Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2019, 07:25 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
..not sure now but Campag always made their chains in Vicenza..
The first Campagnolo 8spd groups came with Roloff chains, iirc
Old 12-04-2019, 08:23 AM

"Campagnolo users, regardless of the level of Campagnolo drivetrain used, should stick with Campagnolo Record chains. They’re brilliant."

Well, this flies in the face of my "buy the cheaper chain, it's a consumable" approach
Old 12-04-2019, 08:32 AM

Even Shimano vs Shimano... I would expect an XTR chain to be more durable than an Ultegra or Dura-ace, just as I would expect the latter to be more efficient.[/QUOTE]

XTR/D-A are the same chain. XT/Ultegra as well. Its a 901, 801

I thought KMC made both Shimano and SRAM chains?
Old 12-04-2019, 08:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Even Shimano vs Shimano... I would expect an XTR chain to be more durable than an Ultegra or Dura-ace, just as I would expect the latter to be more efficient.
Quote:

Quote:
KMC Chains: KMC Chains are made by KMC Chain Industrial Co Ltd, a roller chain manufacturer in Taiwan with outlets in the US and Europe. They make and manufacture bicycle chains, as well as other components under the name of KMC, and distribute them to other companies, including Shimano.
sram
Quote:
The Coimbra factory's first contract came from the French manufacturer Peugeot, who needed chains for its bicycles and mopeds. Then came Sedis chains. The German bicycle, motorcycle and automotive component manufacturer Sachs ultimately acquired the Sedis brand and then, in 1997, SRAM bought the Sachs bicycle division. And with that, SRAM Portugal was formed.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 12-04-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
Even Shimano vs Shimano... I would expect an XTR chain to be more durable than an Ultegra or Dura-ace, just as I would expect the latter to be more efficient.

I thought KMC made both Shimano and SRAM chains?[/QUOTE]

I doubt that KMC makes SRAM chains, because KMC chains generally come from Taiwan whereas SRAM chains are made in Portugal.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 AM

after decades of meticulously cleaning and measuring to ensure max service life, now I just wipe with a rag after each ride and replace the KMC x10sl chain every 10K miles whether it needs it or not.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:15 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Winter's barely started and we're navel gazing over 'the best chain' already?!

Man! this one's gonna be a long one

M
Old 12-04-2019, 12:05 PM

This is my quote,

the other Shimano vs shimano was cut from above
Old 12-04-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
in 1997, when Campag went to 9s, it was somewhat of a surprise to shimano and they toot sweet produced a 9s group to compete..Pretty sure their chains were never made by 'shimano' but KMC(maybe an urban legend)..not sure now but Campag always made their chains in Vicenza..

I think in general, modern bike chains are all pretty close in terms of performance and longevity with teeny differences discovered in a lab test but in actual riding/cleaning, etc...it's kinda a wash. Noise, durability(they don't break), shifting performance-wise.

Yes, if you can find one.

'Once upon a time..XTR and DA were the same chains(9s? 10s?)..I doubt XTR is 'more durable' than DA nor XT 'more durable' than Ultegra, and DA isn't 'more durable' than ultegra or even 105....mostly weight(holes in side plates) and finish, more shiney-more $$....

"Least expensive compatible", still applies to chains, cogsets, other 'consumables..IMHO...
XTR and DA are still the same, other than xtr is on 12s now, but the 11 and and 9 were the same. The inevitable DA12s will probably use the current CN9100

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...chain-11-speed
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NhdDEwMDY0Mw==https://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/...st-results.jpg
Old 12-04-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
"Campagnolo users, regardless of the level of Campagnolo drivetrain used, should stick with Campagnolo Record chains. They’re brilliant."

Well, this flies in the face of my "buy the cheaper chain, it's a consumable" approach
I wonder why the Chorus chain would not do as well as Record in their test? I thought the only difference was hollow pins for Record vs solid for Chorus. In any event, I bought a Chorus 12s spare chain at nearly half the price of Record.

Tim
Old 12-08-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
I wonder why the Chorus chain would not do as well as Record in their test? I thought the only difference was hollow pins for Record vs solid for Chorus. In any event, I bought a Chorus 12s spare chain at nearly half the price of Record.

Tim
Probably because pin wear matters for roller wear, and solid pins aren't as hard as hollow ones have to be.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:47 PM

The difference between chorus and record was very small. You'd have to test several of each to determine a winner. Chorus chains cost less.

I'd be shocked if any campy chain showed .5% elongation after 3000 miles. I've used a campy 10 for 6,000 and never came close to that much. I was using home brew oil/mineral spirits lube back then.

Last edited by Dave; 12-08-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:28 PM

I use the cheapest chain I can find. Then never clean it and it lasts about 12 months! PB blaster is my lube of choice.......I do about 10 grand in miles a year

Last edited by Robot870; 12-08-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot870 View Post
I use the cheapest chain I can find. Then never clean it and it lasts about 12 months! PB blaster is my lube of choice.......I do about 10 grand in miles a year
Call me skeptical - short time member with few posts.

How many chains get used before the cassette is replaced?

I once used a campy 10 chain for 6000 miles. Elongation was low, roller wear and side clearance wear were huge. Also got new-chain skip when a new chain was installed.

With 12 speed there are no cheap chains or cassettes. I wouldn't recommend your procedure to anyone.

Last edited by Dave; 12-10-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:43 PM

Hey Skep - I live in Manhattan and ride 6 days usually all year - I really only burn about 1 cassette a year......Even a 1090 lasted for 12 months once.........But I've also had the same IF SEC for 10 so I guess things just last with me.........PB is a cheap penetrating oil....it works! Almost forgot your question - I go 1 for 1 so when the chain goes so does the cassette. Cheap because I use a 105 CS-R7000!

Last edited by Robot870; 12-08-2019 at 07:33 PM.