Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2018, 09:41 AM

Thanks again for all the input! Last question is width. 32's or 38's? Plan to do mostly dirt road gravel riding in upstate NY, no off road or racing. My inclination without really knowing is to go with narrower 32's but I keep reading about guys liking to go wider in case they run into some rought stuff on gravel roads. Thoughts? Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1A View Post
Thanks again for all the input! Last question is width. 32's or 38's? Plan to do mostly dirt road gravel riding in upstate NY, no off road or racing. My inclination without really knowing is to go with narrower 32's but I keep reading about guys liking to go wider in case they run into some rought stuff on gravel roads. Thoughts? Thanks again.
I like more volume when I run the lower pressures. I hate feeling the rim. You probably don't have the sand that we have in spots out here, but even when I ride 38s, they are disconcerting at low pressures compared to my 650 47s.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:08 AM
n - 1

Quote:
If you've got 32's already, just ride them and see how it feels. Don't be afraid to get the psi low, especially if you're tubeless.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 AM
ZhugeLiang

Pedals: Shimano SPD M20

Tires:

Panaracer Pasela 35mm - economical, get the job done

Panaracer GravelKing 35-40mm - more traction, costs more, rolls equally fast on paved and gravel

Old 05-22-2018, 10:37 AM
なんでやねん

Quote:

At a guess I’d go wider rather than narrower, they don’t roll any slower and they’re more comfortable and more versatile. But like I said regional conditions vary so much it’s really hard to recommend at a distance.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
If you've got 32's already, just ride them and see how it feels. Don't be afraid to get the psi low, especially if you're tubeless.
Thanks, used bike that came with Challenge Grifo Pro 32's but the back one is shot (center tread completely smooth) so want to order some new tires today to have for the weekend. I only got it late last week and rained all weekend so only got a short pave test ride in. Just riding it on the paved road they seem pretty wide and that width should be ok for dirt / gravel roads / pave "dirtphalt" type rides but thought I'd ask for some advice before placing an order. Sounds like the wider tires really have the advantage on loose gravel more than anything? Long time roadie, just new to gravel riding on a cross bike... thanks
Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Where in upstate NY? I have plenty of extra fat tires sitting here and I’m right in the middle of the state. I have some wire bead 38 paselas you can have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 AM

I'll throw in a vote for Conti Cyclocross Speed 700X35. My favorite for our conditions.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Where in upstate NY? I have plenty of extra fat tires sitting here and I’m right in the middle of the state. I have some wire bead 38 paselas you can have!

Thanks for the offer, I live in the Oneonta area. I'll keep it in mind, no idea wher Lasserville is? Thanks
Old 05-22-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the offer, I live in the Oneonta area. I'll keep it in mind, no idea wher Lasserville is? Thanks

My brother and sister are out in Oneonta. My brother used to run the Red jug pub for a couple of years. I end up out there every few weeks or so and tend to ride in the Cooperstown area at least once a week. Feel free to get ahold of me and I can drop them off if your interested in trying them out.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
I'll throw in a vote for Conti Cyclocross Speed 700X35. My favorite for our conditions.
Interesting, never thought of Conti's and the 35 would be a nice compromise width. I'll check them out.

I'd been eyeing the Challenge Gravel Grinder 33's as they seem to get good reviews and the Grifos on the bike now seem nice. Just hesitant to jump all the way up to the 38 version. 35's split the difference. I guess I just spent too many decades riding road 19's (in the old days pumped up to 115 pounds, ouch) and now 23's so any cyclocross tire seems balloonish in comparison. thanks!
Old 08-24-2018, 02:44 PM

I use the schwalbe cx comp tires - you can find them for right around $20 a tire and they have held up for me on two different gravel events and plenty of "riding around."

Crank brothers Candy 2 pedals with giro rumble vr and the combo works well for me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk