Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 11:50 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Ok, now that we have blown our budget on nice knives, what do people use to sharpen (easily not taking hours)?
Use a steel (hone) everytime (maybe a couple times) you use the knife.

With a good blade, you should only need to sharpen (i.e. remove metal to renew the edge) a couple times per year....unless you are a professional butcher or use a crappy cutting board.

I have a Chefs Choice sharpener (does both Euro and Asian angles)...pretty idiot proof and not too expensive.

As stated above, never put in a dishwasher....

Last edited by Ozz; 12-11-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Crappy cutting board.
This brings up a good point - buy a good quality cutting board - Boos or otherwise. NOT plastic and NOT bamboo
Old 12-12-2019, 06:28 AM

Japan

Most of my kitchen knives I order from Japan. I have both carbon and SS. I like the quality of the steel that they make and can be sharpened easily and stay sharp. My CS knives are the best knives that I have and get used on a daily basis. They do need to be washed and dried soon after use but the blade quality is unsurpassed. I spend roughly $50 per knife and they far surpass any of the SS offerings from the german knives.
you owe it to yourself to give one or two a try, I am sure that you will see the difference.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:45 AM

Just get the Wusthof and don't worry about the price. You are paying for the name because the name stands for quality. I've had the Wusthof Classic for years now and it's as great as when I first opened the package. If you take care of it, this thing will outlive you and your children. Worth a hundred bucks? I'd say so.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:54 AM

I use a Nakiri knife most of the time. I have both CS and SS. It is a japanese vegetable knife.
Check out this ebay store in Japan. The quality is top notch and they have many different types of steel.
http://www.ebaystores.com/GEKKO-KNIVES
I have one like this and all I can say is wow.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kanetsune-J...EAAOSwkelcVSIz
Do a search of blue steel,white steel and layered steel on the web.
I find the balance and ability to stay sharp and take a edge is better that some of my German and Swiss steels.

Last edited by skiezo; 12-12-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Ok, now that we have blown our budget on nice knives, what do people use to sharpen (easily not taking hours)?
do you want a knife that seems sharp and is kind of sharp for a bit but not really?
get one of those weird things.

or do you want a safe and really sharp knife?

a 1000 grit stone is the best thing to sharpen with. its not difficult, its not that time consuming, and the time is does take is medatative. its a fun skill to learn, and there is no comparing to a knife sharpened with any other home method. no compare. i use a 2k and a 5k as well, but only because i like to, the 1k gets it arm hair shaving sharp.

sharpen on the stone to correct the edge of your blade. maybe once every couple of months. then use a leather strop to keep the edge keen. lots of people use a steel, but ive found a leather strop to be superior to a steel for honing my edges before use. a ceramic honing rod would also be better than steel.

if you cook as much as i do, all of this work is pleasant, and very useful. a couple good knives are your best friend in the kitchen. dull knives are how folks get hurt.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
I use a Nakiri knife most of the time. I have both CS and SS. It is a japanese vegetable knife.
Check out this ebay store in Japan. The quality is top notch and they have many different types of steel.
http://www.ebaystores.com/GEKKO-KNIVES
I have one like this and all I can say is wow.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kanetsune-J...EAAOSwkelcVSIz
Do a search of blue steel,white steel and layered steel on the web.
I find the balance and ability to stay sharp and take a edge is better that some of my German and Swiss steels.
this man knows a knife.
aogami blue steel is probably the best material for a knife, but it has to be cared for as its not stainless. so people avoid this material, knowing they cant leave it wet, or toss it in a drawer, as it may patina or rust. of course patina is just fine.

but very few steels hold a finer edge than aogami blue.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:21 AM

I use a Jewelstick most of the time to do my sharpening. I have a 2 sided/2 grit stick for maintaining the edge. A few times a year I break out the wet stones and do a nice edge and polish on the edges. No need for an electric sharpener with a quality steel blade, Just maintain the edge and a few times a year clean it up with quality japanese wet stones. Takes a few minutes per knife. Just get a bevel guide and easy peasy.
My slicer is a single bevel carbon blade and I can slice paper thin with that thing.
I have to take my knives to my in-laws as they think there cutco knives are the next greatest thing.
Here are my go to knives that I use on a constant basis. I do use a hard edge grain cutting board as well.

Last edited by skiezo; 12-12-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:23 AM

I have been a Shun user for some time. Have a 10" BLUE Steel KIRITSUKE that I use the most and an 8" Santoko my wife uses. Shun handle works best for me. Pinch grip, and surprised during all this chat about knives that the board or cutting surface you are using was not talked about.

End grain cutting board all day long. Nothing else is used on my knives. The feel is so nice and it is kinder to the edge of your knife.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Freebie for shipping

I have this for anybody that wants it for shipping

It's CERAMIC(oooo-ahhh). Good for bikes, good for fish...

Says 'YoshiBlade' on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4488.JPG (67.0 KB, 53 views)