Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2024, 07:43 PM

Why did you sell your Pegoretti?

Looking at a Marcelo as my first ever Pegoretti. I am a FF and can generate a little bit of power. This would be my fair weather bike with rim brakes. Just curious why folks have fallen out of love with theirs, aside from fit.

Cheers!
Old 03-24-2024, 07:48 PM

I sold a stock Big Leg Emma to replace it with a custom geo Marcelo. I’ve had it since 2015 and I’m not getting rid of it.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:54 PM

I buy and sell a lot of bikes. When I sell or have sold a Pegoretti or comparable bike it's just to try something else out. It is rarely if ever because the bike is a disappointment or because of some fundamental flaw in the bike itself

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM

Respo owner since 2011. Pretty sure I’m going to convince my wife to bury me with it.
Old 03-24-2024, 08:29 PM

I sold my Marcelo here on the Paceline. I loved that bike but after I got my Hampsten Strada Bianca, I felt the Hampsten did everything the Marcello did, only just a bit better. It was a time in my life when I thought (foolishly,) that bike overlap was a bad thing.
About a year ago, my wife said she couldn't understand why I sold my Pegoretti. I had no answer, but literally the next day a beautiful Duende was listed in the Paceline's classifieds. I snapped it up and am happily in possession of a Pegoretti again. I like the Duende even more than the Marcello. Its ride is sublime. It gets up and goes when I ask it to and it is oh so smooth over Tucson's ****ty roads.
So for Pegorettis, I was lost but now am found, and very happy to be so.
Old 03-24-2024, 10:38 PM

I've owned and sold five Pegs. I found the Marcelos (2) so stiff that they felt dead, and this was back when I was quite strong. Moreover, back when I owned them, 25s was all you could fit on a Marcelo. The Luigino was fine, but no better than other nice lugged frames and was redundant to bikes I liked more. The Duende was just meh and left me unimpressed. The 1990s no-model name Peg with an aero down tube barely fit 25s, which is why I sold it. That and I couldn't take the aesthetics of an aero downtube. This last one was actually my first Peg, was the best handling Peg of the bunch, and it handled better than 98% of bikes I've ridden.

Last edited by Waldo62; 03-27-2024 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:10 AM

I look forward to one day owning a Pegoretti I can sell.
Old 03-25-2024, 01:00 AM

Unfortunately bought my Marcelo too big in 2005 and tried for years to get it to fit as my position evolved to shorter/lower. Even got the head tube cut down by Dario when they repainted it for me but didn’t help.

Was gutted to sell it but hopefully it went to a good home in the states through paceline or across the hall (can’t remember exactly)

I liked how it rode even though I was sitting too high on it - felt planted and stable with a good feedback from the road. Could fit 28mm with the Reynolds Ouzo fork. Can just imagine how good it would be one or two sizes smaller…

In the end almost never rode it as my other bikes fit better so was time to let it go.

Hoping to find one in my size down the line but not easy in Europe and pricing has gone through the roof…
Old 03-25-2024, 04:52 AM

For years on this forum and others, I have read people’s comments of regret about selling a DeRosa that they had owned. There have been so many that it has resulted in the standard advisory, “Never sell a DeRosa that fits you”. I think the same advice applies to a Pegoretti.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
For years on this forum and others, I have read people’s comments of regret about selling a DeRosa that they had owned. There have been so many that it has resulted in the standard advisory, “Never sell a DeRosa that fits you”.
I resemble that remark. All I have left is one picture of mine from 1983, candy powder blue was so beautiful...
Old 03-25-2024, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
Looking at a Marcelo as my first ever Pegoretti. I am a FF and can generate a little bit of power. This would be my fair weather bike with rim brakes. Just curious why folks have fallen out of love with theirs, aside from fit.

Cheers!
If you're considering a Marcelo, I'd recommend also checking out Bixxis. Doriano's Prima is basically identical. He and Dario were close friends. In fact, when I bought mine right after they launched, Dario would come over to the Bixxis shop in the afternoon and help Doriano build frames. The paint jobs are not as artistic, but the price at the time of my purchase was about half the Marcelo.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Strong Walker

Never heard about Bixxis until now, looks interesting. Fork looks a lot like a Falz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
In fact, when I bought mine right after they launched, Dario would come over to the Bixxis shop in the afternoon and help Doriano build frames.
..ummm i think both De Rosa and Bixxis are located in Milan, but i only remember Dario having shops in/near Trento and Verona?
Old 03-25-2024, 07:47 AM

Bixxis was using the Falz fork but I’m pretty sure they have recently developed their own version.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martl View Post
Never heard about Bixxis until now, looks interesting. Fork looks a lot like a Falz?

..ummm i think both De Rosa and Bixxis are located in Milan, but i only remember Dario having shops in/near Trento and Verona?
Bixxis shop is about 75 minute or so drive from Pego shop by car. I'm assuming he didn't ride his bike.

Yes, Falz II fork. Doriano is a one man shop, with his daughter handling the business end. So you deal directly with him and he makes your frame. Super nice man too.
Old 03-25-2024, 08:12 AM
Epic=No Smiles

I didn't fall out of love with it. It had excellent resale value and I wanted to try another bike.