Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2021, 11:47 AM

Seven Tsunami - Upgrades

What are everyone's thoughts on what I should upgrade on my Seven?

I am really happy with the bike, and has been by far the most fun I have had on a bike. Although it was build as a CX race bike, I mainly use it a gravel and single track bike. It spend way more time on the dirt then it does the road.

Think I probably won't replace at this time. Frame of course, Thomson seatpost and stem, Paul neo-retro and touring cantilever brakes, and Easton wheelset.

I am thinking of replace the fork with a Whisky NO7 CX QR Canti fork, there is not issue with the Ritchey fork. Aesthetically I simply like the look of the Whisky over the curved Ritchey fork. Also I think it will give the bike a more modern look.

Also, thinking about a new drivetrain, currently Campy Record 10 speed with compact crankset. I am thinking of going to a 1x setup, currently having constant issues with my front derailleur. And I am looking at the White Industry crankset, I like the idea of MUSA components.

Finally I am not a huge fan of the Ritchey carbon flat-top bars but can live with those for now.

I am thinking of buying a modern all road bike but that would be in addition to this bike, at this point I am treating this as a 'forever' bike. My current line up is the Seven, and a carbon Scott Addict (rim brakes). I would probably get rid of the Scott with the modern all road bike, thinking of putting a deposit down on a steel Rock Lobster. Then also looking for a hardtail mountain bike. So ideally I would have three bikes, the Seven, an all road and a mtn bike.

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2064 copy.jpg (148.8 KB, 367 views)
Old 02-01-2021, 11:56 AM

If this is a forever bike, first things I'd do would be to swap out the cages for ti Kings and swap out the bars for something with a more traditional bend (Thomson KFCs). Then maybe think about the fork.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvernon View Post
What are everyone's thoughts on what I should upgrade on my Seven?

I am really happy with the bike, and has been by far the most fun I have had on a bike. Although it was build as a CX race bike, I mainly use it a gravel and single track bike. It spend way more time on the dirt then it does the road.

Think I probably won't replace at this time. Frame of course, Thomson seatpost and stem, Paul neo-retro and touring cantilever brakes, and Easton wheelset.

I am thinking of replace the fork with a Whisky NO7 CX QR Canti fork, there is not issue with the Ritchey fork. Aesthetically I simply like the look of the Whisky over the curved Ritchey fork. Also I think it will give the bike a more modern look.

Also, thinking about a new drivetrain, currently Campy Record 10 speed with compact crankset. I am thinking of going to a 1x setup, currently having constant issues with my front derailleur. And I am looking at the White Industry crankset, I like the idea of MUSA components.

Finally I am not a huge fan of the Ritchey carbon flat-top bars but can live with those for now.

I am thinking of buying a modern all road bike but that would be in addition to this bike, at this point I am treating this as a 'forever' bike. My current line up is the Seven, and a carbon Scott Addict (rim brakes). I would probably get rid of the Scott with the modern all road bike, thinking of putting a deposit down on a steel Rock Lobster. Then also looking for a hardtail mountain bike. So ideally I would have three bikes, the Seven, an all road and a mtn bike.

Thoughts?
1x drivetrain would be smart, something like SRAM Force 1. That bike has a "pulley" for the front derailleur which might add to friction and the issues you're having. Best to chuck it if you can achieve what you want in a 1x drivetrain.

If those brakes are working for you great. They're the best canti brakes money can buy. However I think 'mini V's' like the Paul Mini Moto are a huge improvement in power and brake feel.

Nice bike!
Old 02-01-2021, 11:59 AM

Oh, and if you upgrade the drivetrain sell me that crank!
Old 02-01-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feFIFO View Post
If this is a forever bike, first things I'd do would be to swap out the cages for ti Kings and swap out the bars for something with a more traditional bend (Thomson KFCs). Then maybe think about the fork.

I completely agree, King ti cages are on the list of upgrades, but will probably be one of the last things I upgrade after swapping out the components.

Also I prefer a more traditional bend on the bars as well, but honestly I hardly ever ride in the drops. Also I am not sure if I should go carbon or aluminum for the bars.

The more I think about it the more I am thinking of starting with the fork first.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:11 PM

It is a little dated but that frame is sweet. Here's what I would do in order of budget-

Cheapest would be get compact/ergo bars, something like Zipp SL70 ergo or Salsa cowbells or most any other brand that makes similar bars. And set the end of the drops parallel to the ground pls. And new tires, set up tubeless. Those wheels look great, are they the new R90SL rims? They look it. If they are they're tubeless ready.

Medium I'd probably add a groupset. Shimano makes Ultegra R8000 with a clutched derailleur that works for both 1x and 2x, and has cross and compact rings, and works great with an 11-34. With the clutch the shifting on rough surfaces is really great. You can of course get the WI cranks, but I didn't have great shifting experiences with them. The finish on them is great and I think they look great, which may be more important than performance to you. Rival 1 is also sweet. Having had both I don't feel that Force 1 is much of an upgrade for the price, save your money and spend it on a crank, either White Ind or Easton EC90 which is very light and looks great IMO. Would of course match the wheels.

Last, do the fork and match the cockpit. You can get the Whisky fork which is definitely your best bet, and you can also match the cockpit. They make the cowbell handlebar and just call it the 12F, and have one with more and less flare, alloy and carbon. They make a really affordable carbon post too, and you might need a longer stem to compensate different bars. Zipp Service Course SL would be cool too. The Thomson stuff is nice, but it definitely contributes to looking dated, and I find Thomson to be one of the least comfortable seatposts on the market, especially the straight one. Carbon adds a noticeable amount of comfort.

Just what I would do.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
1x drivetrain would be smart, something like SRAM Force 1. That bike has a "pulley" for the front derailleur which might add to friction and the issues you're having. Best to chuck it if you can achieve what you want in a 1x drivetrain.

If those brakes are working for you great. They're the best canti brakes money can buy. However I think 'mini V's' like the Paul Mini Moto are a huge improvement in power and brake feel.

Nice bike!
I did look at the Paul Mini Moto's and even the classified with the blue Mini Moto, and thought of them to match the blue headset to possibly go with Chris King blue bottom bracket I am looking at if I go 1x. But didn't know if the blue would be to matchy-matchy. Also I am pretty happy with the Paul setup I have now.

Also I saw a few classified ads around the web for Campy stuff and didn't realize how much I could possibly sell some of the drive train.

If I do replace the cranksets I will let you know.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:31 PM

That is a beautiful frame.

I had an old Bontrager CX cyclocross bike with the same pulley setup for the front derailleur. I ran Shimano components and had to constantly adjust the front derailleur. I finally gave up and made my own single chainring crankset using Shimano road components.

I like my White Industries crankset and have nothing but good things to say about it.

You could run the new Ultegra or GRX medium cage rear derailleur that have a clutch to reduce chain slap. I use the GRX rear derailleur on my gravel bike and does pretty well at controlling chain slap and shifts great. Either will work with the Ultegra shifters. The GRX shifters are for disc brake only I believe.

There are a lot of options out there right now. You will have a great time sorting it all out and building the bike.

I look forward to seeing photos of you finished product.

Ride safe and stay healthy.

Last edited by BlueHampsten; 02-01-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:52 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Oh, and if you upgrade the drivetrain sell me that crank!
crap....beat me to it.....I want to be #2 in line!
Old 02-01-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
I completely agree, King ti cages are on the list of upgrades, but will probably be one of the last things I upgrade after swapping out the components.

Also I prefer a more traditional bend on the bars as well, but honestly I hardly ever ride in the drops. Also I am not sure if I should go carbon or aluminum for the bars.

The more I think about it the more I am thinking of starting with the fork first.

OK maybe I lied, and might have to pull the trigger on the King Ti cages, found media blasted ones on Agave Finish Works site for the same price as normal King cages.

https://www.agavefinishworks.com/sho...-blasted-matte

Also why put off the inevitable.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
OK maybe I lied, and might have to pull the trigger on the King Ti cages, found media blasted ones on Agave Finish Works site for the same price as normal King cages.

https://www.agavefinishworks.com/sho...-blasted-matte

Also why put off the inevitable.
Nice ti frames need ti King cages. It's an immutable law of the universe.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:28 PM

I am a big fan of updating bikes and riding them for a long time, so here are some thoughts...

1. Whisky fork is great. Comes black, but you can get it painted to add some color.

2. Brakes - either stay with what you have, or for Canti's look at the Rene Herse. For Mini-V's, the Paul's are great, as are the TRP's which are less $$.

3. Cranks - in addition to the White Ind, have a look at the Easton cranks - aluminum or carbon as options.

4. Drivetrain - consider a big overhaul/service? The Record stuff is nice. But this will only work if you stay on a 2x system. Otherwise, Ekar is out as they are only hydraulic disk, so Shimano (Ultegra/GRX mix) or SRAM.

5. I like the Thomson stuff - seatpost is lighter than most carbon posts.

6. Tires? How wide can you go? Rene Herse 38's? Comfy and fast.

7. Might as well order the bottle cages...

Then go riding!
Old 02-01-2021, 05:04 PM

I wish they did the iris cages in Ti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feFIFO View Post
Nice ti frames need ti King cages. It's an immutable law of the universe.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:06 PM

The Whisky 12F slightly flared bars are terrific. They are short reach (important for me) and you may find you need a longer stem, as suggested
Old 02-01-2021, 08:55 PM

I have a similar bike, Seven IMX cross that I rebuilt somewhat. I use it mostly for dirt road riding, as I have newer disc bikes for racing cx. I thought about sending it in to get disc tabs put on but decided not too.

The upgrades/changes I have done are the following:

Redshift stem.

New wheels Belgium/CK hubs.

Paul mini motos.

38 rear/40 front tires.

I put a bunch of miles on the bike this summer and really enjoyed it. There were a few days where I wished for bigger tires. Those are the freshly graded roads days.