Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 PM

experiences with floor-to-ceiling bike storage?

Does anyone have experience with either of these systems? Or have other suggestions? Unfortunately due to apartment constraints, the floor-to-ceiling systems seem to be the most suitable without taking up valuable floor space and/or become a tripping hazard...

I'm leaning towards the Feedback one because it appears the arms are of higher quality and they seem like a quality company.

vs

https://www.feedbacksports.com/shop/velo-column-silver/

https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Up-Floor.../dp/B00IPJCUQK
Old 07-07-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton View Post

I have this one, got it used for $50 off of Craigslist, it works well and I like the mid century modern wood look, it goes with our house.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
I have this one, got it used for $50 off of Craigslist, it works well and I like the mid century modern wood look, it goes with our house.
Good to know. I did manage to find one on CL that was in terrible condition and they wanted $60. The vinyl/rubber on the arms was basically shredded and peeling off. Didn't know if that was due to neglect or a design problem.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:56 PM

I have the second one, as well. Two of them. I like them, had them for years. HOWEVER... each one of them has just fallen over and I can't figure out how or why. They were both damn tight. One is on carpet, so maybe it finally compressed the carpet but the other is on hardwood.
The arms that support the bikes will leave marks on your paint on the underside of your top tube, so I cover them.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:58 PM

I have the Topeak version of the stand in the first picture. Works a treat and is rock solid. Ihave two bikes on it but I believe it can take up to four. I'm not sure I'd want to test that out though.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:36 AM

I use the Topeak Tune Up, and it is pretty solid. The only problem I've had is that the knobs that tighten the bike-holding arms are plastic, so they occasionally strip and break when getting the arms to not slip down. The nice thing is that Topeak's customer service is really off the charts good. They've sent me a new knob twice now and definitely recognize the design flaw without making excuses. Hoping they've updated it since I got mine 3+ years ago.

But yeah, the rack itself is really sturdy and lets you do some minor work on the bike (like oiling the chain) without breaking out the work stand in a tiny apartment (in my case).

Adding the link: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...eup-bike-stand

Last edited by ajhapps; 07-08-2017 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Added a link
Old 07-08-2017, 05:09 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
I too have that same wood one (although a lighter finish) and although I don't use it for bikes, I'm sure it would work well, and the arms are plenty strong. I got it to use as the basis for a motorcycle gear hanger system, but was also attracted by the simple design and the wood. I flipped the arms over and ran a large diameter wooden dowel rod through the holes in the end of the arms to serve as hanger rod for the moto gear. I haven't completed the job (I still need to add some disks at ends just in case, to keep hangers from sliding off.)

The only thing I don't really like is the fact that it has to press against the ceiling to stay upright, but many stands of this type have that issue. There are some free-standing ones out there, and some wall leaners too, but I decided I could live with the ceiling pressure issue. You don't have to exert too much force on whatever it is you have up there, in my case, I assume it's some sort of drywall.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
I have the second one, as well. Two of them. I like them, had them for years. HOWEVER... each one of them has just fallen over and I can't figure out how or why. They were both damn tight. One is on carpet, so maybe it finally compressed the carpet but the other is on hardwood.
The arms that support the bikes will leave marks on your paint on the underside of your top tube, so I cover them.
If the ceiling above is a truss roof then it has a little float to the bottom chord due to expansion and contraction (mostly due to the swings in attic temps).
Not sure if thats the case for you, but a ceiling like described above can move up to an inch sometimes.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:34 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Random comment:

I'm no ceiling expert, but IMO the larger the footprint of the top pad the better. 1) For the same overall force you reduce the pressure it exerts on whatever is up there, and 2) It's less likely to fall over, because the larger pad may rotate enough to prevent it from completely loosing contact with the ceiling. (that's assuming the lower one doesn't kick out in the opposite direction as the upper one starts to move, but I don't think that would be typical behaviour)
Old 07-08-2017, 06:26 AM

Those look great. Our ceilings are actually a bit too tall for the ones I found on line (the building is a converted warehouse), sadly. I got these leaning ones:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Art-o...fEcRoCsqXw_wcB

And am happy with the simplicity coupled with stability. The ones the OP listed will take less floor space, though.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:41 AM
bykhed

After trying many types of floor to ceiling, I am extremely pleased with the DaHanger Dan

https://dahanger.co/products/dahanger-dan

Where I used to only fit two bikes, I can now fit three. I have 6 Dans altogether, here is one side of my setup:

Old 07-15-2017, 05:53 PM

I have two Swagman and they are working well. One of them is set on a dresser to make better use of the space.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2017, 08:38 PM

I have used a Saris bike bunk for years and years. Not as fancy as those other ones, but won't fall forward and hasn't smudged my bikes.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcgill View Post
If the ceiling above is a truss roof then it has a little float to the bottom chord due to expansion and contraction (mostly due to the swings in attic temps).
Not sure if thats the case for you, but a ceiling like described above can move up to an inch sometimes.
I know nada about construction. One was in the basement & the other was on the middle level. If ceilings can have that much float, I'd bet the dopes who built this place were able to double it somehow.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:59 PM

Following up on my original post. I decided to go with the Feedback one because it worked better aesthetically in our space (we have an over abundance of wood finishes) and I found it on sale @ Excel. I also liked the more substantial cradle with rubber supports.

So far so good. I noticed a few small visual imperfections on it when it arrived, but nothing noticeable from a distance.

The pole is lightly spring loaded with about 3/4 to 7/8" movement. While I agree the larger top and bottom pads would prevent any issues, the spring loading mechanism seems like a much better method of accounting for contraction/expansion issues with the ceiling.

Overall I'm satisfied and would recommend it!