Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 12:04 PM

Red Bull comes out charging. Coupled with some comical clearance by Liverpool, that looked nervy as hell
Old 12-10-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Red Bull comes out charging. Coupled with some comical clearance by Liverpool, that looked nervy as hell
other half - Milik 3 - GNK 0
Old 12-10-2019, 01:13 PM

after missing two sitters, the Mo Salah runs down the wing and chips one from the short edge of the penalty area, at an incredibly tight angle

that was something...
Old 12-10-2019, 02:30 PM

Kind of disappointed not to see any talk about Son's wonder goal this weekend. He went by 9 of Burnley's 11 in his run.

A bummer of a side story from the same match was that a 13 year old Burnley "supporter" was thrown out of the match for making racist gestures towards Son.

Overall, it was a pretty bad weekend for people who oppose racism in the supporters' sections as there were several incidents at a number of matches. Humanity continues to disappoint.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
Kind of disappointed not to see any talk about Son's wonder goal this weekend. He went by 9 of Burnley's 11 in his run.
Good thing that you brought it up

Reminiscent of Maradonna, George Weah, and Iñaki Williams. Especially the latter two, as Son's goal also came from having just defended a dead ball in his own half. Also like the latter two, there's a moment during the first viewing when you start thinking, umm, this one would be spectacular if he scores. For Weah, it's when he dribbled into a crowd, briefly seemed to have lost possession, only to break free again. For Williams, it was that one outrageous flick-and-turn that saw him off to the races. For Son, it's when he decided to put on the after burners just before the halfway line.

Can't remember if you are a Spurs fan, but Mourinho seems to have turned the ship around for now.

Quote:
A bummer of a side story from the same match was that a 13 year old Burnley "supporter" was thrown out of the match for making racist gestures towards Son.

Overall, it was a pretty bad weekend for people who oppose racism in the supporters' sections as there were several incidents at a number of matches. Humanity continues to disappoint.
touché

seemed to have been an incident per match day. sad state of affairs

Last edited by echappist; 12-10-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:

... For Son, it's when he decided to put on the after burners just before the halfway line...

Can't remember if you are a Spurs fan, but Mourinho seems to have turned the ship around for now.
For me the first "oh $hit, he might pull this off" moment was when he split the defenders without breaking stride, then he played the perfectly placed and weighted ball into space... for himself! I have to admit it was terrible defending by Burnley as several men could have stepped to the ball or at least tried to steer Son to the sideline, but that's not taking anything away from the best goal I've seen this season. What a ride!

I have to admit, I was upset when Pochettino got sacked and thought he had earned more time to right the ship, but the team's play under Mourinho shows that he had lost the locker room and it was clearly the right move. I've never been much of a Mourinho fan and we all know he has a short shelf life at the helm, but hopefully he can deliver some silverware before he expires.

COYS!!
Old 12-10-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinvc View Post
For me the first "oh $hit, he might pull this off" moment was when he split the defenders without breaking stride, then he played the perfectly placed and weighted ball into space... for himself! I have to admit it was terrible defending by Burnley as several men could have stepped to the ball or at least tried to steer Son to the sideline, but that's not taking anything away from the best goal I've seen this season. What a ride!

I have to admit, I was upset when Pochettino got sacked and thought he had earned more time to right the ship, but the team's play under Mourinho shows that he had lost the locker room and it was clearly the right move. I've never been much of a Mourinho fan and we all know he has a short shelf life at the helm, but hopefully he can deliver some silverware before he expires.

COYS!!
For the sake of Spurs fans, I hope he can do that for you

that said, he's already back to playing (unprovoked) mind games, this time needling Herr Flicks of Bayern. Just Jose being Jose, I guess

A bit disappointing that Ajax won't make it to the knockout rounds, and to think, that double red in the match of Chelsea really changed things...

An Ajax - Salzburg final would make for a really compelling match
Old 12-10-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
For the sake of Spurs fans, I hope he can do that for you

that said, he's already back to playing (unprovoked) mind games, this time needling Herr Flicks of Bayern. Just Jose being Jose, I guess

A bit disappointing that Ajax won't make it to the knockout rounds, and to think, that double red in the match of Chelsea really changed things...

An Ajax - Salzburg final would make for a really compelling match
Major disappointment - especially in light of last year.
Inter's ouster is bit disappointing.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:54 PM

@wc1934, and Ancelotti gets canned?

Yikes

I mean, I know they aren't doing as well in the league, but they've had a brilliant UCL Group Stage.

And the rumour is that Gattuso is the replacement? Madness...
Old 12-10-2019, 08:16 PM

On a side note: Amazon Prime apparently just bought the rights for one UCL top match (Tue or Wed) per stage starting with the 2021/2022 season.
Not sure they will broadcast in the US or whether this will be limited to European Prime members.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
@wc1934, and Ancelotti gets canned?

Yikes

I mean, I know they aren't doing as well in the league, but they've had a brilliant UCL Group Stage.

And the rumour is that Gattuso is the replacement? Madness...
De Laurentiis is an ass. Ancelotti off to Arsenal or Everton?
Old 12-16-2019, 07:40 AM

CL draw:

Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid

Real Madrid vs Manchester City

Borussia Dortmund vs Paris Saint-Germain

Chelsea vs Bayern Munich

Lyon vs Juventus

Barcelona vs Napoli

Tottenham vs RB Leipzig

Atalanta vs Valencia
Old 12-16-2019, 07:45 AM

Despite a few teams slacking a bit, these are mostly even matches, except for PSG BVB (whom I think will get walloped in Paris).

Napoli v Barça is going fo be tasty, for sure.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:43 AM
Strong Walker

Real - City, Liverpool - Atleti, Barca - Napoli and Bayern - Chelsea means a few serious contenders won't see the round of 8.

Tottenham vs RB Leipzig and Atalanta vs Valencia i regard as outsider clashes/pretty much open, only PSG-BVB and Juve-Lyon i feel have favourites. Interesting round for sure!
Old 12-16-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Real - City, Liverpool - Atleti, Barca - Napoli and Bayern - Chelsea means a few serious contenders won't see the round of 8.

Tottenham vs RB Leipzig and Atalanta vs Valencia i regard as outsider clashes/pretty much open, only PSG-BVB and Juve-Lyon i feel have favourites. Interesting round for sure!
You are right about Lyon. I forgot that two of its players suffered ACL injuries in the same match, one of them Depay.

This is probably the most intense round of 16 in quite a while