Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2015, 12:27 PM
Daniel

I'm surprised I didn't see manual grinders until the 3rd page of the thread. This is the Paceline, right? Where everyone rides Campy, and if they drive it's a stick shift VW JSW?

I've wanted a Porlex for a while. Seems like they're the best manual grinders.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559Rando View Post
I'm surprised I didn't see manual grinders until the 3rd page of the thread. This is the Paceline, right?
cyclists have no upper body strength
Old 11-23-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZRM View Post
+1 on the Bodum Bistro. Less static build up in the glass holder. I've been using it daily for 3ish years with no problems. Very consistent grind.
Another vote for the Bodum. Before the Bodum, I twice watched Cuisinart grinders die after less than a year of service.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:08 PM

have the Capresso 560.01 mentioned above. consistent, no issues in 2+ years of service.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:25 PM

Thanks OP and all contributors--this is perfect timing as I'm in the market and started doing research a few days ago.

Minor thread drift - I was hoping to be all in around $150 for burr grinder and drop coffee maker. Is that possible? Here are some options I see (in price range, and then most recommended):

In Price Option -$115

--Capresso CM 200 ($70) [saw this recommended on Coffee Geek for gifts under $75 list, mixed Amazon reviews] http://www.amazon.com/Capresso-Speci.../dp/B00365EA6G
--Cusinart DBM-8 ($45) [just looked for electric burr grinders on Amazon] http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-...8341744&sr=1-1

Most Recommended Setup -$260

--Bonavita BV1900TS (Steel Carafe) ($130) [lots of recommendations on Coffee Geek and elsewhere] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._hps_bw_g79_i1
--Baratza Encore ($130) [widely recommended for non-espresso grinders] http://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Encore...EVW4662HT0FHWD

Is the first option decent? If not, what will I be missing taste wise? Any other substitutions to make the first option work under 150? As an aside I will also do french press and maybe get an immersion dripper.

Thanks all.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
--Cusinart DBM-8 ($45) [just looked for electric burr grinders on Amazon] http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DBM-...8341744&sr=1-1
I wouldn't buy it. I've had one for 5 or 6 years and the best thing I can say is that it works. It is messy and grinds inconsistently. I think it is about the lowest price of any burr grinder so it is a start. I don't hate mine,but since day 1 I've wished I had a better grinder. It was a gift so I shouldn't complain.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:46 AM

I had a similar Cuisinart, possibly the same model, and it broke after a short period. The Encore is a much better grinder.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:54 AM

I'll +1 the Encore Refurb from Baratza. Worth the money and gets you a nice consistent grind.

https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/comm...ction&key=485R
Old 11-24-2015, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
We picked up the Breville Smart Grinder about two weeks ago and espresso is all I do...so far it's working great. If you watch the review link I posted on the last page you'll see them test it to see if it will grind fine enough for one of their high end machines. We got a great price on it so it was worth checking out. So far, I'm liking it.

William

Ride Report:
Five months of five doubles a day of finely ground espresso and it's still working great.

Oh, and it planes!

William
Old 12-12-2016, 11:19 AM

Bump

Bumping this because, as with the OP last year, my Cuisinart burr grinder is on its last leg.

I brew with a Chemex, Clever or, more and more, with my Bona Vita drip machine (RIP original glass lined carafe) so accurate espresso grind is not important.

Seems like the Baratza Encore is a well favored model. Should I just get that one or is there worthwhile hand crank models to consider?
Old 12-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Antique Arcade hand coffee grinder...

I am serious hand grind your coffee and it will taste better. Moreover if you have the means get it from a civet's butt, Kopi Luwak FTW.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Vendor

I have a Capresso Infinity that I've been using everyday for the last 10 years (twice on the weekends). I've done nothing other than clean it out sometimes and wipe it down.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:43 PM

Capresso Infinity here as well. Grinds my coffee, doesn't complain going on 3 years I think.... Feels like I've had it forever.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:10 PM
extremely tall

Baratza Encore here too, going on 4yrs. No complaints; clean it out well every month or two, very consistent grind. Good value.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:36 PM

The great thing about baratza grinders is that you can buy any part that fails and replace it yourself. My friend has had multiple bodum bistros that stop working and grind terrible. No way to replace anything other than buying a new grinder...