Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2020, 10:30 PM

If you've not seen this, watch Tobias remove Di2 from his bike after crashing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOXSW3TuYJQ

that's a lot of wires and cables.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:47 PM

Well, my irrational desires got the better of me once again, so I'm going to dip a toe in the Red AXS water... Stay tuned for my initial impressions (in a couple weeks).
Old 05-26-2020, 12:01 AM

I don't own any electronics groupsets and everyday I think about just pulling the trigger. Originally I was only looking at AXS, but after pain of bleeding a SRAM Force groupset and then some sticky piston issues vs. the ease of fixing up some Shimano hydro brakes I just want to get myself off of SRAM.

Di2 seems less of a hassle the more I think about it, and if I'm getting a non-custom bike that's already drilled for Di2, that issue goes out of the window.

Plus the availability of cassette options is so much better for 11-speed. That alone is a big plus for right now.

Eventually I'm sure everything will go wireless, but it's not like I keep bikes for that long anyways!

When in the next Shimano electronic groupset due to release? Anyone know?
Old 05-26-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwin View Post
When in the next Shimano electronic groupset due to release? Anyone know?
They been pretty tight lipped but they run on 4-year product cycles and 9100 came out in 2016 so theoretically we should see it this year with availability next year.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:41 AM

Did anyone here buy the complete rim brake AXS group on FB OSM for $2250? I was so tempted to jump in but the chainring and cassette sizes were no bueno for me which made a great deal less appealing.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:04 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddykins View Post
I gave up on Campy around the time of really disappointing Gen 1 Super Record EPS, have been on Di2 since the beginning and my next bike is going to have AXS. While it is sort of tempting to hold out for presumed 12 speed/pseudo-wireless Shimano, I think it is hard to look past AXS for a new custom right now. Why install wire ports which may or may not be useless/'forward compatible'?
I'm still using Gen 1 Athena EPS with zero issues for 7 years..what was disappointing'??

'Wire ports and or holes for shift housing'..I donno..be a shame to have to sell the frame cuz something wireless wasn't available anymore..or the potential new owner doesn't buy it cuz they ARE mechanical or wired electronic kinda guy...

Kinda like when lever mounted shifting was all the rage and some frame makers took the down tube shifter brazeons off for head tube cable mounted stops or just cable stops..no DT shifters..I know a minority 'way back then', but of the Waterfords we sold, 100% were DT cable stop/DT shifter brazeons..just to give the customer all the 'options'...
Old 07-28-2020, 06:38 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDJ06IaF...d=3wlka575w1e3

AXS 53/39 rings pictures, I know these are on a team bike but maybe there’s hope for the rest of us!
Old 07-29-2020, 08:00 AM

Try a Campy 12 crank. It will work, but some bikes won't allow the FD to go high enough to clear even a 52.

A 50/10 is the same as a 55/11 and 48/10 is the same as a 53/11.