Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2020, 07:30 PM

Initial Impressions of Etap AXS

Been thinking about trying Etap for a while. Having been a 100% Campy guy for 15'sh years, it took me a while to pull the trigger. I am having a new custom Ti bike built, so perfect opportunity to try Etap while I'm waiting (and I can have the new frame built without any need for (gear) cable guides or EPS holes.

Couple of considerations for me, I am not abandoning my collection of campy compatible wheels, so gonna be a mix of components. I ended up with AXS RD/FD/Shifters, Campy 12-speed cassette, KMC 12-speed chain. I have been riding Rotor Q-Rings for several years and was hoping to be able to continue. Had I thought about (how many things that start that way turn out well !?!?!) I would have realized that the AXS FD was built for a max large chainring of 50T. So even my 'smallish' 50T Q is more like 52T at its max measurement. Needless to say, that didn't work, but I found a crazy deal online for a new Red 22 C2 crankset, so using that.

Found the pairing to be the ultimate in ease, literally. The installation was fine, albeit it is a bit 'fiddly' compared to setting up EPS. Micro-adjusting the RD takes some time. To be honest was a little worried, because on the stand, I could never get the set-up to be quiet, always felt slightly out of 'tune'.

Got it outside today for a quickie 25 mile test run, and it was really great. First, the drivetrain is SILENT, way quieter than my EPS was. I'll attribute some of that to brand new components, with zero wear, we'll see if that persists. Any worry of compatibility went out the window on a short, but really steep little pitch, up out of saddle, and super smooth. I wish just once, the component companies would be straight with the compatibility issue, wishful thinking I know, but... I found the shifting to be quick and certain. The shifting paddles have a good feel when shifting (realizing it's electronic). I did have couple of missed shifts, all attributable to me getting used to right for up, left for down, but it was getting more automatic at the end of the ride. I think the cranks have a narrower Q-factor than my Rotors, which I noticed Can't say I felt a big change going back to round rings, although one longish (for me) one mile climb didn't feel as smooth.

All in all really happy with AXS (albeit after one ride). If you're considering going that way, c'mon in the water's fine!!

Last edited by Vamoots58; 04-25-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:48 PM

blows my mind that SRAM

seems to have come out of nowhere in a relatively short amount of time to compete or win in a bunch of different segments. i own Di2 and Etap 11. like both a lot. nod goes to SRAM for big paddles and innovative shift logic and no wires. no rub against Shimano, but i tried both style of synchro shifting and i found that i, the pilot, was a much better judge of when to shift for my needs. one thing i like about both systems is how easy it is to compensate for the big difference in compact front chain rings with a couple of instantaneous clicks up or down on the rear derailleur.

Last edited by eddief; 04-25-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:54 PM

SRAM AXS is the only way to go as far as electronic is concerned. I never really understood the draw of Di2 despite having and riding it frequently.
Old 04-25-2020, 07:57 PM

The shifts (axs Eagle) are as sharp and crisp and silent as day one. Supremely reliable system.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:03 PM

I have a new bike coming with a mix of Red and Force AXS and can't wait.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:05 PM

I Should Have Added

I should have added, that the one weak point for me with Campy was braking. I'm a rim brake guy, unlikely to change. Campy brakes always felt a little weak, I think there must have been a geometry issue with the levers and the leverage, i.e. cable pull just wasn't there. The AXS brakes are great!! Good tire clearance (25mm tubulars) and felt very solid, didn't have to give the levers the death grip to stop...
Old 04-25-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
SRAM AXS is the only way to go as far as electronic is concerned. I never really understood the draw of Di2 despite having and riding it frequently.
its lighter for one... AXS is a fat pig. I'd probably get it for a gravel bike but road it would be di2. Yeah I have old RED etap on 1 bike too.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:58 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamoots58 View Post
I should have added, that the one weak point for me with Campy was braking. I'm a rim brake guy, unlikely to change. Campy brakes always felt a little weak, I think there must have been a geometry issue with the levers and the leverage, i.e. cable pull just wasn't there. The AXS brakes are great!! Good tire clearance (25mm tubulars) and felt very solid, didn't have to give the levers the death grip to stop...
hmmm that is strange, campy brakes are excellent, something must have not been setup correctly. And this from someone who has etap and will likely eventually upgrade to AXS. I really like the system.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdntrxi View Post
its lighter for one... AXS is a fat pig. I'd probably get it for a gravel bike but road it would be di2. Yeah I have old RED etap on 1 bike too.

I guess it just depends on what people value. To install eTap, it can be done on almost any bike. I don’t think that’s the same with di2.

Because di2 is still “wired” is just another possible point of failure, just like a conventional shifter cables.

For weight, I’d glad trade the ease of installation, and how future forward eTap is for a few hundred grams. Weight can be lost elsewhere.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:42 PM

If you need a new group today the smart buy is AXS. It works great, shifts faster than the first gen etap stuff, sets up easy. To each their own, but I also find the ergonomics to be a lot better than Di2 as well.

Not to mention, 9100 is on the way out. 12s DA is going to be out in the next 6-12mo. No sense buying 11s shimano right now with a big upgrade looming. Performance hair splitting aside, I'd much rather have 12s Sram right now than invest in an equally expensive but soon to be replaced 11s shimano groupset.
Old 04-25-2020, 09:56 PM

AXS is the jam.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
At most, it's 150g heavier. I don't think I'd notice that in a groupset to be honest. I'd gladly take that penalty to not deal with the Di2 wiring. I've been all Shimano as long as I've owned a road bike but this new AXS build has changed my mind about both SRAM and electronic shifting.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:59 AM

I also think SRAM is way ahead as far as innovation goes. Wireless shifting was the first step, but rethinking how shifting works was great, going with unconventional smaller chainrings to minimize large jumps between gear is good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Visually its a fat pig, but weight wise only 170 gr (claimed) difference.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:37 AM

I think the AXS RD is definitely 'chunkier' than EPS, I'd say it's roughly a wash on the FD...that being said, the overall set-up is so clean and uncluttered having removed the wires, the control units (i know Di2 can be hidden) - Really love the aesthetic...