Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 08:40 AM

Gravel climbs

Looking for suggestions on routes or destinations that have long, sustained, gravel climbs anywhere in Virginia or West Virginia suitable for gravel/cross bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 AM

Here is a nearly 500 mile long route through VA, approx 75% gravel. There are some great gravel sections along the route. I can provide better details about the southern end of the route toward Damascus.

https://www.transvirginia.org/
Old 05-22-2018, 09:21 AM

Devils Backbone mountain cross route-google it for map my ride or rwgps.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:24 AM

George Washington National Forest. The areas around Nelson County and the Blue Ridge Parkway have miles of gravel with miles of climbing and descending. It’s an astonishingly great area to be a cyclist.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
George Washington National Forest. The areas around Nelson County and the Blue Ridge Parkway have miles of gravel with miles of climbing and descending. It’s an astonishingly great area to be a cyclist.
+1, I took a trip to Harrisonburg a few years ago and that was a great base for this riding.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTR1000SP2 View Post
Looking for suggestions on routes or destinations that have long, sustained, gravel climbs anywhere in Virginia or West Virginia suitable for gravel/cross bikes.

First and foremost: Hilly Billy Roubaix

Then whatsisname's Gran Fondo (but I hear they're taking out the gravel climb this year)

Then... There's a map VA puts out with all the gravel roads on it that's been posted here and on ADVRider.com

There's a few of us that ride gravel in/near The Plains where there's gravel options up to a metric century between there and middleburg

M
Old 05-22-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post

Then whatsisname's Gran Fondo (but I hear they're taking out the gravel climb this year)

M
Jeremiah Bishop.
http://alpineloopgranfondo.com/
Old 05-22-2018, 02:06 PM

Great suggestions so far. The Devils Backbone route is a great one, who doesn’t want to end a ride at a brewery. Also found some climbs in George Washington and Jefferson National Forest: Judge Rye, Squirrel Gap, and Fetzer Gap.

I’ll be heading down for 2 days of riding in the area and with so many options, finding elevation or gravel seems like it won’t be an issue.

As someone who appreciates the view along the ride, especially when it provides miles of visibility as you ascend, what would be considered the most picturesque climb in the area?

Old 05-22-2018, 02:19 PM

Rapha Prestige Appalachia in WV featured a lot of grinding dirt climbs. I believe they ran the event two consecutive years but one of the routes is below.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/15903972
Old 05-22-2018, 05:48 PM

Check out the site for Raw Talent Ranch located near Lost River, WV. Jay, the owner, caters to cyclists and has several routes posted on his website. The back side gravel climb to his place is a killer. There are gravel climbs everywhere.
http://www.rawtalentranch.com
Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 AM

There are numerous gravel roads leading to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Nelson, Amherst, Bedford counties. The Terrapin Mountain 50k run route is a stiff climb.

http://www.eco-xsports.com/events/terrapin/

Petites Gap around mile post 70 has a nice wide gravel road from the Parkway down to just outside Natural Bridge. One of my favorite roads is along the north fork Tye River in Nelson County off highway 56. It is more of a gentle climb. Hwy 56 itself is the pretty stiff paved Montebello climb up to the Parkway. As noted above, the Devils Backbone route is a good option although I heard the Cub Creek Road is paved now. The brewery frequently has events and there is a big parking area and separate bathroom for cleaning yourself up before grabbing a burger and brew. The very tough Wintergreen climb is close by (paved).
Old 05-23-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
There are numerous gravel roads leading to the Blue Ridge Parkway in Nelson, Amherst, Bedford counties. The Terrapin Mountain 50k run route is a stiff climb.

http://www.eco-xsports.com/events/terrapin/

Petites Gap around mile post 70 has a nice wide gravel road from the Parkway down to just outside Natural Bridge. One of my favorite roads is along the north fork Tye River in Nelson County off highway 56. It is more of a gentle climb. Hwy 56 itself is the pretty stiff paved Montebello climb up to the Parkway. As noted above, the Devils Backbone route is a good option although I heard the Cub Creek Road is paved now. The brewery frequently has events and there is a big parking area and separate bathroom for cleaning yourself up before grabbing a burger and brew. The very tough Wintergreen climb is close by (paved).
Cub Creek is paved now? Tragic! I’m sure it’s still a wicked hard climb though. But unpaved it really stood out.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Cub Creek is paved now? Tragic! I’m sure it’s still a wicked hard climb though. But unpaved it really stood out.
Yeah I think it was in one of the spam emails I got for the last ride, which I was unable to do. I did the first one of those about 10 years ago, out of shape and I had to climb off the bike and walk coming back up Cub Creek at the end. I had tears in my eyes.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:16 AM

edit

Quote:
The very tough Wintergreen climb is close by (paved).
Did the Wintergreen Ascent many years ago. Stayed at Wintergreen several times as well. Nice views.

Martin at Acorn Inn (Nellysford) took us on some dirt roads during an 80 mile ride when we last stayed there in '02.

One advantage Virginia has over WV, food and beer.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah I think it was in one of the spam emails I got for the last ride, which I was unable to do. I did the first one of those about 10 years ago, out of shape and I had to climb off the bike and walk coming back up Cub Creek at the end. I had tears in my eyes.
I rode it first about 7 years ago on a loosely organized ride with some friends. I was told the ride included some gravel so I outfitted my Zanconato with some 25mm tubulars instead of the usual 22/23s. I made it the whole ride but I wanted more tire. But the kicker was that I thought I'd be OK with a 39x25 low gear. Not remotely low enough, though I never had to walk. I made it up Cub Creek with the 39x25, redefining the word "Grind", going up at about 4 MPH and barely keeping the pedals turning over.

That hill is hard. Then you round a bend and it appears to go straight uphill. One of the hardest climbs I've done. Not crazy long, but it's a mean mofo with the gradient and it doesn't let up at all until you're at the very top.

The last time I did it my Indy Fab had a 34x32 and finally I felt my gearing was appropriate for the hill!