Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
fortunately, i have yet to put a mask on.

hoping i can make it through the pandemic without ever putting on on. we'll see!
why the reluctance if i may ask
Old 06-07-2020, 03:17 PM
Kind of OK

Crowd source: good quality Covid mask

Ok, so this plague thing isn't going away anytime soon. New cases went up to 1500 here in AZ over the weekend. Highest total yet and the local hospital chain is running out of ICU beds. Yet, people are walking around and acting like they're bored and done with it.
The two hospital masks I've been rotating through when I go out are overdue for replacing so I was hoping the folks here could suggest a good quality, reusable over the ear mask that has the metal strip above the nose that I could order and get in a week. Pactimo is only doing custom orders and a lot of vendors are either taking preorders or are back ordered. Most of the one size fits all masks are too small.
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2020, 03:22 PM

Walmart/Sams Club

They have packages of 50 masks for less than $30, they are the throw away surgical ones but cheap enough

I bought 5 Eliel re-useables for $50

Ray
Old 06-07-2020, 03:24 PM

The cotton mask I ended up ordering locally turned out to be not so great but it's better than nothing.
It's 2 layer to add a filter. It's missing a bendy wire so I got a long twist tie and stitched it to the inner layer so my glasses wouldn't fog.

Maybe that type of DIY fix could be an option if you have a mask without a wire. Could also get some bendable copper wire at Home Depot too if you don't have twist ties (long enough).

I'm waiting for masks from my sis but she's in Australia.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:57 PM

My wife and I have been sewing masks. They are cotton, and we add a filter layer between the layers of cloth. My mother in law uses it at the hospital she works at.

They are very comfortable and the shape leaves some space between your nose/mouth and the cloth.

PM me if interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2020, 04:39 PM

I am in FoCo and we are required to wear masks in public in enclosed spaces indefinitely(no end date in site). I also ordered the masks from Eliel, very comfortable and have a pouch for an additional filter if you feel you need it. I wear contacts so don’t worry about fogging!
I did an easy 65 mile ride today and have ridden or run everyday since 3/15, I ride as recovery for my running. When I ride I wear Buff neck gaiters which don’t fog my sunglasses.
I split my rides probably 70-30 road-mup. I find 90% of casual riders wear masks on the mup’s and about 90% of the spandex weenies racing on the mup’s don’t.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:39 PM

This was from last Sunday's NYT. I wound up getting some from Ijja, two for $12.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/22/a...ronavirus.html
Old 06-07-2020, 04:43 PM
Member?

Got one one these. Very well constructed. Like you said, seems like we will be using them for a while Looks a little bit like Bain from Batman..scares the virus away.

https://o2canada.com/products/o2-curve-1-2
Old 06-07-2020, 04:45 PM
Bike Guy

Kitsbow is making them. Quality indeed, but not meant to be taken on and off repeatedly through the day
Old 06-07-2020, 04:53 PM

If people are going to be walking around in public, everyone needs to be wearing a mask. I would welcome an executive order from the governor requiring just that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/w...gtype=Homepage
Old 06-07-2020, 05:17 PM

Keen started making them, and they are now available thru REI, and maybe elsewhere.

Another Portland outdoors company, Dhvani, is giving one away on request.

One more Oregon company now making masks, BioSkin.

If you want a face shield (actually, a pack of 10), this Oregon company has switched their production from bike helmets to shields.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Another possible source. https://www.mysteryranch.com/mystery...ional-facemask

This company makes bomber packs of all size. The owner started Dana Design packs but was bought out by Marmot and has resumed making his designs again starting in 2000. The masks look like they are well made.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:26 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I actually ran into Beetnik on the bike the other day, he was getting a cloth mask and they had all kinds of patterns. Only $5 and looked solid quality.

Round about way of saying if you need some, PM me and I can mail them. Next time I swing by that way, I can take pics of the various styles if you wish
Old 06-07-2020, 06:27 PM
DELETE ACCNT

That is really cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by williammmm View Post
My wife and I have been sewing masks. They are cotton, and we add a filter layer between the layers of cloth. My mother in law uses it at the hospital she works at.

They are very comfortable and the shape leaves some space between your nose/mouth and the cloth.

PM me if interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2020, 06:43 PM
Descent fitness

I am a fan of DD/ Mystery Ranch. Those masks look way over built like everything they do. The mask has a slot for an N95 filter which is probably useless in this application and would decrease breathability a bit when used.