Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 12:47 PM

We're actively working on this as well. Plan to retire in December though may work part time into next year to tie up loose ends. Making another scouting trip to Eugene OR next month to figure out which neighborhood, etc. Much of our family lives on the west coast, so that's part of the reason. Have been to the PNW many times over the last 40 years and have always thought that's where we'd like to end up. We've lived for the last 8 yrs. in Bloomington, IN which many consider the best place in the state. It's also the most expensive Indiana city, so the housing prices in Eugene are not such a huge leap. My wife says she's lived her whole life in this state and doesn't want to die here. We're looking forward to the change as an adventure as we plot the course of the next phase of our lives.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolwulf View Post

I do wonder how people with multiple bikes could manage though on, say a 40’ sailboat.
A panel van permanently parked in the marina parking lot...
Old 05-22-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
Santa Fe real estate prices are off the charts. 1,000 sq ft fixer uppers are $250 sq ft. The rental market is almost in a shortage crisis.

Pueblo might become the new Boise.
Funny how we think based on where we live, 1,000 sq ft fixer uppers are $700 sq ft. around here. Of course you can pay more per sq ft on smaller homes, as the larger 2700 - 3000 sq ft newly remodel homes are in the $700 sq ft range also.

Last edited by KarlC; 05-22-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:53 PM

We are in process of moving into our retirement house, moving from central Massachusetts to the east side of Rhode Island, right in a private bay/estuary. Began this process a year ago, as I work from home (whereever) and wife works in MA. Drive during not busy hours is 1:15, so not to far from friends. Owning the 2 houses is allowing us to cleanup (ie new septic) for our old house.

Downsizing is great! We took all the "nice" stuff from old house - kids can take what they want - rest to donation/sale etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0871.jpg (148.4 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0871 copy.jpg (148.5 KB, 210 views)

Last edited by buddybikes; 05-22-2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:55 PM

A couple of places we have looked at:

Delaware/PA border area: positives--striking distance to NYC, close to MIL (but not sure how long she will be able to continue to live independently so that may not be a compelling reason for too much longer), somewhat affordable and low tax;

Western MA/Berkshires: on the less fashionable northern end (and I will look again at NY--thanks for the suggestion Hilltopperny);

Spokane, WA: perfect for a westerner at heart, this is one of those overlooked small cities--on the dry side of the Coastal range, and within easy traveling distance to similar small interior BC cities where long-time Vancouver friends have either moved or retired to. I too hate, hate, hate hot and humid, and in this area you get 4 seasons, but hot and dry most summers;

We've looked a a couple of other lower cost areas like Cedar Rapids (friends were there and liked it); we liked Milwaukee... Ideally we'd like to be reasonably close to a decent sized airport, since we have family and friends scattered all over. (We are a little bit split on climate--I don't mind cold, my lovely wife less so--but we've come up with a working solution--I keep the wood stove stoked, and she's OK.)

We've discussed the possibility of RV'ing\ #VanLife for a time, but an affordable home base would suit us best.

We have no kids--and I have been surprised reading on AllCity the number of people who are moving to where the kids are settling in (acquaintances of ours recently put down roots in the N. Baltimore (Towson) area because of this.)

Last edited by paredown; 05-22-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post
We are in process of moving into our retirement house, moving from central Massachusetts to the east side of Rhode Island, right in a private bay/estuary. Began this process a year ago, as I work from home (whereever) and wife works in MA. Drive during not busy hours is 1:15, so not to far from friends. Owning the 2 houses is allowing us to cleanup (ie new septic) for our old house.

Downsizing is great! We took all the "nice" stuff from old house - kids can take what they want - rest to donation/sale etc.
That looks nice--I was reading a long thread on All City yesterday--a couple looking for water access, and downsizing from CA and they ended up close to you (but on the MA side)--access to Boston, but pretty affordable.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
I have been buying and fixing up places in the Adirondack Park in Fulton county NY since last year. I purchase bank owned or tax foreclosed places for relatively low prices and rehab them to sell.

The cost of living is pretty cheap and at the tax foreclosure auction you can buy a fixer upper with acreage for anywhere for $10,000 to $70,000 in varying states. The riding is great, but there are always trade offs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is interesting, we have always bought the bad house in the best location we could find, fix it up and live in it for a few years then sell. This has worked very well for us, but Im not sure we want to do this more then 1-2 more times.

Selling our home and buying a smaller fixer would leave us plenty of cash to buy and sell fixers on the side, its something to consider.

How do you find out about the tax foreclosure auctions ?

Last edited by KarlC; 05-22-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:02 PM

What I've found as I've gotten older is that getting rid of 'stuff' is extremely liberating. Over our lives we accumulate way, way too much stuff and it bogs us down in many ways.

I live alone and am a ways off from retirement still, but it's on my mind. Last year I bought a single-family home which has 1518 square feet above ground and a basement. It's too much house! But it's hard to go smaller and stay in a single family home that's decent, at least where I currently live. My preferred locale of Minneapolis does have such homes but for various reasons, I don't currently live there.

Anyway, I do recommend downsizing but everyone has to balance that. Personally, I've gotten rid of things and hope to keep doing so. I miss none of it.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
What I've found as I've gotten older is that getting rid of 'stuff' is extremely liberating. Over our lives we accumulate way, way too much stuff and it bogs us down in many ways.

I live alone and am a ways off from retirement still, but it's on my mind. Last year I bought a single-family home which has 1518 square feet above ground and a basement. It's too much house! But it's hard to go smaller and stay in a single family home that's decent, at least where I currently live. My preferred locale of Minneapolis does have such homes but for various reasons, I don't currently live there.

Anyway, I do recommend downsizing but everyone has to balance that. Personally, I've gotten rid of things and hope to keep doing so. I miss none of it.
Agree--we got rid of so much stuff when we first moved overseas, and we didn't miss any of it. (Occasionally, we'd think we had something, and then realize it went in the multiple garage sales we held.) But if it is something that you really need, you can always get another one.

I will find it hard to divest my tools--it will be an admission that there will be no more big projects on the horizon--but I have watched other guys older than me come to terms with that too.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:16 PM
needs adult supervision

Anyone know of a city/area that has a great food and restaurant scene but it’s crazy expensive?

Both my wife and I worked in NYC for too long, where our bar for good food was set pretty high. It may sound crazy but quality of food is high on our quality of life yardstick.

Both Portland, OR and Austin have great food scenes but have gotten ragingly costly. Conversely, Portland, ME has great food, not crazy prices but...there’s winter. The Mrs is from Maine and has tons of family there. Summers there are wonderful but winters are a no go for me.

So...is there somewhere with year round riding, affordable housing and great food? Asking too much?
Old 05-22-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceolwulf View Post
Exact same situation here! I would love living on a boat I think, don’t like the neighbours or the weather just move, and never grass to mow but the size of boat I’d need for my stuff is a bit alarming
Well, John Wayne bought a surplus mine sweeper so maybe you need to check government surplus auctions. :-) Check out "Wild Goose".
Old 05-22-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climb01742 View Post
anyone know of a city/area that has a great food and restaurant scene but it’s crazy expensive?

Both my wife and i worked in nyc for too long, where our bar for good food was set pretty high. It may sound crazy but quality of food is high on our quality of life yardstick.

Both portland, or and austin have great food scenes but have gotten ragingly costly. Conversely, portland, me has great food, not crazy prices but...there’s winter. The mrs is from maine and has tons of family there. Summers there are wonderful but winters are a no go for me.

So...is there somewhere with year round riding, affordable housing and great food? Asking too much?
st. Louis.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:39 PM

Providence is a bit more temperate (but last winter Jan - April sucked) and great foodie scene. Riding down in south eastern MA is nice, and for older set (me and my bad back) the east by bike path next door (.5 miles from house). I hate heat so being near water helps.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveandbarb1 View Post

I'm curious, how did you settle on RI as a retirement location? Was it a summer home? The Ocean State doesn't make many "best places to retire" lists. I need to stay near the ocean and prefer NE. My kid is starting university there soon and it would be nice to stay in the region.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:41 PM

An RV er friend of mine a few years ago bought into a RV park where you actually owned a small lot. Basically he bought a pad with hook ups where he could keep a storage shed and small car. He is only there from time to time.....but he has a home base and a place to keep some stuff....bike tools, extra bikes, parts, a few landscape tools, etc. Believe he has now constructed a covered A frame type structure to pull the RV under when he is there. Shields him from sun, etc. It's kinda like a house now....with outbuilding. That has a motor.

Saw some folks in Alaska doing this also.....keeps snow from crushing the RV roof.

I have been retired about 20 years, and have been about everywhere in USA. Saw what some of you say about warm places.....but you could not pry me out of Florida....as a home base. 8-9 comfortable months, 12 month riding, and hot summers a good time to be gone....if I wish. I have a thermostat controlled solar heated pool, and AC system that has humidity and temp setting. I'm as comfortable here as anywhere, and can go where I please in hot season. And RE in my (most homes 2200-2500 ft) subdivision runs around $160/foot for a 3 or 4 BR, 2-3 bath, pool, with a 3 car garage, and no state income tax. Paved trails and rural roads all around, and a seriously huge cycling culture. You just have to not mind flat and gentle rolling hill riding. And BTW....I don't live like a tourist does when they visit.....I would not even consider doing what tourists do in middle of day. I was on my bike this AM at 7:30, and off by 10 AM.

Last edited by Ralph; 05-22-2018 at 01:59 PM.