Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2016, 08:37 PM

CX Rays twisting....

When a spoke holder won't keep a CXRay still......

Old 11-12-2016, 09:05 PM
ergottWheels

Something else wrong when that happens. Threads shouldn't be locked up that tight.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:14 PM
PezTech

Yep... Spokes don't want to twist on their own.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by loimpact View Post
When a spoke holder won't keep a CXRay still......
What are the details behind that picture?
Old 11-12-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
What are the details behind that picture?
LBS sent me the pic before they tried truing it up. (I can true ok but I wanted this thing dished, trued, round....literally perfect!)

There's a spoke like this and then a couple "questionable" spokes that look like they were *almost* twisted but somebody backed off. Not having noticed it before, I could be being lied to but I'd tend to doubt it as I trust my LBS.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:17 PM

I have used cx rays and pillar bladed spokes and never seen this to happen to straight pull spokes wheel ever. If its in a J bend spoke then... you know...

I can't even imagine what could be happening for that to happen because just to start when spoke has the right tension it won't have the tendency to twist at all, and if it does dont see it happening like a 3/4 of a turn and just at the nipple, doesn't make sense.

Even if you try to twist the spoke at purpose, using the spoke holder in one direction and the nipple in the opposite direction I dont see how you will get so much torque to even do this, I totally see a spoke snapping trying it but twist the spoke? That's just weird.

Since you have more than one spoke failing i doubt the lbs will ask you like 10 bucks to get that repaired, with 3 spokes failing and depending on where it is pretty much you have to lose the whole wheel, swap the wheel and true it fully. Not 10 bucks neither 5 minutes retouch.

I was you I would learn how to do this yourself, there is a reason why less and less stores are fixing wheels. Dont worth their time, they offered you a new wheelset? Just asking...
Old 11-12-2016, 11:55 PM

Definitely not tossing the wheel. It's a fairly new Boyd Altamont. (bought 2nd hand but still very nice wheel).

My suspicion is that previous owner may have been trying to tweak and didn't use a spoke holder. Yes, they're J bend but I believe still easily possible. If you hadn't noticed CX Rays are very skinny and thin. The transition from blade to round is quite abrupt and therefore susceptible, imo to doing something like that.

I'll replace the few spokes and retrue. I just need to try a few more tricks (oil drops in nipples, etc).
Old 11-13-2016, 04:39 AM

It might be that the spokes/some spokes are a size or two long and are bottoming out on the threads....
Old 11-13-2016, 05:06 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by loimpact View Post
LBS sent me the pic before they tried truing it up. (I can true ok but I wanted this thing dished, trued, round....literally perfect!)

There's a spoke like this and then a couple "questionable" spokes that look like they were *almost* twisted but somebody backed off. Not having noticed it before, I could be being lied to but I'd tend to doubt it as I trust my LBS.
Nipples bonded to spokes, 'maybe' using some sort of glue or 'feeeze' type stuff. Replace is the only option.