Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-07-2024, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
The bike gave me so much more confidence that I was able to practice things I was too scared to attempt before, and improve my own skills in the process.
1000%. Modern mtb are amazing. Sure, a little complicated, requiring some regular maintenance (ask me about rebuilding my rear shock, my rear wheel and replacing disc calipers all this year). Makes things so easy, I often take the hardtail or the fat bike just to make the ride a little more challenging.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:10 PM
Older Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Basic rim brake road bikes are so much easier to own than most modern bikes, especially MTB's.

No firmware, bleed kits, batteries, o-rings, leaking sealant,weird chain compatibility issues(this works with flat top and campy but not shimano or whatever), etc, etc, etc.
This is a very good point and the reason my travel bike is a rim brake 2016 Specialized Allez. I thought about taking one of the disk brake bikes but so far have resisted.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:12 PM
what's a little rust?

My full suspension MTB is my complex bike.

My rigid ATB and rim brake road bikes are as simple as I can make them, excepting the two chainrings and front derailleur on the road bike.

So I think I get where the OP is coming from, but mountain biking is just a good time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljayski View Post
The LBS graciously put on a basic bike maintenance clinic this a.m. (...)
Quote:
I don't doubt you for a minute. The instructor's point, fwiw, is that performance degrades imperceptibly over time and that thorough periodic maintenance on a mountain steed is needed to keep it going like it's factory new.
I suspect the LBS hopes customers eventually tire of the frequent maintenance, and pay them to service the bike instead.

So their motive might have been a bit less gracious than you perceived...probably because you are a really nice person.

Quote:
I don't doubt you for a minute. The instructor's point, fwiw, is that performance degrades imperceptibly over time and that thorough periodic maintenance on a mountain steed is needed to keep it going like it's factory new.
Meh. Honestly, you notice the loss of certain suspension sensitivity but generally it is minor - like 100 to 90% over a year. Nothing enough to take the joy out of the experience.

New MTBs are amazing but take a little too much of the fun out of the trails - which have become more tame. Personally, I have gone to riding my old 26er on local trails as it is more fun. Use my modern MTB for trips to the big hills.

Last edited by vespasianus; 04-07-2024 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:20 PM

You don't have to get off the pavement to appreciate fatter tires. The world has moved on from skinny tires for good reason.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:54 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Technically it’s in Napa County, but Moore Creek Park near Lake Hennessy is your ticket. Redwood Trails Alliance is the steward and they continue to make the place better and better.

Not quite available yet, but RTA also has a big project in West county called Monte Rio Redwoods. When that opens it should be just what you’re looking for.
awesome, thanks!
Old 04-07-2024, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Doesn’t matter if it’s sechs, pizza, or road riding - if you’re not enjoying it, that’s on you ..
You misspelled “Sachs.”
Old 04-07-2024, 09:27 PM

Im building up a steel, 100m travel single speed MTB right now. I have heard that there are some good skills to learn from SS mtb that can translate to all forms of riding. Rim brake road bikes are my favorite, but there are options if you dont want all the maintenance of modern MTBs
Old 04-08-2024, 07:46 AM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StruggleClimber View Post
Im building up a steel, 100m travel single speed MTB right now. I have heard that there are some good skills to learn from SS mtb that can translate to all forms of riding. Rim brake road bikes are my favorite, but there are options if you dont want all the maintenance of modern MTBs
I’ve heard the same. That you’ll pick better lines and become more efficient.
What I have found is that, you do pick better lines and become more efficient…….at riding SS bikes. I haven’t found much, or any, skill set or physical conditioning that translates to other types of riding. When I get on a full-sus MTB, my line choices are different and I sit more on climbs.
I love riding SS, but not as a training tool for other forms of riding.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
I’ve heard the same. That you’ll pick better lines and become more efficient.

What I have found is that, you do pick better lines and become more efficient…….at riding SS bikes. I haven’t found much, or any, skill set or physical conditioning that translates to other types of riding. When I get on a full-sus MTB, my line choices are different and I sit more on climbs.

I love riding SS, but not as a training tool for other forms of riding.
I found it a good tool for building up endurance. Since you are never in the right gear it also is a good way to build up some strength on climbs and learn to spin earlier and carry momentum as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Reinforces my belief that I want only to ride classic-design rim-brake road bikes (though they are new builds, not vintage) on concrete trails and asphalt roads.

Mountain biking seems to involve a completely different belief system, so to speak.

Wait, where do you live? You're missing out on a *lot* of gravel riding. If you don't want to futz with the complications of a current generation mountain bike. pick up a steel (or Ti) cyclocross bike and install (now) vintage Record or XTR components. Rim brakes, either canti or linear. Run tubes in the tires.

Same experience, from an equipment standpoint, although you will get a lot more dusty.

You will also have a lot of fun.

And your road riding will get a lot better - more strength, better bike handling.

Just sayin'
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-08-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
But trade that off against the absolute joy of point-and-shoot mountain biking over crazy terrain. In terms of smiles per minute, mtb wins by a long shot. I've never giggled in joy on my road bike.
Louder for everyone in the back

Don't get me wrong I love road riding for it's own reasons, but nothing puts a smile on like lettin'er buck through something you don't think you can clean on a modern downcountry bike
Old 04-08-2024, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
In terms of smiles per minute, mtb wins by a long shot.
Agreed. Or gravel.

Quote:
I've never giggled in joy on my road bike.
Keep at it. Once you get into a flow state, you'll be floating too high to giggle.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 04-09-2024, 07:14 AM

To each their own, but you keep it clean and lubricated like any other bike. And once a year (that's with probably 1-2) mtb rides per year, you drop it off at the shop for a suspension service.

Not hard.