Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 12:18 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I use the XT trail pedals which have a larger platform to spread out the pressure. Shimano makes some nice SPD MTB shoes as well. Tires depend on the conditions and what you can clear. When I was doing gravel events on my Gunnar Crosshairs, I rode Continental Cyclocross Speed in 35mm with tubes. They were great tires and worked well with the bigger rock gravel we have around here. Kind of overkill for smooth dirt or packed gravel but you have to be able to handle the worst. Now I'm on tubeless with Gravel Kings in 38mm on a dedicated gravel bike. I'd steer you towards tubeless if you are going to do a lot of gravel riding because they're simply more reliable and you can run lower pressures.
Do the sole of your clipless shoes actually make contact with the platform cage of the xt pedals? I thought they were there more for riding around on regular shoes.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Every time I get a puncture and it seals up, I smile. That being said, you should carry bacon strips or dynaplug for larger holes. It will still be faster than wrestling with a tube. The only scenario I carry a tube for would be a massive sidewall slash requiring a tire boot.

Pedals I use Xpedo M-Force8 Ti - a weenie SPD option, they have been solid.

Tires are heavily terrain dependent - lots of great options across the board from ultralight near-slicks (Compass, GravelKing Slick) to nearly full bore MTB tires.

I'm currently using 700x38 Specialized Trigger Pros - they're popular in the gravel racing circuit too.

(source: 6000+ miles of absurdly abusive gravel/dirt riding
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barlow.jpg (123.7 KB, 186 views)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:06 PM

Lots of good choices for tires, but my favorite budget tire for gravel is the panaracer pasela. I rode them for d2r2 a couple of years back. If not on a budget anything from compass and schwalbe g-one all road for tubeless set ups.

I ride speedplay frogs on my gravel/all road bike and my two titanium road bikes. They take a little getting used to, but I like the walk ability they afford me and don’t feel them lacking too much on the road. I do ride by myself almost exclusively and am not very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2018, 03:52 PM

If you are used to the frictionless float of Speedplay, the Frogs are your best bet, maybe BeBop. But you can keep riding the X pedal — seldom do I put my foot down or walk more on gravel / dirt rides than on road rides. I also rode Time ATAC, and now ride Shimano SPDs.

Tires: Compass are best feeling / fastest riding of that genre (if you’re used to the road tubulars from Clement of old). Then Schwalbe / Panaracer. Buy as fat of a tire as will fit with good clearance (6 mm or more). Beware that fatter tires could make the front end “flop” more, but it’s a rare cross bike that will take > 38 mm tires.

I personally don’t want / need tubeless for the dirt roads around here, and occasionally I break out old fashioned tubulars (Vitt XNs). They really do take the edge off relative to clinchers of the same size.

IMO, YMMV, etc.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:29 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
Thanks, any particular model of the Celements? I remember using their road tires back in the 80's, didn't realize they are still around...
It's not the same company, the name was just revived. However, that license agreement ended last year and now what were Clement tires are Donnelly tires; they're the same, only the name has changed.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Every time I get a puncture and it seals up, I smile. That being said, you should carry bacon strips or dynaplug for larger holes. It will still be faster than wrestling with a tube. The only scenario I carry a tube for would be a massive sidewall slash requiring a tire boot.

Pedals I use Xpedo M-Force8 Ti - a weenie SPD option, they have been solid.

Tires are heavily terrain dependent - lots of great options across the board from ultralight near-slicks (Compass, GravelKing Slick) to nearly full bore MTB tires.

I'm currently using 700x38 Specialized Trigger Pros - they're popular in the gravel racing circuit too.

(source: 6000+ miles of absurdly abusive gravel/dirt riding

What letter is that crank arm covering...

I like Time ATACs on all my bikes since I commute on them too.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybanana86 View Post
What letter is that crank arm covering...
Ha, that's just my blog.. it's a generic china frame. I put the URL on for a big trip I did last summer: https://dennisrides.com

I had the bike attached to my motorcycle and it kept drawing a crowd, it was faster to point them at the web site!

I had some idea I'd keep updating it for my various gravel adventures, but it never stuck. Heres 3 recent mixed rides I did:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1582856722
https://www.strava.com/activities/1570283266
https://www.strava.com/activities/1552123678
Old 05-20-2018, 05:45 PM

I am an advocate for the Ritchey Micro WCS pedals. I run them on all my bikes now. I love them.

I also like Clement tires, but as mentioned they're now Donnelly. They licensed the Clement name from Pirelli, decided that with the licensing nearing an end and Pirelli back in the bike tire game, it was better to rebrand. Or so said the Bikerumor and Bicycle Retailer articles at the time of the name change.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:27 PM

I am in the Compass and no tubeless camp on gravel. I use XTR pedals, which are OK.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:41 PM

I guess I’m the odd man out, but i often walk or hike with my gravelbike. If not for that, then I’d throw some speedplay zeros on.

I’m currently riding syzr’s. Not crazy about them to be honest. May go back to time Ataks or xpds at some point though

Also not riding tubeless either. Too messy for me. I’m sure there’s benefits, and I may give them another shot some day.

Hutchinson Override user. I don’t have a car, so all my rides start with a bit of pavement first. Work well on both the road and dirt for me.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:46 PM
なんでやねん

I use Time ATACs but I think any mountain bike pedal should be fine. If your gravel roads are fairly mild and you don't get off the bike much you could probably even use road pedals.

There is no best tire. Every environment is so different. Sometimes the best tire is a 28 with a bit of tread. Sometimes you'll be wishing for a fat bike. This is one area you pretty much have to get the local lore and wisdom, or resign yourself to experimenting a bit.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:00 PM

Thank you everyone, all this information is super helpful. Lots to think about and lots of great advice. I'll take a couple of days to cull through everything and then get a couple of orders going!
Old 05-20-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Tow is tubeless “simply more reliable”?
I run 32mm gravelkings on tubeless rims and have never, never had a situation where I wanted or needed tubeless.
Now, I helped a friend fix a flat on his tubeless setup out of a road in BFE. It didnt look more reliable to me. In fact the mess of installing a tube with all the sealant and such was a huge pain in the a$$. Every time I start to think about tubeless I run across a situation like that and quickly remember how reliable my tubes are.
Then don't get tubeless, I'm sure seeing someone having a problem is reason enough. Tubeless is more reliable on gravel and that is what this thread is about. I've done dozens of gravel races from 60-100 miles and the guys on the side of the road (gravel road) are changing tubes or asking for a tube. For all those events, I've never seen a person installing a tube because their tubeless tire won't seal. I also run 40# in 38mm tires and don't worry about pinch flats. But hey, you saw a guy deal with sealant.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Do the sole of your clipless shoes actually make contact with the platform cage of the xt pedals? I thought they were there more for riding around on regular shoes.
Soles are on the pedal. I usually spray a little WD 40 on my soles before longer rides so they don't make noise. I've got the regular XT's on my cross bike and it's a different feel in the same shoes.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:21 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
Then don't get tubeless, I'm sure seeing someone having a problem is reason enough. Tubeless is more reliable on gravel and that is what this thread is about. I've done dozens of gravel races from 60-100 miles and the guys on the side of the road (gravel road) are changing tubes or asking for a tube. For all those events, I've never seen a person installing a tube because their tubeless tire won't seal. I also run 40# in 38mm tires and don't worry about pinch flats. But hey, you saw a guy deal with sealant.
Maybe it has more to do with terrain in the area you ride?
I see you are in Texas, I have ridden quite a bit down there and in Az. you all have alot of plants and such that like to attack bike tires and tubes. We dont have that here. No attack plants or thorns so flats are really a non issue. Also, our gravel is really not that. More like improved “b” roads that are dusty but not full or rocks and such to cause pinch flats.
To each their own I guess.
We dont have much in the area of gravel roads to chose from so my expierence is limited. https://iowagravelroads.com

Last edited by Cicli; 05-21-2018 at 05:24 AM.