Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2024, 09:24 AM
Administrator

[what's left of] Eroica Ca cancelled

With no explanation.

What a shame. What looks like it was once a great event has been decimated.

Quote:
We regret to inform you that the Eroica California event will not be held this year. We understand that many of you, including our dedicated participants and vendors, have attended this event year after year for the past decade, and we share in your disappointment. Please know that we are committed to the spirit of Eroica and are already working to ensure that future events will proceed as planned. Your unwavering support and enthusiasm for Eroica California have always been the heart of this event, and we deeply regret having to bring you this news. Thank you for your understanding and continued support. We remain dedicated to bringing you the best cycling experiences and look forward to seeing you at our upcoming events.
Old 08-22-2024, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
With no explanation.

What a shame. What looks like it was once a great event has been decimated.
Does anyone here know why this happened?

dave
Old 08-22-2024, 10:26 AM

If you're in California (particularly Northern California) and are looking for a vintage event, there's the "Classic Rendezvous West" event in Davis on Octobert 18th - 20th. Rides, concours, etc.

https://m.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1298504
Old 08-22-2024, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Does anyone here know why this happened?

dave
Unlike Cino Herioca, Eroica has been famously uncommunicative on the Eroica CA once they took it over. No reason has been given yet, and may never be given. They seem better on their other events, but Eroica CA seems like an afterthought to them.
Old 08-22-2024, 10:38 AM

Bovine

Big Deal. Do the Bovine Classic instead. Bovine uses many of the same roads and it is actually well supported.
Old 08-22-2024, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Big Deal. Do the Bovine Classic instead. Bovine uses many of the same roads and it is actually well supported.
I thought Eroica was expensive, but Bovine Classic is the most expensive organized ride I've ever seen.
Old 08-22-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I thought Eroica was expensive, but Bovine Classic is the most expensive organized ride I've ever seen.
The only organized ride I do annually is D2R2 and it's a fundraiser for the Franklin Land Trust so I feel good about the $150 this year's ride cost. It's also wonderfully organized and run.

I'm signed up for Cino next month in Montana. It's expensive ($185) also but I see it as a one time adventure, and after all, we get bacon on the route All in, with air travel, hotels, etc., the ride fee is a small part of the whole cost. I'm going to Seattle first and will ride with Mark Davison and visit with my family out there, so making it into more than going to Cino.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:25 AM

Cost vs. Amenities

People complain about the cost, then they complain about the lack of support/amenities.
You can always download the ride route and do it on your own. Plenty of food and whatnot in Cambria, more in Cayucos, should be able to make it back to Paso Robles without dying.

Quote:
Old 08-22-2024, 01:15 PM
Vendor

Bovine has support along the entire route. CA Eroica puts out a big spread for the first rest stop around mile 15. Things get pretty thin after that. There's nothing at the end either - unless you pay extra. I gave CA Eroica a few chances, but things never improved. I wasn't alone in my disappointment. I wouldn't do Eroica again but I would the Bovine. Yes, it is one of the more expensive rides so I'm appreciative that there are still relative bargains like the Grizzly, Primavera, and Marin Century. I see rides like the Bovine my chance to do a big ride outside my immediate riding area (SF) without having to worry about route planning, water/food, and knowing there's ride back if I get in over my head.
Old 08-22-2024, 01:37 PM
aluminati

Quote:
just wait until you find out about the prices of gravel races!
Old 08-22-2024, 01:41 PM
Administrator

The t-shirt is very cool! You would think they could throw that in with reg, but no, you have to buy it.

Old 08-22-2024, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
The t-shirt is very cool! You would think they could throw that in with reg, but no, you have to buy it.

Just buy the T-Shirt and do your own ride.
Old 08-22-2024, 02:26 PM
#RYFB

I enjoyed Eroica CA the first time I did it. The next year was cancelled so I did a slightly altered version of the route (avoiding the private Kiler Canyon) on a modern road bike. The next time was a complete fiasco and they'd have to do quite a bit to convince me that they will have corrected all the problems (like, e.g., providing water at the top of Cypress Mountain); plus, having had the experience of the ride on a classic whip I don't need to repeat it.

My suspicion is that it simply makes a lot more sense for the Eroica folks to manage events closer to their time zone, but that's just a guess.

I don't mind seeing Eroica CA go gently into that good night, RIP.
Old 08-22-2024, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Snip; plus, having had the experience of the ride on a classic whip I don't need to repeat it.
In 3 weeks at Cino I'll be riding a 70s bike my friend Mark Davison has built up for me, which has been converted to 650B so has looong reach brakes. Having just enjoyed my Growtac disc brakes on D2R2, which in one day has more up/down than Cino does in both days, I'm not looking forward to the downhill segments if they require much continued braking. I'm not in the "bikes haven't gotten better" camp, even if I don't have the latest greatest stuff
Old 08-22-2024, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
The next time was a complete fiasco
It was good to meet you though. Otherwise I agree!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3251.jpg (75.0 KB, 126 views)