Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-11-2020, 03:41 PM

Deltas and wider rims

Can anyone comment on setting them up with wider profile rims, i.e., 23mm Hed or H Plus Son versus 20mm Mavic Open Pros? My Deltas are the last generation of the 3 pivot. Contemplating a new set of hoops.

Many thanks.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespajg View Post
Can anyone comment on setting them up with wider profile rims, i.e., 23mm Hed or H Plus Son versus 20mm Mavic Open Pros? My Deltas are the last generation of the 3 pivot. Contemplating a new set of hoops.

Many thanks.
I haven’t tried it, but I would anticipate it working very well with modern pad holders. I’m running 21mm external rims and had to slightly shim them in.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:54 PM
Riding Along

Quote:

Many thanks.
I am running 5th generation deltas with 23mm wide rims with modern pad holders on a bike with chorus 11speed. Once set up they work fine. Took a few rides for the pads to set in and once they did stopping power increased dramatically. I am running tires that measure out to 28mm with callipers and There is enough clearance below the brakes.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:43 PM

As already shared they work well when combining today's ~23mm rims and modern cartridge pads. I'm running TB-14s with a set of old Kool Stop pre-2k Campy replacement holders and pads. Shimming is often needed to optimize which is on my to-do list, but they are fine as is for most of my riding.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:35 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:

Many thanks.
Last generation Deltas came with 2 widths spacers for under the brake block holders..the early gen ones(3 pivot) did not. So..you may have to either find last gen blocks/holders with this spacers or use some modern holders.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-12-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:20 AM
il Curmudgeoni

I have one bike with Deltas, modern pads/holders and A23 rims. It works great IMO.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:49 AM

Thank you all for the replies...is it necessary to run modern pad holders? Is it possible to set them up with the original holders? If not, which holders do you recommend? FWIW - my Deltas are NOS, three-pivot as mentioned, but I have new Kool Stop pads for them. I've mocked them up on the bike with another set of 23 mm wheels and it looks like I've got good clearance for adjusting, but this will be my first delta set up.

Thanks in advance for helping me out...this thread has been really helpful!
Old 06-12-2020, 02:50 PM
il Curmudgeoni

As far as I know it's not necessary. I have them on most of my Deltas because I prefer the way that they look and they allow me to use SwissStop pads. I am using the last generation Campy holders, some are Campy and some aftermarket - Clarks and maybe BBB.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
As far as I know it's not necessary. I have them on most of my Deltas because I prefer the way that they look and they allow me to use SwissStop pads. I am using the last generation Campy holders, some are Campy and some aftermarket - Clarks and maybe BBB.
They are also narrower and fit some modern machined brake tracks better.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:42 PM

Is there a place to find them other than eBay? I would like to get a pair of think thin and a pair of the thicker. That way I would have both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Last generation Deltas came with 2 widths spacers for under the brake block holders..the early gen ones(3 pivot) did not. So..you may have to either find last gen blocks/holders with this spacers or use some modern holders.
Old 06-13-2020, 06:19 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Thank you all for the replies...1)is it necessary to run modern pad holders? 2)Is it possible to set them up with the original holders? If not, which holders do you recommend? FWIW - my Deltas are NOS, three-pivot as mentioned, but I have new Kool Stop pads for them. I've mocked them up on the bike with another set of 23 mm wheels and it looks like I've got good clearance for adjusting, 3)but this will be my first delta set up.

Thanks in advance for helping me out...this thread has been really helpful!
1)No
2)Yes
3)Asked and answered
Old 06-13-2020, 06:21 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Is there a place to find them other than eBay? I would like to get a pair of think thin and a pair of the thicker. That way I would have both.
Man, that's gonna be tough..Most were used and the spare either chucked or squirreled away in a drawer somewhere 25 years ago...

I'll check my 'Delta' drawer..I may have some spares...I've been using Deltas since 1993...
Old 06-13-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
According the parts diagram, the difference between the thick and thin concave washer is 1mm. Thin is 5.3mm, thick is 6.3 mm. So a 1mm washer behind the original 5.3mm washer would appear to accomplish the same thing if you need the thick washer.

eBay appears to have at least a couple for sale and the pictures look like the 5.3mm washer to me. We have a shop here in Portland that has quite a nice spread of Delta stuff...when they re-open, I'll check to see what they have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71072B39-F978-4C47-BB18-A352C8C5A74F.jpg (67.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by vespajg; 06-13-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:28 PM

What is the shop?

Quote:
According the parts diagram, the difference between the thick and thin concave washer is 1mm. Thin is 5.3mm, thick is 6.3 mm. So a 1mm washer behind the original 5.3mm washer would appear to accomplish the same thing if you need the thick washer.

eBay appears to have at least a couple for sale and the pictures look like the 5.3mm washer to me. We have a shop here in Portland that has quite a nice spread of Delta stuff...when they re-open, I'll check to see what they have.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:05 PM

Just another guy here saying A23s and deltas work great.

I used modern pad holders and Kool stop salmon pads. Last gen 5 pivot CDAs.

I actually have the spacer kit for the delta brakes NOS and didnt need to use them but Im holding onto them because I took the deltas off and am not sure what frame theyll go on next.