Old 01-03-2019, 12:16 PM

>>> like 250 people know who BG is

Here's one - 1983 Chinook (resprayed) with 32c

Old 01-03-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post

Buddy of mine in college had one. Of course it was referred to as the Sh * thook. In a fond sort of way...
Old 01-03-2019, 02:54 PM

Good Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post
I agree, this was clearly my observation when the 650B wheeled all-road/country bikes came back in the 2004 timeframe - especially your point about high performance designs.

The model was based on 1950's French randonneuring, and what was current technology wasn't part of the formula. These early 650B bikes were almost all made from steel, had threaded steering tubes, and rim brakes. The performance road market was carbon, titanium, threadless, integrated controls, etc., and the early 650B bikes were never going to leave their little niche with those older technologies. The Kogswell P/R had a threadless steering tube, and a Rawland model had discs, but those products didn't survive.

While people have ridden mixed surfaces on road oriented bikes for decades, I think the gravel market as we see it today began to gain momentum when disc brakes fitted to bikes with other modern technologies became commercially available.

To bring this back to the main topic of our discussion, I think that Rivendell can capitalize on this market segment by offering a frameset or complete bike that appeals to a larger base of buyers - those of us who appreciate a lightweight and responsive steel bike built with some classic styling elements, sport-oriented geometry and riding position, and the performance and convenience of modern technologies. Make it in Taiwan, with disc brakes, room for 650B and big 700C tires, a threadless 1-1/8" fork with a flat fork crown. Give it some Rivendell/Bridgestone heritage; paint, logos, naming, lugs, silver annodized components, Nitto bar, stem, and seatpost, whatever fits the model and pricepoint. Offer a modern drivetrain with integrated controls. Create a modern interpretation of the bikes we identify with Grant Petersen design; the RB-T, Rambouillet, XO-1, whatever. I know that I would consider such a frame or bike.

Put this bike front and center on the web site

I think it would help Rivendell expand into the mainstream gravel market, regain some of their lost customer base, increase product sales revenue, and yet maintain the identity of the company.
There's good ideas here, but I wonder how deep the financial wound currently is.

As posted earlier, in a business you try and stay at or ahead of your cash and credit. If you're behind it makes it hard to invest in change because you're hamstrung by having to pay high debt balances.

It still looks like a huge cash injection is needed along with a change of business plan.

There is value in the Rivendell name, maybe they can attract an investor to help if they make some of the changes suggested in your post.

Last edited by Burnette; 01-03-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Beauty!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:

I've got a Bruce Gordon BLT. I find I'm riding it a lot more than my lighter Ritchey road bike. It rides great on bumpy and gravel roads with the 42mm tubeless Compass tires I have on it. I thought about getting a lighter gravel bike, but decided that the BLT was good enough and was only saving a few pounds of weight, plus I have a bike that can do loaded touring.

Too bad about BG going out of business. I understand he tried to sell the business but had no buyers.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:40 PM

how about being open on sunday, 1 of 2 days that americans are able to shop in person?

I already went ahead and bought some stuff the last time they asked us to. every time i've been in SF the store has been closed. How about operating like a bike shop as well, most make their money in service. as i understand it the store doesn't take service jobs.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:18 AM

Maybe having UltraRomance on board will change things for the bette?

I think it probably will.

https://theradavist.com/2019/01/ultr...untain-bike/#1
Old 01-09-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

Was he just a disciple in the past and now officially on the payroll?

That guy sure like riding bikes.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:59 AM

The old Atlantis and the new Atlantis are different machines. I like them both.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 AM
ZhugeLiang

Just put these 30mm (measured 32mm) Strada Bianca on this morning, ready to rock n' roll!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 AM

The “manual double” is sure to take off in 2019. You can just hear the product development and marketing folks at SRAM saying, “Why didn’t we think of that?” Just carry or find a stick to change chainrings!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Was he just a disciple in the past and now officially on the payroll?

That guy sure like riding bikes.

maybe a little too late but its a good move on their part... I mean anything change will be a good move on their part. That bike is still doodoo though, no matter who is trying to sell it (and I do like poppi)
Old 01-09-2019, 08:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Just put these 30mm (measured 32mm) Strada Bianca on this morning, ready to rock n' roll!

YEE GADS man, put the proper bolt on those downtube cable stops!!!
He blocks me but somebody..yikes!!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 AM

I'll be that guy, jumping in after pages and then trying to figure out how this thread started - can anyone point me to the post or other link where Rivendell's making the statement that resulted in people buying gift certificates and stuff?

I see the result at the beginning of the thread but in a quick search didn't find the Rivendell's In Trouble post.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakora View Post
I'll be that guy, jumping in after pages and then trying to figure out how this thread started - can anyone point me to the post or other link where Rivendell's making the statement that resulted in people buying gift certificates and stuff?

I see the result at the beginning of the thread but in a quick search didn't find the Rivendell's In Trouble post.
it was an email.
Closed Thread