Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2020, 03:08 PM

Framebuilding Class experience

It goes without saying that this year has thrown a lot of plans to the wayside, not the least of them included my original plans to take a frame building course. My work schedule blew up with COVID-related requests and the week I had been targeting for vacation was moved, so I started researching other, closer-to-home options. I came across Bing Bicycles via an old Thrillist article. Richmond is close enough that I didn’t have to fly and rent a car, so I reached out and set a date: last full week of May. A well-deserved 5 days of vacation.

I knew already that I didn’t have time to learn how to TIG properly and put a bike together in the week I planned to take leave, so I decided to go the lug-brazed approach. I figured I could learn how to torch quicker so it would be the ideal means of completing the project. The tubing is all Columbus: Spirit for the front triangle, double tapered SL seatstays, and Zona chainstays.

The man behind Bing Bicycles is Rob Gassie. I arrived in Richmond Sunday evening and met up with Rob to plan out the week. That night we covered basic safety procedures, how to light and handle an oxy-acetylene torch, and how to apply heat to the tubing. All that covered, I checked into bed early. We got started bright and early Monday morning, laying out the life-size drawing of the frame on a large sheet of paper. The geometry for this build was based on a fit calculator and my other two bikes. With those measurements plotted out, we started cutting the tubes, using the lugs and a sharpie as guides to shape the cuts. Most of the cutting was done with a Dremel cutting blade—his reasoning behind this method is that most people can access Dremels, cordless drills, files, and hacksaws easily and cheaply compared to using miter jigs and more specialized/expensive equipment; when a student goes home to build on their own, it makes for a more comparable experience.

Tuesday was spent filling in the welds (which was an exercise in improving my ability to chase silver through the lugs and manage heat) and cleaning up the frame.
Wednesday was measuring, cutting, and fillet brazing the rear of the frame. Tricky stuff, but fun, making sure measurements were correct. I also managed to put together the fork on Wednesday, but I messed up the blade length (cut too short) and had to redo the job. I left myself a small margin of error given that I want to use standard Chorus brakes and 30mm tires, so perhaps there was some overthinking going on. Thursday and Friday were long days. Having to redo the fork took away a lot of time, and I was moving pretty slowly compared to Monday and Tuesday. Thursday was spent brazing small bits on and shaping up the brake bridge and the rear dropouts to ensure the larger tire and 11-speed cassette would fit. Turns out, fillet-brazing is one of those activities that I found myself getting a bit lost in the doing; nothing else matters while I’m focused on getting the heat evenly applied and getting the silver to flash and harden into the right shape/place. Friday was spent emory-clothing and polishing until the frame was all bright, shiny metal and ready for primer. I managed to get a coat of primer on before I had to call it a night and head back home to Arlington. Rob finished up the paint for me and I picked it up a couple weeks later. It’s sort of a medium gray with gloss clear, something plain that will show off the mistakes I made so I understand where to apply more effort in the future.

Here are some photos of the process. (Note that it took every bit of my 150lbs to bend those stinkin’ fork blades with the tool we used.) Some of these are no doubt going to be rotated as profile pics on my social media because torches are badass. Nothing in there worthy of a Friday Night Lights post, but hopefully they’re illustrative of the experience.

If you’re not too far away and are so inclined, I’d highly recommending taking this course. Rob is very patient and does a good job explaining what you’re doing and why you’re doing it in that order. I had full creative control over the design and aesthetics of the project, but he was keen to advise and guide me to reasonable expectations. He was a pleasure to work with and very reasonable on price. I recommend maintaining a positive attitude; you will mess up some part of the build, have to redo something, etc. Don't let it get you down because it can all be redone one way or another, just a matter of effort and time. I'm incredibly proud of my effort, even knowing it's nowhere near perfect, because I know how much work went into this thing. It was a fantastic learning experience.

I’ll post a reply next week once all my parts have arrived and it’s ride-ready. Fingers crossed that my work holds up.

Last edited by coreyaugustus; 01-05-2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:52 PM
ZhugeLiang

Nice job! Really enjoyed your report and pictures. Kudos to making your dream come true despite the current challenges.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:55 PM

Nice work, thanks for posting! I’m going to file this one away for potential future use.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:01 PM

i don't know jack about framebuilding but i have oxy cut and welded before; are you torching w/oxy without shades?? i am super impressed that one is able to build a frame after only a few days at a course like this. from the welding i've done it seemed like it would take several years to a lifetime for me to confidently ride one of my own projects down the road!

Last edited by cinema; 07-02-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:40 PM

Nicely done!
Old 07-02-2020, 05:44 PM

Man, that would be so self satisfying to be riding a bike that was built by yourself, albeit with help, from the frame/fork all the way to choosing of the components, to the painting and doing the final put it all together. The first ride would be one to never forget. Really looking forward to pictures of the finished bike. Nicely done!

Last edited by DeBike; 07-02-2020 at 05:45 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-02-2020, 05:57 PM

Memories...

I took a class in 1976, Somerville MA, Tanguy Cycles. This spot is where Chris Chance took over when he started out around 1980?

10 day class, plenty of silver ended up on floor - frustrating the frame builder naturally. I hand cut hearts in the head tube lugs. Rode bike for 6 years before building another.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:09 PM

Wow...what a great experience! Thank you for sharing, especially the photos. Looking forward to seeing the bike in it’s rolling glory.

I’ve always wanted to build my own frame...did not know I could do it just down the road in Richmond (I’m in Fairfax Station)!
Old 07-02-2020, 07:57 PM

Great post and accompanying photos. That is a great way to spend some lock down time. I'm interested in hearing how she rides and seeing some pics of the completed build.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:24 PM

Two thumbs up!
Old 07-03-2020, 11:05 AM

Wow, very cool! I've always wanted to do that.

BTW, what lugs did you use?
Old 07-03-2020, 07:17 PM

Very cool — I’ve had this fantasy since HS (which was a long time ago) — have collected various books along the way, etc.

I am curious whether you think this was a “one off” or you think you learned enough that you will continue to build frames (either as hobby or otherwise?)
Old 07-04-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa86 View Post
Very cool — I’ve had this fantasy since HS (which was a long time ago) — have collected various books along the way, etc. I am curious whether you think this was a “one off” or you think you learned enough that you will continue to build frames (either as hobby or otherwise?)
Although I don’t know anything about the OP’s class, I’ll try to answer your question. I’ve been teaching framebuilding classes regularly for over 40 years and my degrees are in teaching education. The primary challenges I have is trying to transfer an enormous amount of information while keeping their frustration in check. It is one thing to have just seen and heard instructions and repeat it and quite another to remember it all to do later. This is why I encourage potential framebuilders to join my 3-week class (I do shorter ones for those that have time restrictions). The extra time allows for more complete demonstrations and practice. I also give them a 150+ class manual to help them remember what they learned. I remember that when I was learning in England, everything seemed clear when it was explained to me but would fade a few days later and I would have to ask again. Writing everything down was the beginning of my manual.

Managing frustration is a also a major part of my job. Brazing is a bit complicated and it is necessary to have some motions in muscle memory to do it well (especially getting clean shorelines). It looks easy when I do it and that can’t be replicated right away. This is why I like to have 2 students in a class if possible. It is easier for them to see and understand beginner mistakes and not feel bad if they can’t catch on right away.

I am pleased so many Paceliners were/are interested in this thread. I like teaching framebuilding classes and this interest suggests it still has a future. To more directly answer Schwa86’s question, when I do one week classes it is necessary for me to do more of the work so a student can end up with a decent frame.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:25 AM

When I retire from engineering in two years, I'll still have two years of GI Bill remaining. I was considering attending the classes at UBI. Another semi-local option is David Bohm (Bohemian) down in Tucson. He offers everything including carbon. Garro is two hours away, maybe I could sweep up his shop for a few weeks....
Old 07-04-2020, 12:32 PM

I'm interested to read that the teacher let you choose your own tubing. I have read that some make everyone use the same tubeset, presumably for ease of tooling/mitering and heat application. I want to take a build a frame, but also want to use a very oversized steel. I was long considering the Yamaguchi class, but don't want a 64cm frame with standard cromo steel tubing.