Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2006, 03:41 PM

Selling in the classifieds

I have had pretty much just good experiences here with the Serotta Classifieds, eBay and the RBR classifieds.

I am selling my Strong steel frameset and have advertised it here and at RBR dot com.

Today I received an inquiry from the UK. I am well aware of fraud online etc. But this one seems like it is not so obvious. Not sure what to think of it. The guy says he will pay by personal or bank check. I respond that I will for sure have to wait until the check clears. I don't know this guy from Adam or Eve and it is an international deal.

I have never had anything but honest dealings so far in all my transactions. Is there anything odd here? If the guy is really willing to wait for delivery until the check clears is it less likely to be fraudulent?

Or are international things like this just scams?

Sincerely,

Too Trusting Saab2000

PS - The interested party thinks the bike is in the US, which it is. Pay no heed to my Swiss location, as it is only part time now. This frequently throws people off when doing transactions.

Last edited by saab2000; 07-14-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:09 PM

you could call him on the phone

for a couple of bucks to see if he speaks.

Why would someone be interested in going to the hassle and the cost of shipping to get a used steel frameset? I know Strong make some of the best, but I am simply considering the complexities and cost of the transactions for both sides.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Hold your line!!

Don't forget this thread.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...highlight=scam

My CSi
Old 07-14-2006, 05:54 PM

If he's willing to pay by check...

...get the check, cash it, if it clears send him the bike. If not, don't. Where's the risk?

-Ray
Old 07-14-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
...get the check, cash it, if it clears send him the bike. If not, don't. Where's the risk?

-Ray
The risk is basically time wasted. Otherwise nothing, as you note. The mails sound a bit scam like though. I am sort of ignoring it.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Steel..what else??

Saab if the check is drawn on a stolen account it could take longer to come back as a problem. They could debit your account later if the owner of the account complains. If the account is closed already, then you will get it back quicker. The same goes for double endorsed checks, they can actually come back after you long after you thought it cleared. I would stay away from all kinds of foreign cashier checks or MO...imho.....
Old 07-14-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dan
Saab if the check is drawn on a stolen account it could take longer to come back as a problem. They could debit your account later if the owner of the account complains. If the account is closed already, then you will get it back quicker. The same goes for double endorsed checks, they can actually come back after you long after you thought it cleared. I would stay away from all kinds of foreign cashier checks or MO...imho.....
Good advice. Thanks!!

I trust absolutely the people I 'know' here. But this came from my RBR advertisement and I had never heard of this one. Here I have never been burned.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Is this roundtrip?

Just remember that just because a check clears your bank initially, doesn't mean it will clear the original bank.

A buddy of mine got scammed with either a bank check or money order. Cautious by nature, he got the check and had his bank check with the issuing bank. Initially the issuing bank said the check was a good number, so he deposited it in his bank. The check clears his bank (7 days), he ships the stuff, the check actually gets back to whichever other bank issued it (both banks in the US) and is flagged as a counterfit 14 days (on top of the original 7) later. Bank takes their money back.

If it weren't my buddy, I'd say it was urban legend...but make sure the check clears both your bank and the issuing bank before you ship the goods.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:32 PM

Get him to send you cash.

I've sent cash in a registered letter to the UK a couple of times,
it think it cost about $12-15, about the same as a money order,
but lots easier.

g