Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I second the motion regarding Assos...lots of nice models currently on sale and I keep coming back to them after going astray.
Just threw out a pair of Q36.5 bibs because they became a little see thru in the buttock area. That was after 4 years of wearing them at least once a week and washing them using normal washing/drying procedure at least once a week. I am not sure how that compares to other brands but I feel the quality is pretty stellar considering that I ride mostly on dirt.

Last edited by joosttx; 08-26-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
Boure. He'll even do custom for a small fee.

dave
Hi Dave,

Tell me more about Boure bibs. How have they held-up over time? What is the chamois like? What is the compression like? I have two pair of Assos Mille bibs that need retirement. I think I prefer less padding, but am directionless on identifying replacement.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Q36.5 or Assos. Not even kidding.
my first pair of Q36.5 dottore are still going very, very strong, several years and many thousands of km later. The value is pretty crazy.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:57 AM
Tired Member

Assos.

Probably others, too. They are superior to Sugoi, Pearl Izumi, DHB, and Craft.

Buy them at discount at SwissIconic.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i find the best "value" is to buy smartly. never pay retail, wait for sales, every mfg has them.

keep your undercarriage happy.
Agree, just looking for new names. Don't need the flash or marketing or need to look like a pro. That's how I found GSG years ago. Their red chamois (no longer made/used) was the cat's meow.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:08 PM

I'm going to echo the idea that the more expensive brands are actually the better deal. Years of use, extra comfort, better fit. What more could you want?
Old 08-26-2019, 12:31 PM
#RYFB

Most of my bibs are Rapha and I am very happy with them; my only quibble is that I have had a number of them begin to come unstitched at the pad interior but Rapha's customer service and repairs have always addressed these issues to my satisfaction.

I recently bought a pair of MAAP bibs because the price was too good to pass up. I can't speak to their longevity, of course, but I am very happy with their comfort and performance to date.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 PM
Everything is connected

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
Hi Dave,

Tell me more about Boure bibs. How have they held-up over time? What is the chamois like? What is the compression like? I have two pair of Assos Mille bibs that need retirement. I think I prefer less padding, but am directionless on identifying replacement.
I don't speak for Dave, but have used Boure in the past and I'd recommend their UltraSuede® PRO chamois as opposed to their Elite chamois...issues with the placement of the seams. Boure demonstrated good customer service when I raised an issue about the seams and they replaced my chamois. I noted that they now offer the UltraSuede® PRO as a $10 upgrade on some models.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I'm going to echo the idea that the more expensive brands are actually the better deal. Years of use, extra comfort, better fit. What more could you want?
In some cases, yes. But with many of these well-known brands, you are paying for the marketing behemoth behind them. Gaerne shoes, Ambrosio rims, Gommitalia tires and rim tape - some of the best aren't always the best known, and I was wondering if there was a bib short equivalent. Cheers!
Old 08-26-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
I don't speak for Dave, but have used Boure in the past and I'd recommend their UltraSuede® PRO chamois as opposed to their Elite chamois...issues with the placement of the seams. Boure demonstrated good customer service when I raised an issue about the seams and they replaced my chamois. I noted that they now offer the UltraSuede® PRO as a $10 upgrade on some models.
Thank you for this information.

The absolute best chamois I have used was an ExteOndo Golden chamois. It was very basic, not too thick, and no annoying seams. I have one pair of tights remaining with this chamois. IMHO, most pads are significantly over-engineered. They are too thick, riffled with nooks and crannies, have stupid folds, ill-placed seams, etc. If Boure has something remotely similar to my old ExteOndo Golden chamois, they have a new customer.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:30 PM

Lately I've been digging the lower end Assos stuff I have. I hate their naming conventions but I think it's the Millie S7 stuff, or something like that. On sale you can score a deal from $85 to $135.

Life is too short to have a chafed, sore taint-bum.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:54 PM

Rapha and Boure

I have been very pleased with my Rapha bibs and also bibs from Boure. I think they are both very good bibs.

I also have a few long sleeve jerseys from Boure in Hi Vis Yellow. They are great in hot weather or cool with rain. They breathe well and hold up really nicely to wear and washings.

Patrick
Old 08-26-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
Sugoi, Garneau and DiMarchi are my go-to bibs. They are high quality and the fit is great. I never get the very top end. Mid-range is good for me.
I purchased some mid range Garneau's around December. They didnt see much use until around April and went into the "rotation", so all in all wore them about 10 times. Very comfortable and I liked the compression support. However, an outside seam started to unravel. I was hesitant to cut the thread for fear of it all unraveling. I called Garneau's customer service to inquire about the best way to prevent the seam from further damage/unraveling. Rep asked me to sent a picture of the bibs and stated she would get back to me.
About a week later a new pair of bibs showed up in the mail. We never spoke about a replacement, only talked about the best way to remedy the unraveling.
Kudos to Garneau's customer service!
PS - the old unraveling pair are still going strong.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:53 PM
Member?

"Value" can be a bit of an subjective analysis. However, I have found La Passion Classic bibs to be a good value for me. Not super expensive, excellent pad, nice fabric and excellent fit. Not super compressive.

I also purchased a pair of Isadore Medio bibs on sale a while back on sale. Very nice bibs. Same qualities as the La Passion, just a bit different cut and fit but still excellent, a bit more compressive.

My "value" is wearing a pair of bibs on a 5 plus hour ride and not noticing anything about them and being super comfortable, until at some point well into the ride I have an epiphany..."I've not thought about my bibs this entire time! I love these bibs!"

I hope you find what you seek.

Last edited by Vientomas; 08-26-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: wrong choice of word
Old 08-26-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
my first pair of Q36.5 dottore are still going very, very strong, several years and many thousands of km later. The value is pretty crazy.
^This x 1000. I have used Assos for years and they are great, they last a LONG time and are very comfy. I decided to give Q36.5 a try a few months ago, and I have to say they are even better than Assos for fit and comfort. They seem very well made, but until I have had them for a couple of years I won't comment on durability. Over they years I have changed my purchasing habits to now save up and purchase things that last, I really despise the throw away mentality that many products encourage. Engineered obsolescence is a crime against humanity IMO.

The single most important contact point is the saddle / bib and when you get it right it is bliss, when you get it wrong it is a nightmare!