Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
How is it that two people who live in rent controlled apartments that are tax subsidized by taxpayers who are suppose to be people who can't afford regular rent can afford to buy Baum bikes?
Taxpayers? Ha!

Clearly you don’t understand rent control in CA jurisdictions.

They thank their landlord.

The only argument one might make for landlord / taxpayer subsidy is prop 13, but then all owners benefit from it.

Quote:
Am I the only one here who sees something wrong with that picture?
What? Paying $1500/mo. For an apartment with a market rate of $5k. Sounds like nice landlord subsidy so you can afford a leisurely schedule to afford time to ride your $13k Baum.

Ever wonder why so many apartment buildings look like **** in SF?
Old 01-20-2019, 09:28 PM

[deleted, political content: I will be my own moderator here.]

Last edited by mikemowbz; 01-20-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:31 PM

Should have multi quoted, but these guys are good riders, most definitely not great. No palmares.

Just livin’ the life. $1k kit, $13k bike, stop for $8 cappuccino to be seen. They probably bag a few soccer moms along the way too.

No hating, just admiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
It sounds like those guys can easily ride conversational pace at 25mph.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
The two Baum owners I know are expro bike racers.... I never rode one but I have ridden a lynksey and it is not even on the same planet in terms of handling/ride quality of my Mosiac gravel bike.

The myth that lynsky are good bikes because they are titanium is just not true. But Lynsky bikes do serve a purpose and they fill that niche well.
So I guess from what you said that Lynskey bikes are just the junk of the titanium world of bikes? Odd, because Lynskey created many of the designs and the technologies that is used by all titanium bike makers today including Mosaic! In the words of Bicycling Magazine: "Every titanium frame built today owes at least a small bit of gratitude to the Lynskeys." They also are the same family who created Litespeed bikes which was the world's leader in titanium bikes, but according to you those stupid Lynskey family members make ****ty bikes that fill a purpose and fit the niche for those looking for a cheap arse bike, how polite you made that sound, I just threw in the extra words you intended to put in but left out.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
Rent control is not based on a persons ability to pay.
If someone gets an apt in a rent controlled apt when in college, then through hard work get a good paying job, would you expect that they should now move before they are ready to?
Also not sure why they should pay more to their landlord.
Right, so you're perfectly ok for a person who was in a taxpayer subsidized rent control project while in college making $30,000 a year? Fine, so am I! But now that person has graduated and has a $100,000 a year job and can afford to pay regular rent instead of having taxpayers continue to subsidize their rent and your ok with that? I'm not ok with that. And when would they be ready to move, in 3 months? Ok I'm fine with that, that give them time to find a place. What about 5 years, so they can buy a Porsche, a Baum, a 65" big screen TV, a jetski, travel around the world? no I'm not ok with that, that's taking advantage of taxpayers.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Right, so you're perfectly ok for a person who was in a taxpayer subsidized rent control project while in college making $30,000 a year? Fine, so am I! But now that person has graduated and has a $100,000 a year job and can afford to pay regular rent instead of having taxpayers continue to subsidize their rent and your ok with that? I'm not ok with that. And when would they be ready to move, in 3 months? Ok I'm fine with that, that give them time to find a place. What about 5 years, so they can buy a Porsche, a Baum, a 65" big screen TV, a jetski, travel around the world? no I'm not ok with that, that's taking advantage of taxpayers.
Uh....what?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post
Should have multi quoted, but these guys are good riders, most definitely not great. No palmares.

Just livin’ the life. $1k kit, $13k bike, stop for $8 cappuccino to be seen. They probably bag a few soccer moms along the way too.

Ah, yes, a nice gig if you can get it.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:59 PM

This thread has gotten really weird. From best ti bikes to jerk apartment renters.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo1 View Post

This thread is very illuminating. I didn't know soccer moms liked ti bikes so much ...
Old 01-20-2019, 11:26 PM
なんでやねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
This thread is very illuminating. I didn't know soccer moms liked ti bikes so much ...
I'm definitely taking notes here.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
So I guess from what you said that Lynskey bikes are just the junk of the titanium world of bikes? Odd, because Lynskey created many of the designs and the technologies that is used by all titanium bike makers today including Mosaic! In the words of Bicycling Magazine: "Every titanium frame built today owes at least a small bit of gratitude to the Lynskeys." They also are the same family who created Litespeed bikes which was the world's leader in titanium bikes, but according to you those stupid Lynskey family members make ****ty bikes that fill a purpose and fit the niche for those looking for a cheap arse bike, how polite you made that sound, I just threw in the extra words you intended to put in but left out.
I would appreciate you correcting my spelling and grammar too. I suck at that stuff.

My personal experience is that the Lynskey bike I rode did not ride as well as the two titanium bikes I have owned. The titanium bikes being an IF and the other being a Mosaic. Lynskey has carved a price point and niche different from the higher end ti bike makers. By focusing on a lower price point I think their quality (ride quality) has suffered compared to the high-end bikes. The Lynskey family appear to be smart bike business people because they have been able to make titanium bikes at a larger scale to meet demand at a lower price. Nothing wrong with that. If I were to invest in a titanium bike company I would probably lend to the Lynskey model and not the Baum model. But I would love to own and ride a Baum. I am sorry I came across so negative towards Lynskey, they just dont cut the mustard compared to bike brands twice the price of theirs

Last edited by joosttx; 01-21-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:00 AM

So I was looking at a ti road disc frame with requirements being light, very stiff (front end-44mm and bb), butted, custom geo and a under $4k.

After going through the thread there was 333fab. Must be others. Suggestion?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:12 AM
shimergo

Is the butted tubing a hard requirement? Contact John Caletti who can build you a road disc frame with custom geometry included for $3,200 (https://caletticycles.com/bikes/disc-road/). He's a local builder based in Santa Cruz. IIRC from a conversation I had with him, you can upgrade certain tubes (e.g. downtube) to butted tubing.

Last edited by scoobydrew; 01-21-2019 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:20 AM

I was thinking butted for weight.

I looked at his site and pleased at his specs and location. He needs to get a new bike for the road disc model (1x?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydrew View Post
Is the butted tubing a hard requirement? Contact John Caletti who can build you a road disc frame with custom geometry included for $3,200 (https://caletticycles.com/bikes/disc-road/). He's a local builder based in Santa Cruz. IIRC from a conversation I had with him, you can upgrade certain tubes (e.g. downtube) to butted tubing.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
You're confusing rent control with subsidized housing. They're not the same thing.