Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
Tebow is beautiful and looks to need a dental!

Grey's are great dogs but the OP'r is in Victoria, BC. These guy's do get cold easily.

I would start with a cat and then maybe go from there.
Funnily enough, there’s a greyhound directly across the street from me. He’s elderly and has trouble walking, but his owners have him out faithfully. They love him. I actually have t seen him lately, which makes me wonder if he’s recently passed away

As for victoria, it doesn’t get too cold here. It’s like Seattle.

I saw a photo of a Pomsky last night - he’s cute! But we will likely find a nice dog at the shelter as many have suggested.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:32 AM

A rescue.

Definitely a rescue.

Older dogs make fantastic pets.

Ask the shelter - they know the animals. Everyone wants a puppy, but the older dog will forever be thankful and be a life long faithful companion.

Best!

D.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I'm a cat guy too and have had some VERY affectionate, engaged, great cats.
BUT, are the 8 and 10yo gonna 'play' with the dog? Be outside, be engaged?
Back yard? Where dog poops? Kids or you gonna clean it up? Kids play back there? Sometimes in bare feet?

Something to consider. If they want a 'play buddy', I'd say a dog(no idea about breed-see 'cat guy' above)..If not, I'd say get 2 cats..

Gotta say tho, I'm taking a break after losing my last cat, before losing his brother 2 years earlier..VERY hard, still hurts. Pets just don't last that long..

PLUS-if cats, PLEASE keep them inside..or if outside, with some human..Seen too many cats get hurt or killed around here(neighbor just lost one of his REALLY beautiful yellow cats(a brother also) to a raccoon, found him badly injured..not fair..)...
Yeah--I'm on a break too; I had one female tortoiseshell for ~15 years and a big calico tom for 20! They add so much much and it's hard to lose them.

I'll echo the "please keep them inside" sentiment. For all the reasons you mention definitely, but also because of just how good cats are at hunting. Pet cats' and feral cats' impacts on birds and other animals can be significant (and I think that's an understatement). Please, if you choose a cat as a pet, read up on the justified reasons to keep them indoors.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:57 AM

Don't forget the (professional) trainer too if you get a dog.
I don't recommend the PetSmart classes.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:52 PM

Yes, we have a small back yard. It’s a single family dwelling in a beautiful walkable neighbourhood, but the yard is small, so poop patrol would be critical

I don’t have a clue how we could keep cats inside with two kids controlling the gates, but hey, it’s possible. I know my next door neighbours cats are frequently seen terrorizing squirrels and birds. They’re big young and tough and are truly the thugs of the hood. Nice friendly cats, but destroying the small animal population
Old 12-08-2019, 02:04 PM

I have a blue heeler/Australian cattledog. He’s 10 months and is by far the quickest dog I or my family have ever had at picking up training. Incredibly smart and attentive dog. We got him at 3 months and in a week and a half he was house broken with no accidents since. Could not recommend the breed enough but they need serious attention.

Every morning we are on a walk with him before work. We come home and do the same 2mi walk. Then spend another hour or so playing frisbee or teaching new tricks. If he does not get the physical and mental workout he will find other outlets... He’s great with kids and other dogs but it took some doing to get there. These dogs are known to nip so you have to train them out of it. We do not have kids so if you do, be leery of having them run around the dog until you can work on the instinct to chase and nip at legs.

My parents have his brother from the same litter so they see each other often. Between the two of them, you can see what happens when you get a little too lax at certain aspects of training. They are extremely strong willed and it will take some getting used to if you’ve had other dogs/pets.

Even with all of this, I will likely never get another breed.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Go big or go home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20160418-WA0003.jpg (103.9 KB, 92 views)
Old 12-08-2019, 02:38 PM

A beagle mix from the shelter. Or whatever your kids fall for there. Took my kids to the shelter to find an Alaskan Malamute or similar. They almost immediately fell for this beagle puppy….and named her Alaskan. She lived well for 14 years. She liked everyone in the family....but she was my dog. If I was home....she was always with me. Could take her out with voice control only. Great disposition. She rests in our back yard....and the family still talks to her. When my grown kids come by for a visit....they go to the back yard and say a few words to Alaskan. Still miss her. Chokes me up thinking about her.

Last edited by Ralph; 12-08-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Rescue dog or cat. No purebred nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2019, 04:02 PM

Agree on the rescue

It's really satisfying to get a rescue and make one critter's life better. This little girl is 35 pounds, and is Aussie Cattle Dog, Border Collie, and Rat Terrier. Really smart, very spirited, and very sweet. Does best with a lot of exercise and goes through chew toys on a regular basis. Olympic level catcher of frisbees! She has been with us almost 10 months now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fiona and Weasel copy.jpg (119.8 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-08-2019, 04:06 PM

Another good reason for getting your kids a pet is herd immunity. Experts on the human biome say that one of the best ways to improve your immune system is to stick your face in your pet's fur and inhale. It's well established that farm raised children have better immune systems than their city raised counterparts.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence View Post
I have a blue heeler/Australian cattledog. He’s 10 months and is by far the quickest dog I or my family have ever had at picking up training. Incredibly smart and attentive dog. We got him at 3 months and in a week and a half he was house broken with no accidents since. Could not recommend the breed enough but they need serious attention.

Every morning we are on a walk with him before work. We come home and do the same 2mi walk. Then spend another hour or so playing frisbee or teaching new tricks. If he does not get the physical and mental workout he will find other outlets... He’s great with kids and other dogs but it took some doing to get there. These dogs are known to nip so you have to train them out of it. We do not have kids so if you do, be leery of having them run around the dog until you can work on the instinct to chase and nip at legs.

My parents have his brother from the same litter so they see each other often. Between the two of them, you can see what happens when you get a little too lax at certain aspects of training. They are extremely strong willed and it will take some getting used to if you’ve had other dogs/pets.

Even with all of this, I will likely never get another breed.
You are dead on about cattle dogs. I sister has had several. Very smart and intense, and you don't want to let them get bored.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
It's really satisfying to get a rescue and make one critter's life better. This little girl is 35 pounds, and is Aussie Cattle Dog, Border Collie, and Rat Terrier. Really smart, very spirited, and very sweet. Does best with a lot of exercise and goes through chew toys on a regular basis. Olympic level catcher of frisbees! She has been with us almost 10 months now.
Good looking dog. As long as they haven't had previous owners that have totally f'd em up, mixed breed dogs are the way to go. Way less issues with inbreeding and usually a more balanced disposition.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:20 PM

I’m more a cat person. I got my girl when she was about a month old...and she was a solo kitten for about a year. She was then moved into a home with two other cats, and she was happier solo. She gets along ok with male cats, but she didn’t with the two females she lived with. She’s been solo again for two years, and I think she’s happier.

She loves me, and is friendly to people, but I don’t think she likes other cat friends much.

As far as dogs, i’d probably think about a small-medium mutt of some sort. I know it’s less sexy, but I’ve found mutts often make the great pets. I think a puggle mix? I’d say a bull dog, but they often have heath issues.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron O View Post
I’m more a cat person. I got my girl when she was about a month old...and she was a solo kitten for about a year. She was then moved into a home with two other cats, and she was happier solo. She gets along ok with male cats, but she didn’t with the two females she lived with. She’s been solo again for two years, and I think she’s happier.

She loves me, and is friendly to people, but I don’t think she likes other cat friends much.

As far as dogs, i’d probably think about a small-medium mutt of some sort. I know it’s less sexy, but I’ve found mutts often make the great pets. I think a puggle mix? I’d say a bull dog, but they often have heath issues.
Mixing animals can be an issue. My wife always said, only 1 bitch kitty in the household. We broke that commandment with our last one. It was either our taking over ownership or another Vet agreeing to euthanize. It took some time for our cats to adjust, but hasn't been much of an issue. That said, the 2 females keep their distance.

Tags
cats, dogs