Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephr View Post
When Publix took out their coffee grinders, we bought the Cuisinart burr mill coffee grinder.....its inconsistent -- one day will grind enough for 4 cups, the next 8...and its still on the same setting! Anyway, the thing is junk and we've had enough.

Sooo --- we buy whole bean coffee and use a coffee press, so, need something that does a good job with a coarse grind. I know you guys will give me some good options!

Does the above mean that you let the coffee grind effectively dispense out how much coffee you should have for N cups? I'm not a total coffee snob, but instead of worrying about that, I just weigh out the beans on a kitchen scale for how many cups we're making. Then just put those beans in the grinder. Then, the only setting on the grinder that matters is the fineness setting. It might sound cumbersome, but adds less than 30 seconds to prep time and you have a much more precise measurement.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 PM

I picked up a Capresso and so far so good. Used daily. No issues.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:34 PM
coffee consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart998 View Post

That's the one I'm complaining about. Its OK once you get it set, but my wife keeps fiddling around with the setting and I can't get her to change her way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackMan View Post
Does the above mean that you let the coffee grind effectively dispense out how much coffee you should have for N cups? I'm not a total coffee snob, but instead of worrying about that, I just weigh out the beans on a kitchen scale for how many cups we're making. Then just put those beans in the grinder. Then, the only setting on the grinder that matters is the fineness setting. It might sound cumbersome, but adds less than 30 seconds to prep time and you have a much more precise measurement.
it has different settings for n cups (2,4,6,8,10). Good idea about pre-measuring and not letting the machine do that part. Maybe could just grind a whole bag at a time or something. Either way, it produces a fair amount of coffee dust, which is annoying. Part of it too is that I'm frustrated with work/life at the moment and just want something that works the way its supposed to.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron 1804 View Post
Went with a refurb Baratza Virtuoso about 7 or 8 years ago and it has been perfect.

https://www.baratza.com/cgi-bin/comm...&category=RFRB

Operation and cleanup are a breeze and I never wonder if it is doing a good job. It just works like it is supposed to every time I use it.
Agreed. The sweet spot for grinders, especially if you make coffee in a variety of ways, as it can handle coarser grinds with fewer fins than grinders that excel with espresso grinds only.

Only down side is that with certain beans it generates a fair amount of mess that gets all over your countertop.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:57 PM

We have been using the Kitchen Aid Burr Grinder for a number of years. A little cleaning every now and then, and you're good to go with excellent results. This is a long term product which is really built.

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/count...096/KCG0702ER/
Old 07-14-2015, 01:13 PM

+1 again on the Rocky. Great stepped grinder so if you switch between drip, French and espresso, changes are easy.

Top choice if dedicated to a specific method is the Mazzer Mini stepless grinder. I have had mine dialed in for my Rancilio Sylvia Espresso machine for 7 years of perfect grinding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhuerta View Post
+1 ... my Rocky is an amazing, dependable work horse, with consistent grinds every time. Going on 10 years with mine.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:28 PM

At the end of the day it's a budget issue.

We have a Compak K3. It's GREAT.

Much better consistency and a joy to use compared to the Baratza grinder we had before. But the Compak is more expensive.

Though as someone already mentioned some espresso snobs laugh at the Compak, too. But for the money the Compak is it IMHO.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:41 PM

I've been using my Capresso Infinity for a few years now. Not a single issue and the grinds are consistent and perfect. I make pour over and Ice brew, so I stick to the Fine/Super Fine and the Coarse settings mostly.

I paid $100 for this thing, and it's going on it's 3rd or 4th year of daily usage. Best Burr grinder for the price. Capresso even includes a small parts replacement catalog for when things start to break.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Administrator

We picked up a Breville Smart grinder recently. So far works great and has an extremely consistent grind.

Good review here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5E1O3hvAOI

William
Old 07-19-2015, 08:18 PM

+1 on the Rancillio Rocky. I've had mine about 5 years now and use it daily for espresso. Very fine adjustment available on the grind. Has been 100% reliable and really seems to be commercial grade. I think it weighs more than my bike
Old 07-19-2015, 08:28 PM
'97 Ti Legend

+1 on the Bodum Bistro. Less static build up in the glass holder. I've been using it daily for 3ish years with no problems. Very consistent grind.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:41 PM

+1 on the Capresso, too

been doing cold brew for over 2 years and still going strong, no problems.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:30 PM

Baratza Virtuoso here. 7 years, no issues.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 AM
Administrator

I like Seattle Coffee Gear for reviews on most things coffee. They are goofy, but pretty good with the pros and cons. Here a few that have been mentioned in the thread

Breville Smart Grinder
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/br...-smart-grinder

Breville Smart Grinder Pro
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/br...rt-grinder-pro

baratza encore
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ba...encore-grinder

Baratza Virtuoso
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ba...s-redesign-586

Rancilio Rocky
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ra...coffee-grinder

Mazzer Mini
https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/ma...sso-grinder-v2

William
Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 AM

I have an Iberital Challenge for espresso (stepless, good value for the $$) and and the basic Baratza (maybe an Encore?) for drip. There isn't much under $200 that works well for espresso, including the low level Baratza. I bought the Baratza a few years ago and it recently stopped grinding. It turns out the original gears in that model would wear out, and this was a known issue. They actually have a retrofit gear kit for sale at a reasonable price, complete with detailed instructions (and video) about how to disassemble the whole thing and repair! For that alone I give them a big thumbs up.