Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
Facebook is a scourge on humanity. IMO, the world would be a much better place without it. Setting aside the wealth creation for founders, VCs, pension funds, employees and shareholders, Facebook’s contribution to the world is a net negative.
This is absolutely correct. Meanwhile, it exists and the comments about it are also correct. They created something people want.

The only thing I can do is not be a part of it. I deleted my entire activity log a few years ago (took a long time) and deleted my account. I'm under no illusion that that data is "gone" but at least it can't easily be found. I got rid of FB and it's been good. I urge others to do the same. It's like looking at a train wreck. Nobody wants to see it be nobody can look away either.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
Facebook is a scourge on humanity. IMO, the world would be a much better place without it. Setting aside the wealth creation for founders, VCs, pension funds, employees and shareholders, Facebook’s contribution to the world is a net negative.
Agree 100%. Zuckerberg always spouts the company line about making the world a better place (excuse me while I go vomit...), but not often enough, IMO, do I/we hear much about all the negative crap - the misinformation, disinformation, and much more. I'll stop there.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:37 AM

Facebook is the online equivalent of cigarettes (or opioids, except that FB is legal). It's a scourge, but people want it and are addicted to it.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:40 AM

Yet news article after news article says Facebook is spying on people.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...vacy%20laws%27.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...op/4795519002/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zakdoff.../#4094941131ce

You can stop some of it, not all of it, but something is better than nothing if you follow these guidelines: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-...ernet-activity
Old 07-31-2020, 11:41 AM

I think Facebook and social media are efficient communication tools as they were intended to be. The problem with all these internet platforms is that if not moderated they evolve into the Wild West type of lawless behavior- no inhibitions. Unfortunately it’s like the news in which only the bad stuff gets the most attention.

Our own little forum is more successful in that it is moderated to keep the discourse civil. As a result, this a constructive forum. If you ever read the Comments section on Wall St Journal articles, most of the responses are childish name calling.

I think if FB and the like don’t moderate more, they’ll become irrelevant. Folks will ignore because it becomes outlandish and annoying. At least I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I welcome you to create something that 1/4 of the planet uses, charges zero money for, and employs 45,000 people. Ready? Go.
Oh, it’s not free. The price you pay is surrendering a trove of information about who you are, who you know, where you go, what you do, what you like, etc. From Facebook’s perspective, you’re a bargain.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:42 PM

I can't wait for the day when it's finally learned that Facebook, Google, etc. are really arms of the "information gathering " apparatus" of gov't.

I'll take my tin foil helmet off now....

Incidentally, never used Facebook, never understood it. I know quite a few friends who post smiley happy photos of their families doing this, that or the other but behind closed doors things are just s&#! Appearances matter, apparently.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:04 PM

is Instagram or Twitter any different?
Old 07-31-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
is Instagram or Twitter any different?
No. If something is “free”, you are the product.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
I can't wait for the day when it's finally learned that Facebook, Google, etc. are really arms of the "information gathering " apparatus" of gov't.

I'll take my tin foil helmet off now....

Incidentally, never used Facebook, never understood it. I know quite a few friends who post smiley happy photos of their families doing this, that or the other but behind closed doors things are just s&#! Appearances matter, apparently.
Shiny Happy People. Haha. We’re all superstars on the “Custom Bike” section But yeah, Facebook is a heaping load of dung.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:46 PM

The S&P had a record close today. All losses due to the pandemic have been made up. Clearly, the economy has never been better!

Last edited by fiamme red; 08-18-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:23 PM

I've recovered my losses as of today. The mutual funds I bought several months ago at the dip are doing well. I'm hopeful that it will settle into slow growth without the swings.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I've recovered my losses as of today. The mutual funds I bought several months ago at the dip are doing well. I'm hopeful that it will settle into slow growth without the swings.
Same here. I was shocked at my losses when I checked a few months ago. Just checked again over the weekend and it’s higher than before the fall.

This is the meme I made after I saw how much I lost back in April:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DE0F9FDE-A56B-4F6C-AE01-B6F01ECAACCC.jpeg (131.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 08-18-2020, 06:52 PM

NYT: ‘This Market Is Nuts’: S&P 500 Hits Record, Defying Economic Devastation

Widespread economic devastation, severe unemployment and a grim prognosis for recovery have not stopped the stock market’s exuberance. And on Tuesday, that undying optimism propelled the market to a new high, pushing it past a milestone reached only six months ago, when the coronavirus was just beginning its harrowing journey across the United States.

“This market is nuts,” said Howard Silverblatt, senior index analyst for S&P Dow Jones Indices.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:07 AM

Apple hits 2t mv
https://is.gd/NX0PEO
It took Apple 42 years to reach $1 trillion in value. It took it just two more years to get to $2 trillion.

Even more stunning: All of Apple’s second $1 trillion came in the past 21 weeks, while the global economy shrank faster than ever before in the coronavirus pandemic.

On Wednesday Apple became the first U.S. company to hit a $2 trillion valuation when its shares climbed 1.2 percent to $467.78 in morning trading

Last edited by Tony T; 08-19-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Tags
economy, freemoneyhouse, game stop, i like this stock, stonks, wealth