Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 11:41 AM

any reason to buy look keo max pedals over shimano?

I still have time pedals that work real well for me, so I have no idea if there is any good reason to go for the looks over the ubiquitous shimano look-style road pedals.

the scenario is a newish rider going for the their first real clipless road pedals after using cheapo mountain bike pedals on everything at first. I would say mid-priced shimano. is look a smart choice in any way in 2017/2018?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:45 AM

I would say you should go with one of the Shimano spd-sl variants. No squeaking, good bearings and they last for ever. Additionally, the spd-sl cleats have pontoons for walking on that the Look cleats don't have.

Spd-sl every day of the week and twice on Sunday!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:07 PM

one that thing about shimano that annoys me is the absurd number of look-style road pedals they have out there. ultegra AND 105? 540 AND 550? that's dumb. 3 levels would be fine.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villgaxx View Post
one that thing about shimano that annoys me is the absurd number of look-style road pedals they have out there. ultegra AND 105? 540 AND 550? that's dumb. 3 levels would be fine.
Greater consumer choice is not a bad thing, I wouldn't think.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 PM

Yeah, don't buy Looks. I used them for years, got my wife into road biking and she used them too. They don't wear well. I had a lot of bodies crack (carbon ones) and they generally get crappy over time. Cleats don't last long either.

Very happy with the recent switch to Shimano Ultra pedals.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:27 PM

I've ridden Look pedals since 03 (currently switching over to the Blade 2s) and they've always been great. NO complaints, no issues whatsoever
Old 08-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villgaxx View Post
I still have time pedals that work real well for me, so I have no idea if there is any good reason to go for the looks over the ubiquitous shimano look-style road pedals.

the scenario is a newish rider going for the their first real clipless road pedals after using cheapo mountain bike pedals on everything at first. I would say mid-priced shimano. is look a smart choice in any way in 2017/2018?
No, get shimano.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:34 PM

I've been a Look user for well over 20 years. However, I had a chance to borrow a friend's bike on a trip recently that had Shimano Ultegra pedals on it (fortunately, he also had a pair of shoes that were close enough for me to use). I was impressed and really liked the positive feel of engagement and how smooth the pedals felt. To me, they felt much more solid than the Looks. I'd make a move to Shimano pedals if I wasn't up to my eyeballs in KEOs.

Texbike
Old 08-11-2017, 12:36 PM

I honestly think my Shimano SPD-SL pedals will last forever. 105, Ultegra & Ultegra carbon, 7810, 7900, 9000. Indestructible.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:49 PM

used Shimano clipless pedals for a long time (both DA and Ultegra), never had any issues.

a few years ago, tried a set of Looks (Keo Carbon II)...only complaint is the squeaking which seems to be manageable with some cleaning/waxing when new and eventually goes away once everything gets worn in.

whereas the Shimano unclipping action requires a distinct movement of the foot, the Looks release with almost no input. but they've never disengaged on their own.

going to keep using the Looks on my primary ride, but if I was going to recommend pedals, I'd say go Shimano.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:09 PM

I have several pairs of SPD-SL pedals I need to move if you're interested.

Gotta put up an ad.

I used them for 5-6 years but increasingly get numbness problems with road shoes but not MTB shoes. I don't think SPD-SL is any part of the problem, more the stiffer road soles + the curve in the sole that forces your toes up.

I think I have 2 pairs of the Ultegras.. one metal body, one carbon body. The carbon ones have super minimal wear. I got them last September and gave up on them in a couple hundred miles. (Fitter tried to tell me the updated design on the carbon ones was going to solve my numbness issue... nope nope nope.)

If I could find a road shoe with a flatter last it'd probably do the trick.. not easy to find though. I ride flat/heels down and the shoes all look like they are built for toe-pointers.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:17 PM

No.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:28 PM

I have Look Keo 11's on 3 bikes. They work fine. last a long time for me. Cleats wear out about every 6 months. I switch them around for longer life. One side lasts longer than another....maybe the foot I put down.

If starting over....would do Shimano.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:42 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Bearings stay in adjustment longer on the Shimano pedals

Been thru Speedplays when they were new to SPD-Rs (ugh) to Looks and now back to SPD-Sl

Sticking with SPD-Sl for the foreseeable future

M
Old 08-11-2017, 03:46 PM

I used Look Keo's for about 7 years then switched to Shimano Ultegra pedals. Big difference in the stability feel especially when riding the Tandem. My left knee is much happier now plus that horrible squeaking is gone. I was also never a fan of the Keo Grip cleat. It was a bit of a $$ commitment since I had several bikes to swap over.