Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 AM
Bike Guy

Campagnolo 11s Shifter Rebuild

My 2010 Athena shifter LH will not hold the cable tension necessary to keep the chain on the 53 ring. As they have somewhere between 10-12k miles, its maybe time to rebuild . . . and I am very interested in seeing how a shifter works internally. My shop sponsor has offered to help me but he has only done a handful of 10s shifters. I am curious are there additional steps for the 11s or just different parts? Any resources one can provide would be very helpful. Of course knowing OldPotatoe can fix any damage I do is a great safety net!
Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb
My 2010 Athena shifter LH will not hold the cable tension necessary to keep the chain on the 53 ring. As they have somewhere between 10-12k miles, its maybe time to rebuild . . . and I am very interested in seeing how a shifter works internally. My shop sponsor has offered to help me but he has only done a handful of 10s shifters. I am curious are there additional steps for the 11s or just different parts? Any resources one can provide would be very helpful. Of course knowing OldPotatoe can fix any damage I do is a great safety net!
Something else going on. The innards of these levers is quite different than the 2008 and older, No springs, no spring carrier. Completely different design. 3 year warranty and the only shifter 'parts' available are complete shifter assemblies, and they would be Chorus, Record or SR. 2011 the innards of Athena and below changed again, and those are not compatible. But no springs, nothing to really wear.

About $110 for the assembly but smething else is going on.

Question, to ensure it's a 2010 not 2011 RH lever, one higher gear at a time(smaller cog) or multiple cogs with the thumb button?

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-27-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 AM

Hmm... 110 for the assembly?? the brake lever of a 10 speed new version shifter, the last incarnation shaped one will fit in there???
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Law Bomb

Ouchie!

I like the way the 11s shifts and it's really nice-looking, plus they last a really long time and the ergos fit my hands nicely. But the $30 rebuildability of 10s will keep me riding what I have for a while.

BL

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
...the only shifter 'parts' available are complete shifter assemblies, and they would be Chorus, Record or SR...About $110 for the assembly...
Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
Hmm... 110 for the assembly?? the brake lever of a 10 speed new version shifter, the last incarnation shaped one will fit in there???
A 2010 anything(SR thru Veloce), 2009 anything, 2011 Chorus, Record or SR.

The brake lever blade will fit into any new shape ERGO lever.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
Ouchie!

I like the way the 11s shifts and it's really nice-looking, plus they last a really long time and the ergos fit my hands nicely. But the $30 rebuildability of 10s will keep me riding what I have for a while.

BL
Well, like I said, something else going on. I have seen what was described in 2008 and older Xenon, 2007/8 Centaur and Veloce but not in the UltraShift shifters.

Maybe make sure the two 3mm bolts on front and back are tight...they sometimes loosen.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 AM

That's the cheap way to pass from centaur 10 speed to 11 chorus then

Wonder if the FD lever will work fine with 11 tho. It should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe
A 2010 anything(SR thru Veloce), 2009 anything, 2011 Chorus, Record or SR.

The brake lever blade will fit into any new shape ERGO lever.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970
That's the cheap way to pass from centaur 10 speed to 11 chorus then

Wonder if the FD lever will work fine with 11 tho. It should.
It will, any FD 2008 and later, when they went to the non takeaprt design will work with any ERGO.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Bike Guy

I am thinking back to when I bought the Athena groupset, and bet it was the first year Athena was offered. So it is probably 2009, NOT '10, though it sounds like that doesn't affect the performance. I will check those bolts mentioned for tightness. FWIW, the shifters are not mounted, any way I can easily test functionality?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb
I am thinking back to when I bought the Athena groupset, and bet it was the first year Athena was offered. So it is probably 2009, NOT '10, though it sounds like that doesn't affect the performance. I will check those bolts mentioned for tightness. FWIW, the shifters are not mounted, any way I can easily test functionality?
Hard to check unless hooked to the derailleur(spring).
Old 02-27-2012, 11:48 AM

You can mock the position in a pipe or an old handlebar, then use an old cable and tight the cable with the hands... just pull the cable and start clicking with the other hand, the cable should move.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:41 PM

Be sure that the problem is not something simple, like needing to turn the big ring limit screw out 1/8-1/4 turn. If you get the screw set wrong, it will put a lot of tension on the cable, attempting to reach the needed position, but not quite making it. Then the FD will fall back one notch.

The ultrashift levers are very easy to disassemble, but there are no spare parts available, so that won't help.

Here's a link to some info that I posted long ago.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/cam...er-154068.html
Old 02-28-2012, 07:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Be sure that the problem is not something simple, like needing to turn the big ring limit screw out 1/8-1/4 turn. If you get the screw set wrong, it will put a lot of tension on the cable, attempting to reach the needed position, but not quite making it. Then the FD will fall back one notch.

The ultrashift levers are very easy to disassemble, but there are no spare parts available, so that won't help.

Here's a link to some info that I posted long ago.

Completely correct Dave however, some of the shops, like me, buy a lever assembly and part it out so there are some small parts available. Shift levers, discs, some springs have broken, so kinda yes, depending, sometimes, there are small bits available. I'm not the only shop that dos this, I hope.

Having said all this, I don't think I have the LH innards, some RH ones tho, 10s and 11s.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-28-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave

This....or adjust cable. I have had the same problm with 10's Ultra Centaur until I got it adjusted right. That's one reason I like the cable adjusters brazed to my head tube to fix adjustment issues like this.

Last edited by Ralph; 02-28-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:37 AM

rebuildable or not?

so, i'm still confused: is 11 speed campy rebuildable or not? are we stuck with the entire shifting assembly and only able to move over the brake lever and hood? i love the 11 speed hood design and feel, and i'm stuck on ultrashift as my favourite shifting mechanism ever, but i got into campy because of its rebuildability as a major factor. i'm hoping it's rebuildable.