Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2018, 05:32 PM
DELETE ACCNT

I have Audis and they are reliable. The most reliable compared to BMW and Merc.
Mercs are so cheaply made now. They are garbage and I have no qualms saying that. The quality of the components is total trash. There are a couple good models.

Audi went to all screens for 2019 interiors- no buttons- so those are going to be worthless on the used market. Value will crater bigger than a S-class.

Toyota can be boring but they are great vehicles. Most need cars as tools- and tools are boring but good ones always work and people appreciate that.
For an SUV, I don't need anything sportier than a RX F-Sport. And those are indestructible.

They don't have the sexy, understated German thing but they also don't require even half the maintenance.
And the cheapo plastics and components the Germans use... just disposable garbage.
The cost for fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
I briefly had a '93 W124 diesel. Stupid things broke on that car which were not fixable -- taillight cluster @ $200, for example. Very different ergonomics than other german cars, and it couldn't move under its own power in snow, with new Nokian snows...

So I went back to Audi. Similar year Audis were better thought out, both mechanically and ergonomically. Seemed to be a generation more advanced for
similar production years.

All four of my Audis have 100K or more miles. I like to buy them at about 100K...depreciation curve has flattened out, initial mechanical and electrical bugs have been addressed.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreebs View Post
(haven't heard much from anyone on the volvo front)..
I had a 98 Volvo V70R for about a year. Bought it cheap because it needed work. I was amazed at how easy it was to get parts for from FCP Euro and a couple other websites. Some parts were very reasonably priced and others were ridiculous. Some parts are easy to replace (heater core is a 10 minute job!) but things like a PCV valve took 4-6 hours.

Great to drive (especially the V70R with turbo/awd), really comfortable and mileage was surprisingly decent. I'd buy another Volvo for sure. $5k would buy quite a nice one.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post

My Dad always told me to buy something top of the line and 1-owner if possible. That 1st owner has probably cared for the car better than a less expensive car.
I was always told that as well, but I have been looking at some Subarus and Toyotas lately, and the price difference between brand new and a couple years old isnt enough for me to go for the used. I am just paranoid that the used car was either a loaner or a lease that someone knew they were giving back after a few years so they didnt take care of it.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:01 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
I was always told that as well, but I have been looking at some Subarus and Toyotas lately, and the price difference between brand new and a couple years old isnt enough for me to go for the used. I am just paranoid that the used car was either a loaner or a lease that someone knew they were giving back after a few years so they didnt take care of it.
My X3 was a company car for it's 1st owner. It isn't always bad

M
Old 12-12-2018, 12:28 PM

I was driving to pick up pizza the other night and drove past a Prius parked on the street with a for sale sign. I hopped off and took a peek, it's a 2011 base model, 182k miles on it. In very nice shape overall, but missing a panel piece under the drivers side doors. The owner bought it new and has driven it daily (highway miles mostly) as part of his service business. He's asking $5400 for it, and I'm taking it for a test drive tonight. We'll see how that goes, I guess? Would an offer of ~$4600 be out of line, assuming I like it enough to pursue further? KBB didn't give me a great feel for value, and the guy told me he turned down an offer of ~$4200 last week.

Any opinions on whether or not a pre-purchase inspection is necessary/worth it?
Old 12-12-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
always take it to a shop for a quick once over.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:23 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
I was driving to pick up pizza the other night and drove past a Prius parked on the street with a for sale sign. I hopped off and took a peek, it's a 2011 base model, 182k miles on it. In very nice shape overall, but missing a panel piece under the drivers side doors. The owner bought it new and has driven it daily (highway miles mostly) as part of his service business. He's asking $5400 for it, and I'm taking it for a test drive tonight. We'll see how that goes, I guess? Would an offer of ~$4600 be out of line, assuming I like it enough to pursue further? KBB didn't give me a great feel for value, and the guy told me he turned down an offer of ~$4200 last week.

Since it's a car you are unfamilar with, inspection is cheap insurance.
I think the only big thing to check is the condition of the batteries. Although I have read even replacing these is a easy DIY.

182k is a lot, pay attention to wear items like tires and tire wear pattern, shocks, bushings, brakes, HVAC all functional.
From all accounts, a very bulletproof car.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:31 PM

edit

Quote:
I hopped off and took a peek, it's a 2011 base model, 182k miles on it. In very nice shape overall, but missing a panel piece under the drivers side doors. The owner bought it new and has driven it daily (highway miles mostly) as part of his service business. He's asking $5400 for it, and I'm taking it for a test drive tonight. We'll see how that goes, I guess? Would an offer of ~$4600 be out of line, assuming I like it enough to pursue further? KBB didn't give me a great feel for value, and the guy told me he turned down an offer of ~$4200 last week.

Age is not too terrible (for the basic car) but that is a lot of mileage for the money.

If the basic car works (& was inspected) and doesn't have too much rust, you have to then factor time and use of the battery pack.........I wouldn't recommend anything beyond $US3K.

But that's me......I think many used car prices are too high.

As too pre purchase inspection, absolutely. I know my way around cars (I take them apart, fix electric modules, etc) but I would still have my trusted shop (extra eyes) take a close look.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:38 PM
Administrator

as said, that's a lot of miles, and even the best made cars are having major stuff just worn out by then.

on a test drive, turn the radio off and make a point to go over some major bumps and rough road. see how the suspension feels and how it absorbs shock. listen for odd clunks. how much play is in the steering, the rack has a lot of miles on it and may have excessive play. check condition of all rubber stuff, hoses belts, bushings etc. ideally you would want to have some idea of how much, if any oil the engine is burning, and what condition the transmission fluid is in as a telltale sign for how it's operating. condition of the exhaust system front to back, including the engine header.

i do all my own car stuff and would be comfortable with inspecting it myself, but otherwise, i would have a pro look at it.

no way i would pay 5k for a prius in spitting distance to 200k. under 3k is better.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:00 PM

I know a bit about cars, but nothing about the Prius. I'd at least check Consumer Reports for a check on Repair Frequency and weak areas of the car to look out for.
Any good shop ought to at least be able to check suspension areas for you, even if they don't know Hybrids.

Last, go to Autotrader.com and find what the cars seem to be selling for in your area. Remember asking price seldom is selling price.

My gut tells me I'd rather be driving a Camry with this kind of milage instead of a Prius...but I'm old school.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:19 PM

4k gets you a lot of used honda fit, just saying.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:54 PM

I know a bunch of people have commented on a Honda FIT. Mine will be on a truck on its way here, in my original post I said that it wasn't a good highway car. I spent last night reading up on making it more enjoyable for highway miles - solution - DYNAMAT the heck out of it! It'll make the noise more tolerable.

BTW, a Prius with that many miles shouldn't be a huge deal because it runs on gas for highway miles? (doesn't it?) Personally, I would try and find a car under 100k miles.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:24 PM

After driving European cars as daily drivers for a majority of my adult life, I've given up on them and become a believer in used Lexus products for primary transportation. They have fantastic materials/build quality and have the typical Toyota reliability. It seems that many of them have received a higher level of attention and maintenance from their owners perhaps due to their pricepoints when new. It's hard to beat a well-cared for 10-15 year old Lexus as a daily driver. LS, GS, ES models are great options in their sedan line and the RX (330 or 350) and GXs (470) are great SUV options.

The only Euro cars that I'll have now are old classics for weekends/occasional use.

Texbike
Old 12-12-2018, 07:29 PM

I'm thinking about leasing/financing 2019 Mazda 3 Hatch, they also have a sedan model. The design looks great - exterior and interior wise. They now offer AWD and manual so that is a huge plus. I was considering Subaru but Mazda is killing it with this 2019 line-up.

If you want to check it out, It will be available sometime next year.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 PM

Mario Cippolini would not approve of this thread full of discussion about practicality, Toyota camry's and miles per gallon.

“I read an interview with Umberto Veronesi, a scientist, a reputed oncologist and Minister for Health,” Cipollini continued. “In five hundred years or more, human beings might have both sets of genitalia, male and female. I don’t want this evolution to have started already in cycling…”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cipo...k-of-machismo/

Tags
honda, subaru, toyota, volkswagen, volvo