Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2017, 09:53 AM
VAV

OT: Retiring in Delaware: Newark/Wilmington/other?

All right peoples, my parents are very tired of living in northeastern NJ right across Manhattan (very high property taxes, congested 24/7, etc etc...)
With my sister also in NJ and us in RI ( 4 grandkids total) they want to stay relatively close and are strongly considering a move to DE. They are city-oriented folks and they take advantage of all NYC has to offer as they go there frequently on the weekends. They also travel abroad twice a year and take advantage of the proximity to newark airport. My dad still works and my mom is retired. They are concerned that once my dad retires (2017 or 18 at the latest when he turns 70) won't be able to continue to do the same. Their property tax sits at 14K right now with the house paid for. Also, he drives a company car so no insureance/gas/maintenance, etc and of course once he retires they'll need a car (mom does not drive)
Anyways, what does the forum collective wisdom thinks of DE and what it would offer?
Thanks in advance for your input
Old 02-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Brandywine valley seems like a nice spot. I rode there for a day with Rich Roat of House industries fame, and loved it. Rolling hills, lots of old-timey farms and homesteads, and the Dupont money seemed to be spread around the area at one time leaving interesting sights to see now. Wilmington may not boast the cultural attractions of NYC, but you're a short train ride away for a day trip if you can't find what you want. Not far from there is Lancaster county which has its well-known charm.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:25 AM
Older Than You

Not a solution to your question but I've been griping about paying $1.5K in property taxes here in Texas.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:37 AM
cmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
Not a solution to your question but I've been griping about paying $1.5K in property taxes here in Texas.
same here, $1600 tax IS TOO MUCH. move them to someplace cheaper with great health care.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:46 PM

My wife is from Newark so I have spent some time up there, but I've always lived in rural areas so Newark is congested to me...
Old 02-26-2017, 01:06 PM

I started a similar thread a while back. Since posting we have looked at a couple of houses in Wilmington--specifically in the Ardens (google this--it is a hoot), and more recently we have been browsing on line in the Chadds Ford area of PA.

Old thread is here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=180000

At the time of posting, we had looked online at some suburbs of Philly--and then took another look at Wilmington, where we have friends.

We liked Wilmington--and can see ourselves moving there if I can only stay healthy long enough to expedite finishing the renovation of the house we are in.

The NY/NJ/CT is too expensive to retire in, unless you made great decisions when you were younger and/or managed to get a gold-plated pension plan. Even then, I'm not sure what you get for your obscene property taxes. Ours are up to over $14,000/year and for that we get ****ty roads, overpaid cops and substandard schools.

Last edited by paredown; 02-26-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:08 PM

My father retired to the Kendal Crosslands community in Kennet Square and enjoys it. Close to Longwood Gardens, DuPont estate, Brandywine museum. Also when I visit I can hit the MTB trails in the area that are lots of fun.

The services and staff at Kendal have been great. Might not be the cheapest option....

Last edited by Buzz Killington; 02-26-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Low IQ
Old 02-26-2017, 05:36 PM

I don't know if this will help or harm but they should really go visit DE before making up their minds. I have vacationed a few times in Ocean City/Rehobeth and I don't think I would want to stay there full time. My Aunt and Uncle also were thinking along the same lines. They currently live in Mendham but with both kids gone they were thinking of relocating for retirement. They visited several areas throughout DE and decided that it wasn't for them either.

Another option would be moving out of Bergen/Essex and further south. We are in Morris and pay less than half that in taxes. Somerset could also be another option, just stay out of Hunterdon or they would be in the same position that they are in now. Obviously I don't know any of the particulars of their current house so that would effect things quite a bit too.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker72 View Post
How can you pay so little in TX? A $100,000 house would be $2,500+or- in most areas.

I wish I paid that a month.

Jeff
Old 02-26-2017, 06:43 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdm View Post
How can you pay so little in TX? A $100,000 house would be $2,500+or- in most areas.

I wish I paid that a month.

Jeff
No Texas state and city income taxes, right?

In the area of braggin' or, alternately, whinging about high levels of taxation, I doubt that anywhere has got New York, especially New York Metro, beat. People wanna live here - and the government (NOT 'gummint) knows it.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:04 PM

There are some areas of upstate NY that have reasonable taxes, but they are a 2 to 3 hour drive from NYC and do not have the same kind of amenities. My area has reasonably cheap homes with land comparitively speaking to downstate. My taxes are also quite reasonable for NY. 14k a year can afford you a nice big home with some land up this way.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
I don't know if this will help or harm but they should really go visit DE before making up their minds. I have vacationed a few times in Ocean City/Rehobeth and I don't think I would want to stay there full time.
My grandparents-in-law live in Rehoboth, it is quite unlike the Wilmington area. They live in a nice, quiet neighborhood, away from the messy outlet store area, but you still have to deal with outlet store+beachgoer traffic on 1, not pleasant...
Old 02-26-2017, 07:28 PM
It An't Me Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
There are some areas of upstate NY that have reasonable taxes, but they are a 2 to 3 hour drive from NYC and do not have the same kind of amenities. My area has reasonably cheap homes with land comparitively speaking to downstate. My taxes are also quite reasonable for NY. 14k a year can afford you a nice big home with some land up this way.
$14K a year? You mean $1.4K ($1,400.00) don't you? Ripples of taxation concentricity emanating, in effect, from ground zero at the Empire State Building outwards.

$14,000/year is entry level for combined state & school district taxes in Nassau County - which is about 15 miles from the Empire State Building. And additional NYS income taxes to be levied on top of that.

Martha Stewart's farm in Bedford, Westchester County I could only guess at, maybe $100K/year in taxes?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzalow View Post
$14K a year? You mean $1.4K ($1,400.00) don't you? Ripples of taxation concentricity emanating, in effect, from ground zero at the Empire State Building outwards.

$14,000/year is entry level for combined state & school district taxes in Nassau County - which is about 15 miles from the Empire State Building. And additional NYS income taxes to be levied on top of that.

Martha Stewart's farm in Bedford, Westchester County I could only guess at, maybe $100K/year in taxes?
Fuzz I have a modest house and 2 acres with a 15 year mortgage with taxes escrowed in for right around 6k a year. Just a few miles down the road from the southern adirondack park and great riding right from my front door. It works for me, but it's not NYC type of living.

My father in law just sold his parents place in Westchester county last year because the taxes were around 15k a year. My 14k a year estimate was for a mortgage on a nice home, acreage and taxes combined.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 PM

My parents are currently retired in milton de. The first year they paid 2200 in taxes on their home. Every year they live there from now on they pay 600 in taxes. Delaware has a lot of benefits for retirement.
That being said Delaware is different. Spend some time there and see if they like it. I suggest renting for a year then choose.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk