Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2016, 05:39 PM

How does fore/aft position of saddles affect muscle recruitment?

After experiencing some saddle discomfort with my saddle position over the past year, I hypothesized that the saddle may have been set back too much. That is, I have had to make a conscious effort to shift back to my sit bones and not sit on more sensitive bits.

Within the first 5 miles, I could feel my glutes having more engagement. This was a revelation on how much i've been depending on my quads for a majority of my pedaling. I also came to realize how quickly my glutes fatigue as a result of poor glute recruitment over the past year.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar stories of significant muscle recruitment changes with simple saddle adjustments? Also, what would be a good way to gauge that the seat adjustments have reached a "sweet spot"?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:07 PM

Read the posts from Tidesigns. Ed is the go to guy and his insights made me change my position.

He shows how to properly “sit” not the saddle so that you do not have too much weight on your hands.

I normally would say moving back would allow more not less glute engagement but there are other factors.

Then power comes from those big muscles and the speed comes from the quads extending the lower leg over the top. A nice smooth and powerful stoke needs both.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmarklay View Post
Read the posts from Tidesigns. Ed is the go to guy and his insights made me change my position.

He shows how to properly “sit” not the saddle so that you do not have too much weight on your hands.

I normally would say moving back would allow more not less glute engagement but there are other factors.

Then power comes from those big muscles and the speed comes from the quads extending the lower leg over the top. A nice smooth and powerful stoke needs both.
Thanks! I'll go look for the posts!
Old 12-04-2016, 06:53 PM

Don't recall where I read this, but have been going by the idea that rearward positioning recruited the hamstrings and eased stress on the knees.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
Don't recall where I read this, but have been going by the idea that rearward positioning recruited the hamstrings and eased stress on the knees.
I have had 5 knee surgeries and I have gradually moved my saddle back over the years. It feels more comfortable on the knees. It does stress my hams and glutes a bit more though.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:57 PM

In my case moving down and back eliminated post-ride leg cramps that had troubled me. And, yes, recruits more glutes and hamstrings.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:56 PM

I most definitely have experienced changes in muscle recruitment.

I have a theory that cycling is a quadricep-dominant activity. I also believe that there are cyclists who are hamstring-dominant in their pedaling, either through genetics or training.

I often wonder whether the hamstring-dominant cyclists would be faster if they re-trained to be quadricep-dominant.

Personally, I've discovered I'm a hamstring-er, and as a footnote a better runner than a cyclist (I feel running is a hamstring-dominant activity). I've been experimenting with trying to go quad-dominant and learned the difference is only 2.5-5mm in saddle fore/aft.

It's been months but I still don't feel I've adapted or become faster as a result.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post
recruits more glutes and hamstrings.
this.

Tells me when my saddle has slipped back on the rails PDQ
Old 12-05-2016, 05:45 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

Important distinction between glutes and hamstrings, one is the largest and strongest muscle in the body, the other is the longest and most likely to cramp.

It's really all about center of gravity relative to the pedal under you. To understand it best, sit on a chair, put your feet on the ground and lean forward with a flat back. When you've reached the back angle of your riding position your center of gravity will find it's way somewhere over your feet, plus or minus an inch or two. Try moving your feet back a few inches and lean into it again - your quads fire as soon as your center of gravity gets past where your feet are on the ground. That's you body's defense from hitting your face on the floor. If you move your feet too far away, you'll notice your hamstrings come into the action. That's your body's defense from not having support - your hips are way behind your center of gravity, your feet are way in front, your hamstrings are pulling the whole thing back together.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post
Important distinction between glutes and hamstrings, one is the largest and strongest muscle in the body, the other is the longest and most likely to cramp.

It's really all about center of gravity relative to the pedal under you. To understand it best, sit on a chair, put your feet on the ground and lean forward with a flat back. When you've reached the back angle of your riding position your center of gravity will find it's way somewhere over your feet, plus or minus an inch or two. Try moving your feet back a few inches and lean into it again - your quads fire as soon as your center of gravity gets past where your feet are on the ground. That's you body's defense from hitting your face on the floor. If you move your feet too far away, you'll notice your hamstrings come into the action. That's your body's defense from not having support - your hips are way behind your center of gravity, your feet are way in front, your hamstrings are pulling the whole thing back together.
Tried it and I totally get it! I might have moved my seat forward a smidgen too much! I'm guessing a balance between hamstrings and glutes is a sign of the sweet spot? Thanks again!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2016, 09:08 AM
Randomhead

For years, I had a very rearward saddle position. A while back, I moved my saddle foward and up and it really seemed to help me, angels singing, that sort of thing. Then I developed knee problems, quite possibly for unrelated reasons, and I retreated a little. I should mess around with this a bit more.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonification View Post
After experiencing some saddle discomfort with my saddle position over the past year, I hypothesized that the saddle may have been set back too much. That is, I have had to make a conscious effort to shift back to my sit bones and not sit on more sensitive bits.

Within the first 5 miles, I could feel my glutes having more engagement. This was a revelation on how much i've been depending on my quads for a majority of my pedaling. I also came to realize how quickly my glutes fatigue as a result of poor glute recruitment over the past year.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar stories of significant muscle recruitment changes with simple saddle adjustments? Also, what would be a good way to gauge that the seat adjustments have reached a "sweet spot"?
I think you hit the nail on the head. Lower and further back means more glute engagement.

I train with an olympic lifter who is very knowledgeable about supplementary movements/workouts that isolate muscles. She's really good at helping me ID some movements that help me understand what's firing, when. When she taught me proper form for weighted traveling lunges, I really learned how to feel glute firing. And the form is similar to a low-and-back saddle position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Designs View Post

dang. i just did this and it's really helpful.

Last edited by nooneline; 12-05-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:16 AM

I made these changes a couple of years ago and more recently started understanding the roll of the quadriceps for speed.

With my saddle position I can shift from hamstring dominance to glute to quad with just a slight shifts on the saddle.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:36 AM

You should be happy about it. I think you are so lucky.