Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 06:56 PM
Small ring

There was a window when ship bikes was cheaper than bike flights. That window has closed. I have shipped multiple things through bike flights in the last few months. They have the best prices by far. I would prefer UPS over any other carrier. FedEx can’t find enough people to work for them, USPS is a mess lately.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:59 PM

FWIW, I just shipped a frameset and wheelset from Austin to NYC via Bikeflights and it was the cheapest and fastest option with the added insurance I opted for. I've had good/bad luck with both fedex and UPS, so IMO its a toss up.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:29 AM

Also just reluctantly sold a De Rosa frame & fork only that was too big for me (66 cm) which needed a large box. Cost was $44 + $8 insurance w/Fedex. Dropped it off Monday and the buyer received it Thursday which I thought was reasonable
Old 07-04-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
BikeFlights is cheaper than ShipBikes, and includes extra insurance.
Not always. I think it pays to get quotes from both before shipping.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:21 AM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
Not always. I think it pays to get quotes from both before shipping.
Agreed, sort of. The last few times I have checked, it was BikeFlights by a considerable margin.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:57 AM

I dropped BikeFlights once they switched to UPS and now use ShipBikes(FedEx) and have had zero issues. They’re both the cheapest route for shipping bikes, framesets and wheels. The BikeFlights platform is more user friendly however I just can’t stand UPS and their negligence when handling boxes. For all other parts I only use USPS flat rate.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:06 PM

Just used BikeFlights today for the second time shipping a frame I had sold on here to the buyer. BikeFlights total with insurance was $82 versus my local We Pack It UPS store, which was going to be $170.

Easy call for me, though when I shipped a frame a year ago it was only $50.

Last edited by wgp; 08-15-2020 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:13 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by primov8 View Post
Since the UPS stores are independently owned, huge markups with prices all over the place from one location to another. If you want to ship via UPS, bring the package over to your local Staples. Since you already have the dimensions and estimated weight, the price you get online from ups.com will be just about what Staples will charge you.
Since UPS stores are independently owned, if there is a problem, they won't cover it. I had to drop off something for a shop and was using BikeFlights(UPS). There was 1 person working the counter, it was a busy time and there were 6 people waiting. She asked if I had a prepaid label, I said yes. She took the box from me and set it behind the counter. And then I left.

I did not get a drop-off receipt. And because of that, when the box didn't start moving and I questioned where it was, the UPS Store asked for the receipt. I told them, the person who I always worked with there that she took it and they told me without the receipt I was out of luck.

I reached out to UPS directly, to BikeFlights, to the outside rep for UPS. And the answer was, since I didn't have a receipt, out of luck. They even told me if I went to a UPS depot, different story. But since the "UPS Stores" are independent, they can't do anything.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:28 AM

This won't help the OP but in my case UPS was actually half the price of Bike Flights. This is the not the usual circumstances, a frame in Niagara Falls New York shipped to Toronto Canada. Normally I would drive but the borders have been closed for months with no end in sight and the frame has been sitting their since May 8th.

Repaired frame so no duty (plus American made so Free Trade) and no taxes. Bike Flights wanted close to a $100 more for shipping that included duties and fees. When I inquired on how they could charge duty on a bike that has no duty, they responded that was their policy to collect duty which makes no sense because there is no duties in this case. So I went with UPS and the frame is now n my hands.

It has been my experience that Bike Flights is not really set up for International shipping. I have successfully used them for shipping in the US and would certainly use them again because for one that are just plain cheaper than UPS and FedEX. Great service. As for FedEX and UPS with Ship Bikes or Bike Flights, to me it's pick your poison. I have heard horror stories from both camps so it's a wash or crap shoot.

Last edited by blakcloud; 08-16-2020 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Just packaged up my daughters bike, providence to Nashville. Is it better to walk into a UPS store with it, or do it through bike flights? Or???

thx
Bike Flights is cheaper than Ups direct and you can schedule a pickup($7)..As for ANOTHER UPS vs FEDEX 'discussion'....FedEx killed 2 wheelsets I sent(via BikeFlights), refused the claim in spite of it being OBVIOUS they gooned up the boxes..UPS has been excellent(about 50 shipments and counting)..

Oopps, mini-zombie thread...asked and answered..
Old 08-16-2020, 07:54 PM

For shipping bikes, Bikeflights is the cheapest. For shipping other smaller boxes, it's not.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:23 PM

I think it depends on where the bike is going. I usually check Bike Flights and Ship Bikes. In my experience Ship Bikes has had the better rates for the past half dozen things I've shipped.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:23 AM

Shipbikes was much cheaper in end (RI to Nashville), dropped off Tues delivered to house Thurs in perfect shape.

Walked daughter through build on zoom, I was proud of her.

Pack things well, can't 100% rely on anyone.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:51 AM

I had a delay in a bike delivery from Albany NY to San Clemente last January (2020). Using Bikeflights and UPS. Long and short of it, UPS screwed up a couple of times in the process. Just human error and incompetence and not giving a damned.

Bikeflights customer service worked with me and was extremely responsive. There was nothing they could do to get the bike there on time but they wound up refunding my whole shipment fee. If I had been using UPS alone I would have been stuck for the fee.

In short, Bikeflights customer service is responsive and that's worth it's weight in gold these days.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:38 AM
Time & Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
Just packaged up my daughters bike, providence to Nashville. Is it better to walk into a UPS store with it, or do it through bike flights? Or???

thx
Both work. That is, as others say, buy shipping from Bike Flights, always cheaper. But then, I’ve brought my sealed and labeled boxes to the local UPS Store, where they gladly take it. (I think the stores get a percentage of all parcels, even if they didn’t sell the shipping.)

Or any other UPS drop-off, like Staples. I like using the actual UPS Store because it seems packages get into the system a bit more quickly.