Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 12:52 PM

Anybody need a book?

I had my last drink 24 years ago this month. Early on, I found reading books by people who had gone through the same thing, or who could provide sound advice about how to do it, to be very helpful.

If anyone would like any of these books, which I thought were good, PM me with your address and I'll get it/them out to you.

The Zen of Recovery - Mel Ash
Lit - Mary Karr
The Liars' Club - Mary Karr
Drinking, A Love Story - Caroline Knapp
The Recovery Book - Al Mooney, Arlene Eisenberg, Howard Eisenberg
Old 07-28-2020, 01:56 PM

I always open this thread when I see a new post. I am alcohol free since March 15th, 2015. Thanks to all who have participated in some way, whether it is your experience, words of support/understanding, or info on things to read regarding this particular subject. Whatever the reason, know that it is appreciated.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:15 AM

That's always great to see. My cousin is in a tough situation right now due to alcohol addiction and these messages are inspiring for sure. I also had instances what I was into alcohol back in my youth, but I was never over doing it the way he has been. Every time I try to talk to him about it he's completely denying me saying that there's nothing wrong with him. From what I can see he's just a functional alcoholic but if he keeps drinking a bottle of hard liquor a day he will end up with some serious health issues and I wouldn't want him to reach that point. This is one of the reasons I researched promis.co.uk and found out how they can treat his condition without making it a painful procedure.

Last edited by Alstra; 02-04-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:44 AM

It's been around 6-7 weeks since I decided to take a break again. I've found two beverages that supplant my sit-n-sip desire for real beer: https://athleticbrewing.com/collections/beer and https://hoptea.com/. Worth a shot if you want to cut back on the calories and negative impacts of alcohol but still like the flavor of hops and drinking something special.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
It's been around 6-7 weeks since I decided to take a break again. I've found two beverages that supplant my sit-n-sip desire for real beer: https://athleticbrewing.com/collections/beer and https://hoptea.com/. Worth a shot if you want to cut back on the calories and negative impacts of alcohol but still like the flavor of hops and drinking something special.
I've been intrigued by the Athletic Brewing offerings, but then the price scares me away. Do you just order straight from them online?
Old 02-03-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alstra View Post
That's always great to see. My cousin is in a tough situation right now due to alcohol addiction and these messages are inspiring for sure.
You bumped up this old thread just to say that? Are you trying to get your post count up, or what?

I haven't had any hard liquor since the pandemic began. It's better for my mental and physical health. I do occasionally have a bottle of beer or a glass of wine.

Last edited by fiamme red; 02-03-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
You bumped up this old thread just to say that? Are you trying to get your post count up, or what?

I haven't had any hard liquor since the pandemic began. It's better for my mental and physical health. I do occasionally have a bottle of beer or a glass of wine.
uncalled for IMO
Old 02-03-2021, 09:00 AM

Completely uncalled for.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallizes View Post
uncalled for IMO
No, it's not uncalled for. If you look at Alstra's other posts, you'll see that he or she (or it) is a spammer, e.g.:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...55&postcount=9

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...9&postcount=25

Last edited by fiamme red; 02-03-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
No, it's not uncalled for. If you look at Alstra's other posts, you'll see that he or she (or it) is a spammer, e.g.:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...55&postcount=9

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...9&postcount=25
Looks like you may be on to something. What a weird spammer though.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
I've been intrigued by the Athletic Brewing offerings, but then the price scares me away. Do you just order straight from them online?
I did. Yes, it's $12.99/sixxer, but I'm not putting away 4-5 of them a night. Just a few a week and compared to what I'd spend on wine or local IPA, that's pretty cheap. The stout is my favorite so far - tastes the most real - but I wish they'd do a nitro version.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoota View Post
Looks like you may be on to something. What a weird spammer though.
I don't get it either. Why would the same person post links to a cosmetic dentist in Ohio and a mortgage broker in England? And why edit posts days after they are made, presumably to add those links?
Old 02-03-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
I did. Yes, it's $12.99/sixxer, but I'm not putting away 4-5 of them a night. Just a few a week and compared to what I'd spend on wine or local IPA, that's pretty cheap. The stout is my favorite so far - tastes the most real - but I wish they'd do a nitro version.
Awesome, i just order a six pack of IPA and one of Golden Ale. Looking forward to trying them!

Quote:
I don't get it either. Why would the same person post links to a cosmetic dentist in Ohio and a mortgage broker in England? And why edit posts days after they are made, presumably to add those links?
Yeah super strange. It doesn't make sense at all. Apologies for my earlier post, someone should keep an eye on this person just in case.
Old 02-03-2021, 09:40 AM

You mean when you're sitting at your desk perusing Isle of Man RE listings on zillow, you don't suddenly wonder what would you do if you needed a crown replacement when passing thru Cleveland? Makes total sense.

Quote:
Old 02-03-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Paid per click or gets you to give an email?

Who knows.

Good call though.