Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
The best bike mechanic I know is also the owner of a fine LBS. He often recommended using the Ultegra V-1 BB rather than the Dura Ace even when selling/installing a whole DA Group because the Ultegra is a sealed unit that needs no maintenance whereas the DA is loose ball bearings that should be serviced from time to time. I think the Ultegra may have slightly more friction due to more complete sealing so the DA might be better for racers. I think 25,000 trouble-free miles is common with the V-1 Ultegra BB.

The Octalink system eliminates wear caused by mounting and removing a crank that can happen over time with square-taper designs. OTOH I never had a problem with either design so maybe it's an answer to a question I never asked. :-)

I have 2 bikes left and 1 has v-1 Ultegra triple and the other has V-2 crank/BB.

I guess I should sell my Ritchie 50-34 cranks and the matching V-1 BB that I used on my Hampsten.
I've had both D/A and Ultegra Octalink BBs. The extra 50g for no maintenance for Ultegra was worth it to me.

Still have a couple of XTR BBs floating around 'just in case.'

M
Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzy View Post
Octalink bbs are the best 3 piece bbs ever made. And yes the duraace 7700 is the most beautifully spinning bb when you get it just right. Spins like a record cup n cone but has the stiffness of a modern system. I always felt like the got the design of the 7710 and 7700 reversed.
That's why many trackies, myself included, would squirrel away 7700s and use them on the track.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:16 PM

I really dig the 7700 BB, but use a 6500, even with my full 7700 groups.

Shimano may eventually license Octalink to firms like Token, Omni, etc, who make Isis BBs. A spindle change and back in business.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:23 AM

At this point splined bbs are dead and dying (except on the track) so I doubt anyone will invest in the tooling to bring it back. But I give Shimano full credit for sticking to their standards even in the face of ubiquitous pressfit systems.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
At this point splined bbs are dead and dying (except on the track) so I doubt anyone will invest in the tooling to bring it back. But I give Shimano full credit for sticking to their standards even in the face of ubiquitous pressfit systems.
Claris has an Octalink version, just not the one for the old road cranks.

I have two snazzy Ritchey cranks that use Octalink 109s.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:25 AM

Claris would be part of my dying comment. It's also still used on some hybrid drivetrains which is why they will make the v2 system. Ritchey used the standard, and was then only compact I know of at the time for octalink, but never made the bbs. They then had to do a massive recall on the cranks.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Claris would be part of my dying comment. It's also still used on some hybrid drivetrains which is why they will make the v2 system. Ritchey used the standard, and was then only compact I know of at the time for octalink, but never made the bbs. They then had to do a massive recall on the cranks.
It was only on the WCS model and only the left crank arm. I took care of it years ago.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
It was only on the WCS model and only the left crank arm. I took care of it years ago.
I had a set of those that went back and were replaced with the Pro version. Never had an issue with Shimano Octalink cranks and still have some Ultegra 6500 in the parts bin with a couple bottom brackets.