Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2017, 03:52 PM

wow, what a bunch of misanthropes

But to the OP, you have it all wrong. DisneyWORLD is where it's at! We went down to DisneyWorld all the time and spent a week in the campground that's on the actual DisneyWorld grounds. The campground was amazing: horse rides, bike rides, pools, games, other kids running around, and if you were as tall as the Mickey Mouse sign, you got to rent little 10 or 15 horsepower boats and ride around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. For a 6 year old...that was about as good as it gets. Throw in the fact that we hadn't even stepped foot in the Magic Kingdom yet and it was sensory overload.

When our family gets together, my parents still talk about how those vacations were so Magical to us kids and they couldn't help but share in the excitement with/for us.

Sad other people can't wrap their head around that concept.

Different fokes i 'spose.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post

But to the OP, you have it all wrong. DisneyWORLD is where it's at! We went down to DisneyWorld all the time and spent a week in the campground that's on the actual DisneyWorld grounds. The campground was amazing: horse rides, bike rides, pools, games, other kids running around, and if you were as tall as the Mickey Mouse sign, you got to rent little 10 or 15 horsepower boats and ride around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. For a 6 year old...that was about as good as it gets. Throw in the fact that we hadn't even stepped foot in the Magic Kingdom yet and it was sensory overload.

When our family gets together, my parents still talk about how those vacations were so Magical to us kids and they couldn't help but share in the excitement with/for us.

I've been giving so much thought to the purchase of an RV to cruise down in and stay at Fort Wilderness lately, LOL.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post
I've been giving so much thought to the purchase of an RV to cruise down in and stay at Fort Wilderness lately, LOL.
We always took our summer vacations in our Grandparents motorhome. They would always ask us kids where WE wanted to go and i think after that first year at Fort Wilderness, we went back to the same exact place another 2 or 3 years in a row, and that right there is saying something....the campground is somewhat confined (not like we were going to ride off into bad neighborhood or something) and because there were so many activities to do from sunup to sundown we were just constantly go, go, go......and my parents said we would fall asleep eating dinner which gave them all night to sit and relax....WIN WIN
Old 08-01-2017, 04:12 PM

I like Disney, I am from California and have been to Disneyland 10 or so times. Now I am on the east coast, I have been to Disney world twice but for about 6 days in total.

It doesn't make me super excited or extra happy or anything. At this point I think that I am just amazed at the production.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:12 PM

Loved it as a kid. Not so much as an adult. But I get the allure. Nothing wrong with escaping the real world for a day or two. And the looks on the kids faces while there is worth the price of admission.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:34 PM

First experience in America was going to Dinseyland when I was 4. We flew from Singapore straight to Disneyland, at least thats how I remember it. Pretty awesome.

With that said we went there this year with the kids as well as Legoland. We felt (to our suprise) Legoland was better. Disney was better organized and cleaner however......Best way we can sum it up is Disneyland enterains you in a passive way while Legoland is more interactive.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:47 PM

Until age 8, we lived about 30 miles from Disneyland, in Pasadena.

Even better, from the summer Disneyland opened, throughout our time living there, every summer the company my dad worked for rented the entire park for a full day for just the company employees and families - no lines, no tickets, just childhood bliss. We also went to Disneyland several other times per year. So my childhood memories of Disneyland are somewhat idyllic, and wonderful.

Since we moved away 51 years ago, I've only been back twice (3rd time likely in the next couple of years). I haven't minded the return visits, but neither my wife nor I particularly look forward to them - we both despise crowds. But we love the children's time there . . . except, interestingly, for months after the last So. CA visit, the children talked much more about Sea World and Legoland than they did Disneyland.

Last edited by ORMojo; 08-01-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 PM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maddox View Post
Ugh.

I'm glad you enjoy it, but the thought of those places makes me retch.

With all sincerity, please help me understand its appeal. I know LOTS of people who feel just as you do, but I simply don't get it.
I went in 1970
once was more than enough
never brought my kids
nver will
but some people love the evil mouse empire
to each his or her own I spose
Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 PM

Born and raised in So Cal. From our deck we can see (and hear) the fireworks at Disneyland every night. We are ~10 miles as the crow flies, can't imagine living next door and hearing that every night....

Anyway, been dozens of times. The best times when as a child, I got to go with my grandparents on Rockwell International night. Short lines, no tickets, super fun. On days when it is open to the public....you can have the crowds. Best times as an adult, I worked there as a contractor doing ride renovations/updates and they had contractor appreciation night. Great time, a good meal, and again no crowds.

I haven't been since 1993 and have no plans to go anytime soon. No grand kids yet though.

Seems a ton of money as well. For what a day for my cousins and their kids spent last summer I could go on quite the trip...
Old 08-01-2017, 05:24 PM

When the Colts won the SuperBowl in 2007 my father in law got a full share of the championship bonus (plus a ring!) and wanted to do something special with it. He decided to take his three daughters and their families to Disneyworld for 4 days at the parks and a three day cruise. I'm not big on crowds and I'd never pay a nickel to take a cruise but I'd have to be insane not to accept that trip especially for my 8 and 5 year old kids.

It was awesome! I can't imagine being at those parks without kids but with them everything was so fun living it through them. We had cousins who were "princess" girls loving that part, other cousins who were cartoon kids loving the interaction with those characters. My kids enjoyed the "scariest" rides even though the worst of them couldn't actually scare anyone since the parks seem designed around your average 8 year old.

Best part: If you're on the silly dumbo ride when the fireworks start going off they leave you on the ride for the full fireworks show. Didn't know it when we got in the very minimal line, was surprised when it happened and I'd actually pay money to relive that sequence with my kids.

Worst part: Hanging out with extended family is tough sometimes so I volunteered to run around with everyone's (15!) tickets and get ez-passes or whatever they called them so we didn't have to wait in line. It gave me a chance to escape the group while also giving me a chance to get a little exercise in by jogging around the park.

Anyways, worst part was we planned poorly and ended up standing in line at the stupid Pirates of the Caribbean ride for over an hour. We stood in line once and only once that trip.

Last night of the trip I had 15 line passes to the best roller coaster so four of us rode it three times in a row with people standing in line getting slightly pissed at us walking past them multiple times in 20 minutes. I gave the last 3 passes to a nice looking father and two kids at the back of the line when we left to even out the kharma.

Sorry to type so much, Disney does that to you.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post

I never did that but I can imagine how much fun that would be as a kid! My wife and I went to DW after we had both gone to DL a couple of times. We went to DW before we had kids. It was still fun, but I didn't like how spread out each land was from one another. Taking the trams fro one land to the next took so much extra time. Maybe there was a better way to coordinate the transfers and we just didn't know about it at the time. The other part we didn't like (Which is nobody's fault) was the weather. It was humid as heck and 3 out of the 5 days we were there monsoon'ed on us. several of the attractions were closed down because of the rain, which really sucked. The distance and cost to travel to Florida is a consideration for us as well. I hate flying because I get bored no matter what I bring with me on the plane and that is a long freaking flight.

I still like Disneyworld because I can still get myself lost in the Disney magic, I just prefer Disneyland.

Last edited by bianchi10; 08-01-2017 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:38 PM

went to Disneyland and Six Flags as a teenager in the 60s..they were ok, but seemed a bit tame for my tastes at that age.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was fun tho.

you'd have to pay me LARGE amounts of money to go to either venue now.

standing in line, massive crowds...yuk.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:18 PM
Picshooter

The company I retired from is a long time vendor at WDW. I have spent a fair bit of time there and have to say the best part is the unseen parts. The underground tunnels, cafeteria, mechanical and service areas. In that regard Disney is an interesting company.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:50 AM
Epic=No Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bianchi10 View Post
I still like Disneyworld because I can still get myself lost in the Disney magic, I just prefer Disneyland.
Agree. I love Disneyland for its manageable size and nostalgia. Disneyland is great.

Even though we live in NY, my wife and I have taken the kids to Disneyland each of the last three years. My wife grew up in Los Angeles, and my folks now live about an hour away, so we combine it with visiting the grand parents and eating tacos.

One thing that has made it work for us is that we've nailed the logistics. We get two-day parkhopper passes and we drive down about 5am on the first day, and check in to the Disneyland hotel. That gives you Magic Hour access to either Disneyland or California Adventure and off to the park you go, beating the crowds. Then you can stay at the parks until about 3, return to the hotel, let the kids go swimming and relax, and head back to the park for dinner and fireworks. The second day, your one night at the Disneyland hotel gives you an additional Magic Hour at the other park, so you beat the crowds then too. Spend until about 4pm at the parks, and the kids are cooked, load them in the car, and head back up the 5. It's not cheap, but early entrance to the parks on both days and a place to let the kids chill mid-afternoon really makes it worthwhile.

It's not super-cheap, but the kids have fun every time (they're now 9 and almost 7). The last time we went, we were on line to go into California Adventure and we were picked as the family to "Open the Park." Stuff like that is pure magic. I figure it's only good for another year or two, but for now, the kids love it, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Big Thunder Mountain, the Jungle Cruise, Matterhorn and Pirates!

Last edited by christian; 08-02-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

I've always loved Disney and continue to even more now that I have kids. I've also stopped trying to convince people who don't...if it isn't someone's thing they nothing can be said to change their mind.

About crowds and lines, if you are waiting in long lines you aren't doing it right. Their are pretty easy strategies for avoiding lines that are well documented on the internet, so a little research well before you go will help you maximize the visit. (Start about 18 months before you go because somethings should be done a year in advance). We usually go when crowd levels are 3 and 4, which makes avoiding lines pretty easy, but last spring our visit time was set by other commitments so we were at Disneyland for crowd level 7 days. Even at a 7, and at times it seemed more like and 8, we really didn't have to wait much at all. The same applies to cost. It is hard to save on park tickets, but there are plenty of ways to save on other costs, it just takes some planning ahead.