Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2019, 09:23 AM

Italian Frame Purchasers Duty and Tax? UPS?

After a long and frustrating experience a frame I ordered from an Italian builder over a year ago is finally ready. There are several threads here on the builder and positive experience. Generally responsive when I pushed for an update, but typically it was "two weeks", and then weeks and months would go by with zero contact until I pushed again.

Anyway, as of yesterday (after I pushed again for an update) I'm told the frame is ready. Pics were sent, and it looks beautiful. When I was originally quoted price for frame it included Fedex next day delivery with taxes and duty included (I have that an email from builder). Yesterday he told me they use UPS - not my favorite, have no experience with them from overseas. He told me UPS Saver Service, and I am responsible for tax and duty. I've forwarded back copy of the original email etc.

Question is what is tax and duty from Italy on a frame? Anyone receive a frame from Italy via UPS Saver? I envision some service that takes week, and then getting some kind of high $ invoice for tax/duty.

I can't really figure out what UPS Saver Service is, if it's an express service or not? I have also tried to look up duty on a bicycle frame on the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, but I couldn't find anything clearly specifying a frame. Anyone have any recent experience with UPS Saver from Italy, and/or tax-duty costs? thanks
Old 12-24-2019, 10:23 AM

UPS Saver is an air freight for the international part and ground once it's in the US. Shouldn't take more than a week once the holiday rush is done. Could be as fast as 3 days though.

I don't have any idea what your tax bill will be though.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 12-24-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarQuade View Post
UPS Saver is an air freight for the international part and ground once it's in the US. Shouldn't take more than a week once the holiday rush is done. Could be as fast as 3 days though.

I don't have any idea what your tax bill will be though.
I don't have recent experience, but if it goes through a premium carrier like FEDEX or UPS, they will usually charge you for customs, customs clearance--duty and taxes also likely.

It will usually show up later as a second invoice. I have found it is helpful to check the US duty rates for what you are shipping, and ask the shipper to attach a visible 'packing slip' with the approved Customs description for the category to which the item belongs and the applicable duty rate. Otherwise you are at the mercies of the monkeys that process it, and they will stick whatever random duty rate on it they find first and bill you for it.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Based on the experience you're describing, I'd guess you ordered from Battaglin--I got a frame from them earlier this year, and don't remember how it was shipped, but wasn't charged any duties, and it arrived quickly once they finally shipped it.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:33 PM

Bikser, I've ordered almost all my frames from the EU (Italy, France, Belgium, Germany,UK). You're probably looking at less than 50% chance they hit you with duty. If they do, look to pay $150 or so. These, of course, are generalities.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:52 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the responses Paceliners. Happy Holidays
Old 12-24-2019, 01:04 PM

All those rescues available on the Marketplace and you had to go order a designer one from a breeder?

Oops, sorry, meant to post this on a puppy forum.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-24-2019, 03:43 PM

Ha

I've bought my share off the classifieds. I will say I won't go down the Italian designer road again though PITA.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikser View Post
I've bought my share off the classifieds. I will say I won't go down the Italian designer road again though PITA.
I bought my first custom frame from Condor Cycles, back before email. Send a check and an order form, wait four months.

Bought my second custom frame from Toby Stanton by accident. (Brought him a used cross frame to paint. He asked why I wanted it painted...as after paint, it would still be too large for me. When I asked where i could get a good cross frame in my size, he just smiled and looked around his shop...at all the cross frames in various states of construction.) New frame ended up costing just slightly more than double painting the old frame. D'oh. So I filled out a form, left a deposit, came back 8 weeks later (IIRC).

While the first experience went well (and I met Monty Young in person before he started building my frame), the second was even more enjoyable. And when we had to adjust the location of the canti bosses on the rear stays, it was easy for me to drive the frame back to Toby's shop, drop it off, and then come back a few days later. (I lived 40 minutes from his shop).

If I ever do another custom, I will have a strong preference for a local builder...or at least someone I can visit a couple of times...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy

Last edited by C40_guy; 12-25-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
All those rescues available on the Marketplace and you had to go order a designer one from a breeder?

Oops, sorry, meant to post this on a puppy forum.
Love this!
Old 12-24-2019, 04:08 PM

When I ordered a frame from Sarto in 2015/16 I did not have to pay any customs or duty fees. I came through DHL air service to the states and from there was delivered via USPS.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:09 PM

Sounds more like Pelizzoli. Ordered it in person at his shop in Bergamo. Promised -absolutely promised- frame at my door in 12 weeks, no problem. Months go by. More months go by. E mails unanswered. More time goes by. Finally get the finished frame eleven months later. It is a beautiful thing and rides like the wind.

But the communication...not so much. On the other hand, paid no duty.

Last edited by rccardr; 12-25-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikser View Post
I will say I won't go down the Italian designer road again though PITA.

Nah, can't paint everyone with the same brush. My experience with Bixxis was perfect. Doriano always responded within a couple hours, spent time preparing several options as we discussed geometry, promised 6 week delivery, and it arrived on the day at a reasonable price.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:09 PM

Nah

I'm not painting everyone with the same brush, but just didn't have the experience I had hoped for. I'm not naming builder as I don't want to disparage, and I think generally others have had good experience. It wouldn't have taken much effort for builder to have provided updates, met timelines, and be proactive IMO.

In contrast I bought a DeSalvo 10 years ago, Mike was always responsive and I think I had the frame in 3 months or so. Totally different experience, half the price, and far shorter timeline.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:15 AM

Bike frames/parts shouldn’t attract customs duty although it will depend on any existing US-EU trade agreement and I can’t recall offhand ... hoping it’s not Battaglin, I’ve got a frame in the queue with them!