Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 04:37 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Moon View Post
Background: I'm 63 and having a hard time getting over a bad accident where I broke 5 ribs and punctured a lung. I'm 8 weeks out and trying to get back in shape but things are really slow. Feel about 50% of where I was before the accident and really not going much of anywhere.
Lots to unpack here. I broke my clavicle but didn't need surgery in 2017: no broken ribs, no punctured lung. I had it easy.

It's going to take about 13 weeks before you start really feeling any better, and then it just depends. Once your body heals, then you'll have to regain your confidence. That might take several more months.

To be honest, now isn't a great time to be making decisions. Focus on healing and getting stronger. You'll know when you're there.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:48 PM

Thinking out loud: where to next?

I had my first real crash last year right before my 39th birthday. Cracked a rib or two and some nasty road rash, but walked away and toughes it out. What I did take away was a little more respect while descending.

I am not a racer nor am I fast, but I can gain some serious momentum on the downhills since I am 200+ lbs. I used to rarely use my brakes, but after skidding down the road listening to the sound of my helmet against the tarmac they are used quite frequently. I sold off most of my bikes after that incident and primarily used my gravel bike or fat bike for just about everything. My gearing is a 44t up front and 10-42 rear, so I can push it a little if need be, but not like a 52t. I was also running 35mm slicks for road use. It was still a blast to ride, but felt slower and safer.

I am glad to hear you are on the mend and hope you make a full recovery. Remember to take it easy and as mentioned above maybe get a camera to bring along and take some photos. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2020, 10:34 PM

Lewis, give yourself some time, it takes time to heal, and it takes longer when you get older.
I broke my wrist on a training ride in my 20s, did a RR 3 days later, finished. Fast forward to 8 years ago, I broke a rib on a stupid fall, the first 4 weeks were very painful rides, intervals were the 4 letter word I couldn't even think of. Another fast forward, I fell mountain biking earlier this year, broke some more ribs, I didn't even ride for weeks, let alone ride hard. Getting older sucks, but it beats not getting older.
Give yourself some time, try different things, ride for pictures, stop for a beer, explore some new roads, get lost and find your way home.