Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2020, 03:02 PM

Trimm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BQovOJpav4
Old 07-28-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortx-Dave View Post
Heck - if you just need speed and distance and don't really need GPS just get a Cateye Velo 7 for <$30.00
Yeah, I got a Strada Slim, non-cadence version. I couldn't tell you now why I picked that one, but it's about twice the price of the Velo yet half or less of anything with GPS. I don't want or need the type of accuracy and records that a GPS unit will produce. For me, that's just more crap to stare at on a computer, and I know when I'm going farther/faster/shorter/slower without a computer anyway.

I think it was Sean Yates who never used one. It was part of the team kit, so it was on his bike, but never wired (we're talking pre-wireless days). It was obvious in pics of him riding in races.

RYOB (Ride Your Own Bike), but simplicity works for me.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:21 PM

Regarding the Garmin Edge Explore mentioned in post #6: I have the previous version, the Edge Touring. Gives me all I need since I’m into navigation rather than training. The only downside to both units is GPS altimeter. I want accurate information when on a ride, not having to run home, download the ride, then let the website do an autocorrect.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:25 PM

For me I'd not go without the navigation/mapping, but I don't actually use the navigation all that often. (As opposed to checking the map, which I do use quite a bit.)

The Units I have had since way back when:

- Garmin ETrex Vista
- Garmin eTrex Vista HCx (current but not used for biking anymore)
- Garmin Fenix 3
- Garmin Edge 1000 (current)

When I had the eTrex units they basically only went on the bike on days I knew I wanted navigation. My preferred computer back then was a Shimano Flight Deck. I loved how the Flight Deck could be programmed with your gear ratios and it could calculate your cadence from a ceiling function based on speed and avoided an extra sensor.

I used to go really far with just a laminated paper map FWIW, and on a lot of my day rides before there was a family I wouldn't be super concerned about getting lost and/or adding extra miles as long as I had plenty of daylight. My time is more restricted now.

No matter what the majority of rides have always been situations where I knew my way around and didn't need to navigate. So at this point I would never give up having PM connectivity and such.. I benefit from that every ride. That's me.. You can drop me almost any direction within 50-75 miles of my house on a given cycling route and I pretty much know how to get home fine or get to a destination, just maybe can't remember an exact route if there's some very specific group ride route or something I want to follow.

eTrex is still a decent option if it's cheaper or more convenient than the Edge Touring and such.. the eTrex mounts were just always a little clunky. But they're really nice for hiking and other uses too.

Last edited by benb; 07-28-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
See link for his last summary of units.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/11/...gy-buyers.html

Note that some may have been updated since then as there is always progress. My personal opinion is that these days most all are decent and it comes down to what you prefer. I really like my Wahoo Bolt due to ease of use and integration with Ridewithgps.com . I have hundreds of routes on my Bolt and the Wahoo app.

Read DC's reviews and think about how you want to use it. Do you want maps? Do you want it to be routable if you get off course? Do you want a major brand? What other sites do you want to integrate with such as Strava and Ridewithgps.

I think once you get away from Garmin or Wahoo you are going to be sacrificing some support potentially etc.

Talk to some friends who can help you get started as even the simple units can stump you some.

I can answer Wahoo questions if you have them by pm.

Alan
Thanks for the link!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:37 AM

Use a recent smartphone and get an app that goes with it. I use rwgps app.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:44 AM

A feature I've really enjoyed having in my Roam is "route to start". This lets me explore all kinds of new roads in new or old places, and then I just go to the map page, click on routes and "route to start", and it plots a fairly direct route back. Even if I don't use that route, it tells me exactly how far I am from home, so I know about how far out I can go before having to head for home.