Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2018, 11:05 AM

My BMC Teammachine slr01. The best carbon ride I've experienced thus far. Feels incredibly comfortable for carbon, stable, and of course, responsive. It does everything well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bmc-teammachine-slr01-36028_2.jpg (147.1 KB, 445 views)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:37 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i'm going to order some parts to get my carbon bike on the road this week, thanks to this thread. the front shifting has always been crap, thanks to the wrong FD and crankset with clapped out 10s rings. stay tuned!

i think i should go to black bar tape too eh?

I dunno, I kinda like the red. But I am always black saddle, black tape guy. Put those carbon wheels on there while you are at it
Old 03-06-2018, 12:23 PM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Why Johnny Can't Read

iz joke! Beautiful (non-carbon) bike.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:05 PM

I love the color of your BMC SLR01. Mine is red and black and I can definitely relate. It is an awesome ride.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:07 PM
ZhugeLiang

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Why Johnny Can't Read

iz joke! Beautiful (non-carbon) bike.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM

Tim,

It’s a Canyon Ultimate CF. I believe it’s a 2012 model
Old 03-06-2018, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Here's my C-50...

Old picture of my Time VXR, it's been completely rebuilt with new components and wheels...

I've still got one of these, but this isn't my picture...

Finally, a picture from my Look 585 Ultra from this Saturday...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Look585_PalatkaBikeShop.jpg (113.0 KB, 419 views)
Old 03-06-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
I'm surprised I see so many Colnagos vs Pinarellos. I mean I'm surprised it's not more balanced. Just find it interesting..
One word: ONDA.

Quote:
i'm going to order some parts to get my carbon bike on the road this week, thanks to this thread. the front shifting has always been crap, thanks to the wrong FD and crankset with clapped out 10s rings. stay tuned!

1000% yes.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:

If those are neuvation wheels I’d strongly suggest trying different wheels before judging the bike too harshly. I had a set of m28 Aeros or whatever they were called and they rolled like absolute doo compared to even fulcrum racing 5.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
If those are neuvation wheels I’d strongly suggest trying different wheels before judging the bike too harshly. I had a set of m28 Aeros or whatever they were called and they rolled like absolute doo compared to even fulcrum racing 5.
they are indeed old neuvation wheels. they're on the bike really as foul weather wheels, but i will indeed be trying some other wheels on this bike. i've never really given it any fair amount of time on the road. once i update some parts to make it shift correctly and get different wheels/tires on it i'll give it a better evaluation.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post

Finally, a picture from my Look 585 Ultra from this Saturday...
As a Look owner, but owner of none of the other pictured bikes, I'm curious about your thoughts vs the other ones. I enjoy the Looks I've owned, especially the 585s and especially especially the 585 Ultras, which I do feel are a bit stiffer though I don't know if the feeling is just a placebo of sorts.

What do you think of your 585 Ultra?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:35 PM

super great time machine, looks radical. can you arrive before you leave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
Old 03-06-2018, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
As a Look owner, but owner of none of the other pictured bikes, I'm curious about your thoughts vs the other ones. I enjoy the Looks I've owned, especially the 585s and especially especially the 585 Ultras, which I do feel are a bit stiffer though I don't know if the feeling is just a placebo of sorts.

What do you think of your 585 Ultra?
I posted this in another thread a while back ago when discussing lugged carbon frames...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A View Post
For me (and I'm no expert), I feel like most of the ride qualities is based on the geometry, more so the differences in the carbon usage and/or design.

Time VXR has a steeper HTA and slacker STA which I happen to prefer. It also has a very tight rear end and so it seems to respond quicker to accelerations. When I first road this, I thought the back end was going to be too stiff, but I haven't found that to be the case at all. It really does handle the best (IMHO) of the three. The only downside it is a hair bigger than what I would call my perfect size.

The C-50 has a slack HTA with a 43mm offset fork which makes for some interesting trail numbers. Honestly, when I first rode this I did not like the way the front end handled. I have gotten used to this and it's super stable at faster speeds, but it still isn't my preferred geometry configuration. The size is perfect and I love the look of it. It doesn't seem as quite snappy as the VXR, but responds quick enough when you mash on the pedals.

Finally the Look 585 Ultra. I was actually helping a friend find a bike and he was looking at the 585/595 and I really didn't know much about them and started reading what I could to give him an informed opinion. The more I read, the more I wanted to give this bike a try. So when one popped up on the forum I decided to go for it. I built this up for climbing in the mountains of North Georgia and I must say it performed wonderfully. I was a bit nervous taking an unknown quantity to descend down the mountains at 40+ mph, but I had no problems at all. It has a slightly slacker HTA (73 deg) and uses a 43mm offset fork when a lot of bikes with this HTA use a 45mm offset. It also climbs nicely and feels very efficient so that most of your power is pushing you forward. I went with a medium which has a 54.5mm effective top tube length and it's the shortest one I own, but it too fits very nicely.

One negative for both the C-50 and 585 is the steepish STA which force me to push my saddle most of the way back (I have longish femurs) and I wouldn't mind finding a seatpost with more offset, although the C-50 uses a non-standard seatpost size of 28.0mm.

In summary, my opinion strictly based on the ride & handling is that the VXR > 585 Ultra > C-50. But you know what they say about opinions

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:57 PM

Huh. I thought Colnagos were also being made in Asia except for a few select models.

Is lugged only an aesthetic thing or does it contribute to ride?

Yeah.. totally get the classic look vs the Pina's weird escher shapes. THAT totally makes sense to me. I guess only Lionel is the fan then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
really? on a forum like this? I am not surprised there is no pinas here.

Colnago made in italy vs pinarello made in asia to start.

Colnago lugged, pina mold

Colnago more classic looking, Pina a bit more racey looking with crazy fork.

seems about right.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog View Post
Huh. I thought Colnagos were also being made in Asia except for a few select models.

Is lugged only an aesthetic thing or does it contribute to ride?

Yeah.. totally get the classic look vs the Pina's weird escher shapes. THAT totally makes sense to me. I guess only Lionel is the fan then.
The "C series" Colnagos are still being made in Italy, and I think all the other carbon frames are made in Asia. Not sure about where their top shelf aero road model is made.