Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Bike Guy

I found this bolt on both shifters to be loose, much more so on the LH (front Der.) shifter. When I tightened both down using minimal finger pressure the shifter clicked audibly . . . problem solved?[IMG]Athena LH shifter suspect bolt![/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (114.8 KB, 356 views)
Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giverdada
so, i'm still confused: is 11 speed campy rebuildable or not? are we stuck with the entire shifting assembly and only able to move over the brake lever and hood? i love the 11 speed hood design and feel, and i'm stuck on ultrashift as my favourite shifting mechanism ever, but i got into campy because of its rebuildability as a major factor. i'm hoping it's rebuildable.

Sure it's rebuildable, but you can't buy the individual parts that might be needed. The upside is that the new design has no highly stressed parts that wear out quickly, so replacing parts should not often be needed. The old design required regular replacement of the g-springs and the spring retainer.

About all you can do is take the shifters apart (also much easier), clean up the innards and regrease.

Last edited by Dave; 03-09-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 AM
Bike Guy

Bumping this to see if any Campy mechanics have an opinion ony last post (re the bolt tightening at the rear of the shifter).
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb
Bumping this to see if any Campy mechanics have an opinion ony last post (re the bolt tightening at the rear of the shifter).
I'll bet it did, needs to be fairly tight, there is a 3mm bolt on the front also that needs to be checked.

And as has been mentioned, Campagnolo now 'officially' sells only 'assemblies' but there are work arounds. Some warranty centers, if they warranty a lever that doesn't require a send back, strip the levers for parts. And I have done that also, stripped a lever for parts but as has been mentioned, no shift springs or spring carriers so no real 'rebuild' required. take apart and re-assembly is pretty easy with aonly a couple of 'gotchcas'. Removing the hood is one, makes getting the front spring into the slot much easier and making a tool to rehook the thumb button return spring is another.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM

Potato do you see that he has the white version if the thingy I was asking you last time??? Or that's a washer???
Old 10-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Climber

Bumping an old thread but this is exactly what happened to my Record 11 speed FD shifter. I messed with the front derailleur and cable for months. Today I googled to see if I could get a rebuild kit for my shifter and this thread popped up.

FYI for those running Campy 11 speed. If your front trimming is not crisp, this screw may be loose. Mine was and now it shifts like new.

Thanks again Paceline! So thankful I found this post.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:25 AM

Another Google search lifesaver!
Old 09-13-2016, 09:49 PM
cmg

sorry for bringing this back up

sorry for pulling this thread back up...... on two different sets of 11 speed shifters, the finger shifter spring has managed to commit suicide. does any one know where i can get the part? or do i have to get a lever body? i'm looking for a shifter lever. can i use s shifter lever from a 10 speed? my love affair with campy maybe ending if i can't get parts. or i maybe converting back to 10.....any ideas?

Last edited by cmg; 09-13-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:27 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg View Post
sorry for pulling this thread back up...... on two different sets of 11 speed shifters, the finger shifter spring has managed to commit suicide. does any one know where i can get the part? or do i have to get a lever body? i'm looking for a shifter lever. can i use s shifter lever from a 10 speed? my love affair with campy maybe ending if i can't get parts. or i maybe converting back to 10.....any ideas?
So many questions...the spring that centers it or the spring that holds the lever forward? No, the shift lever blade is different for 2008 and older, 10s levers. The shift lever blade is the same for 2009+, all models. I have shifter parts, both the blade and springs. If it's the spring that holds it forward, new shifter blade.

PM or email me. I can install(not hard but can be difficult)..$25 labor per.

Pchisholm172@gmail.com

OBTW-if this were a out of warranty shimano or scam shifter..into the trash it would go so don't do anything rash..
Old 02-05-2017, 10:49 AM

What grease?

I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm wondering what grease you guys are using when you service the 11 speed Campy shifters. I serviced a left side Chorus shifter a couple of months ago and it initially felt like new but it has
gotten soft already.

I am going to try again but I am wondering if a different grease might help. I used the the green Park grease to service it.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
I'm resurrecting this thread because I'm wondering what grease you guys are using when you service the 11 speed Campy shifters. I serviced a left side Chorus shifter a couple of months ago and it initially felt like new but it has
gotten soft already

I am going to try again but I am wondering if a different grease might help. I used the the green Park grease to service it.

Thanks
Soft?

I'd say, like the previous posts, make sure the wee bolts that hold the front and back 'guts' in place are tight. Nothing to really get 'soft' in there, with wee ball bearings and very hard steel notched discs.

Grease is oil in soap, I use lithium, some inside the shift disc and on the plates and such that are sandwiched inside the shifting mechanism 'sandwich'.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Soft?

I'd say, like the previous posts, make sure the wee bolts that hold the front and back 'guts' in place are tight. Nothing to really get 'soft' in there, with wee ball bearings and very hard steel notched discs.

Grease is oil in soap, I use lithium, some inside the shift disc and on the plates and such that are sandwiched inside the shifting mechanism 'sandwich'.
Thanks OP. Yeah, by "soft" I mean the clicks aren't as solid as they should be. I ripped into it yesterday and serviced it again and the bolts were loose. I torn it down completely, used some Lithium based grease this time, and it is working fine for now. We'll see how it holds up
Old 02-07-2017, 09:41 AM

This may be useful for someone out there: years ago I was trying to find a washer and rubber end cap for a Campy EPS charger plug (I had bought a kit that was missing those two small parts). After much searching I found Si at year1cycles. Great dude and he can source just about any Campy part for you or even custom make one for you_ in my case he had to machine the washer and he even sent me an extra one.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
Thanks OP. Yeah, by "soft" I mean the clicks aren't as solid as they should be. I ripped into it yesterday and serviced it again and the bolts were loose. I torn it down completely, used some Lithium based grease this time, and it is working fine for now. We'll see how it holds up
Bit of blue loctite on those bolts, make 'em tight!!
Old 02-09-2017, 05:44 PM

I tightened up those 3mm screws last night and 11s shifters are crisp again! Good tip, thank you.