I pay for the latter and really like the route planning on a desktop, plus it’s a local company. I didn’t realize Strava has a similar feature?
Old 05-03-2020, 03:49 PM

Being able to overlay strava's heat map on the route builder is the killer feature. At least last I tried route building with ride with gps, it did not have similar functionality. While the heatmaps don't highlight the best routes in really dense city areas, for everything else, pretty much anywhere in the world, you can instantly identify where better cycling roads are. Strava's new explore function automatic route builder is surprisingly effective too. I prefer strava route building to ride with GPS and komoot, which are the other ones I have tried.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:58 PM

I have used the route planner on Strava and it is easy and creates whatever file you need. I pay for Strava just for the beacon. I ride solo 9/10 times and my wife likes the text messages. That’s enough for me. The leaderboards are better on the paid version. The fitness stuff is OK. My pet peev is that it resets every Monday back to fresh status. That’s useless. Garmin ConnectIQ is the best one and it’s free. My gripe with them is they don’t add TSS for a zwift file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Pines View Post
For those who have used both, how is the route planning/navigation on Strava compared to RWGPS? I pay for the latter and really like the route planning on a desktop, plus it’s a local company. I didn’t realize Strava has a similar feature?

I’m interested in this as well, I pay for RWGPS mostly for the route planning although I’ve also tracked my miles with it for a couple years. I’ve used it for multi-day bikepacking trips using the routes offline. For you Strava users, how is good the route planning and navigation for remote dirt roads and trails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2020, 04:21 PM

I used to pay for it and stopped. They hadn’t improved anything for years and other software does a lot better for serious tracking/training.

I did always think their route planner was pretty good. I used it quite a few times.

I never built anything with RWGPS just cause I had so much bad luck with routes from there that were provided by events. It was like if it came from RWGPS then I automatically assumed their would be navigation problems.

Last edited by benb; 05-03-2020 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:38 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I pay for the paid version just for Beacon - tracker to alert family of your whereabouts. The other training and calendar and goals stuff is a bonus too. There are a lot of h8t3rs, but if you like the product and can afford to support it, do so.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
why not just use the built in garmin thing? sends email to whoever you want and they can follow a map.

I have a paid strava account. I like all the extra data that it provides and when you a data nerd, you want all that mumbo jumbo.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:43 PM

No pay here, but I only use it to track miles and see where my buddies rode. I keep it on my phone only in my back jersey pocket. I hate knowing how far I’ve gone or how fast I’m going until later.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:46 PM

I only pay for the beacon.....Nice feature
Old 05-03-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I used to pay for it and stopped. They hadn’t improved anything for years and other software does a lot better for serious tracking/training.

I did always think their route planner was pretty good. I used it quite a few times.

I never built anything with RWGPS just cause I had so much bad luck with routes from there that were provided by events. It was like if it came from RWGPS then I automatically assumed their would be navigation problems.
I let my expire a week ago. I haven’t noticed anything.