Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 PM
50 bpm

In some parts of the world, "Disneyland" is seen in a different light.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:04 AM

Echo what has been said above. If you're standing in long lines you're doing it wrong. Plan for me and 6 year old daughter:
1. Get there early at rope drop. Go on a bunch of the rides while the park is just opening.
2. Take a break for coffee/brain refresh
3. Meet some characters or go on less popular rides
4. Lunch either in park or hotel
5. Retreat to hotel to swim/nap/afternoon drinks for adults
6. Return to park for dinner, evening ride or two and watching the parade/fireworks if that's your thing.

make reservations for food in the park. keep hydrated and kids fed.

repeat each day of trip and see happiest kid on earth while dad still has a good time.

Also. Halloween. Disney Halloween is the best thing ever for younger kids looking to do something fun in the fall.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:08 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Old 08-03-2017, 10:03 AM

Just as a side note for those planning on going -- I just carry a 2L hydration bladder in my Osprey light backpacking pack. In the bag are snacks, changes of clothes, typical kid needs etc. my family shares the germs of the bladder. Start the day full to the brim of ice, add water, and refill along the way. keeps me cool (bladder is on my back) and I don't mind being the mule for the family.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfghbiker View Post
Echo what has been said above. If you're standing in long lines you're doing it wrong. Plan for me and 6 year old daughter:
1. Get there early at rope drop. Go on a bunch of the rides while the park is just opening.
2. Take a break for coffee/brain refresh
3. Meet some characters or go on less popular rides
4. Lunch either in park or hotel
5. Retreat to hotel to swim/nap/afternoon drinks for adults
6. Return to park for dinner, evening ride or two and watching the parade/fireworks if that's your thing.

make reservations for food in the park. keep hydrated and kids fed.

repeat each day of trip and see happiest kid on earth while dad still has a good time.

Also. Halloween. Disney Halloween is the best thing ever for younger kids looking to do something fun in the fall.
This, or a variation of it, is the best way to have a good time. The basic drill is:go early, take a break in the afternoon, go back for late afternoon/evening. Stay fed, stay hydrated and, at least as important, stay rested.

Also, unless you are a real Disney pro with oodles of trips under your belt, I highly recommend that you get the current edition of "The Unofficial Guide to" Disneyland or WDW, as appropriate. Great books. Tons of very useful tips, plans, recommendations, things to watch out for (good and less good) and generally getting the most out of your visit. If you are a Disney rookie, it will make you, if not a Pro, than a Cat 1.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
It's funny that the OP mentions the smells, they are fake. Ok, fake may be too strong of a word, but they artificially augment the smells.

We had fun, took the car train down. Not sure I would go back.
Im aware of that. Still smells good and ignites a memory when I think of it.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
We're going to stay offsite next time.. although I would really love to stay in the Contemporary resort some day.. I bet it looks dated but as a kid it always looked so futuristic, and it'd be cool to just roll out of your room and get on the monorail.
Insider tip of thr day:
For convenience, the Contemporary is not the best choice for the monorail system. The hotel trains run clockwise meaning that if you're going to the Magic Kingdom from the Contemporary, it'll make stops at the ticketing center, Polynesian and Grand Floridian before dropping you off at the park.

A better bet for transport convenience is the Grand Floridian. It's 1 stop on the monorail to the MK. On the way back take the local boat (not the big ticketing center ferry). The hotel boats run counter-clockwise so the first stop after leaving the Magic kingdom is the Grand Floridian.

However, our favorite top-tier resort for the family is the Wilderness Lodge. It has a dedicated boat back and forth from the Magic Kingdom and has a best pool to keep the kids having fun during the mid-day pool break. It has a small water slide and has plenty of families for the kids to make friends.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:09 PM

For those with the correct disposition for gaming credit card rewards, I thought this post on Disney was worth forwarding to my sister (who with my niece and nephew certainly qualify as a Disney family).

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...ld_megathread/