Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2024, 06:25 PM

Rene Herse Cranks, chainline, spindle length. Calling Jan Heine.

Folks. Hoping for a bit of help on specing appropriate BB spindle length for use with Rene Herse 2x Cranks on 142mm rear end disc bikes.

On the Rene Herse website, docs point to 110 for a 46mm chainline, with 110 being recommended for the 2x setups. Rear end spacing is not mentioned. Photo attached.

Then, if we refer to scripture (Bicycle Quarterly), 116 is recommended for 142/135 rear end bikes. Photo also attached.

My guess is that 110 is recommended for 46 chainline on 130 road rear and 116 is recommended for 49(!) chainline on 135/142 rears. Yeah +6 is not the same as +5, but im making an educated leap here. Is a 49mm chainline what the cool kid wide tire gravel crowd is running now? That just seems, well, wide. Yeah only 3 away from 52 x 148 boost, but those are 1x bikes…

Ive used 110 and 113 spindles with the RH double cranks on 142 rear bikes. 110 shifts better, no question. Anyone used the 116?

Jan - what should I do? Is 116 actually acceptable? If so, it’ll give me more fender clearance on an upcoming frame…

Thanks any and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk