Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 03:53 PM

when i lived in Bereley

i think they operated out of one of the taller buildings in the downtown. not had one since Clif came into being.

https://www.saturnvalley.org/gallery..._PowerBar.html
Old 05-28-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
The company was bought by Phil Swift and rebranded as Flex Seal products!
Old 05-28-2020, 03:55 PM

I see a couple of flavors of "Protein Plus" Powerbars on Amazon--one with a chocolate, one with a vanilla yoghurt coating. They don't quote look like the shoe leather versions of old though...
Old 05-28-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I see a couple of flavors of "Protein Plus" Powerbars on Amazon--one with a chocolate, one with a vanilla yoghurt coating. They don't quote look like the shoe leather versions of old though...
I tried those, but turned into total goo in the heat. PB's were hard in the cold, but handled a long day in the sun just fine.

Side story: I came home one night, found a mouse laying dead on the carpet. Looked around, it had gnawed into a PB. I can only guess it dehydrated the poor critter & killed it.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:09 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
i think they operated out of one of the taller buildings in the downtown. not had one since Clif came into being.

https://www.saturnvalley.org/gallery..._PowerBar.html
+1

Love Clif Bars.....

And their wine, herb blends, jams, honey, nuts, plus a couple cycling kits!

Clif Family Winery

Old 05-28-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
This bums me out. I've always liked Powerbars, easy to digest. Mixed berry, malt and Vanilla are my favorites. I have literally one bar left from what used to be several case stash, and after reading this thread I went online to order some and yessir the OP is correct, can't be found anywhere.

Any other energy bar recommendations?

By the way I remember when Powerbars first came out, the company came to a local race I was in up in the Bay Area and handed out free samples. This was in the late 80's.

Sounds like they had a good run. Definitely pioneers, if not literally the category creators.
I'm with ya.

For long events ( mountain bike races 40-60 miles etc.) they gave me the most energy longterm. Easy to digest for me.

I like the stroopwaffle cookies just fine but I'd need 4 of those to equal a powerbar or oven a lara bar. They just seem empty as far as performance goes. I'm gonna invent a Snickers that doesn't melt. Backcountry skiing I would live on them.

Last edited by charliedid; 05-28-2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
once you go black, you'll never go back.

and by black i mean stroopwaffles.
Oof.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
...I can only guess it dehydrated the poor critter & killed it...
It starved long before it could finish chewing and swallow.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
+1

Love Clif Bars.....
And their wine, herb blends, jams, honey, nuts, plus a couple cycling kits!
Clif Family Winery

Clif bar bakery is here in Indianapolis, over by SRAM operations. Clif is an excellent corporate citizen and sponsors many local cycling and running events. It's easy for me to support them.

NPR has a program, How I Built This, with Guy Raz. One episode featured Garv Erickson and how he built Clif Bar in the 80s. I find these things interesting and listen every Saturday morning when the program is on.

Cliff Bar: How I Built This
Old 05-28-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
This bums me out. I've always liked Powerbars, easy to digest. Mixed berry, malt and Vanilla are my favorites. I have literally one bar left from what used to be several case stash, and after reading this thread I went online to order some and yessir the OP is correct, can't be found anywhere.

Any other energy bar recommendations?

By the way I remember when Powerbars first came out, the company came to a local race I was in up in the Bay Area and handed out free samples. This was in the late 80's.

Sounds like they had a good run. Definitely pioneers, if not literally the category creators.
Check out Kattouf KII energy bars. Great fuel either before, during, or after our rides with 53% carbohydrate, 18% protein, and 29%fat. Approximately 270 calories per bar. Great snack during the day as well.

25% discount for all Paceline members using the link https://www.kattoufstore.com/?AffId=20 with coupon code 25OFF at checkout.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Crisp, Chocolate Chip Crisp, and Brownie Chocolate Chip
Old 05-28-2020, 05:07 PM

I liked em and in particular the gels they sold. Back when I considered myself a runner this was one of the few brands that didn’t make me cramp. I haven’t had the same issue on the bike and prefer clif gels (technically called shots) and bars. This said, nothing beats a snicker bar on a long hard ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteVelo View Post
Check out Kattouf KII energy bars. Great fuel either before, during, or after our rides with 53% carbohydrate, 18% protein, and 29%fat. Approximately 270 calories per bar. Great snack during the day as well.

25% discount for all Paceline members using the link https://www.kattoufstore.com/?AffId=20 with coupon code 25OFF at checkout.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Crisp, Chocolate Chip Crisp, and Brownie Chocolate Chip
Is there a difference between KII energy bars & KII Kookie bars? I don't see "energy" bars. How do they hold up in the heat?
Old 05-28-2020, 05:50 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Ok, so if they are impossible to locate, alternatives of the same ilk? Easy to carry, don't end up as a bag full of crumbs, and KIND OF easy to access? Maybe not top tube easy, but...
If I buy bars I usually choose RXBars, available at Trader Joe’s, most flavors are good but I avoid anything with chocolate because they melt; might not be great for cold weather, but I have no experience there. Skratch bars are also good.

I have been trying to only eat things I make myself in order to reduce packaging trash. Made some rice cakes using a Skratch recipe, just ok; plan to try the recipe that @pdmtong shared a while back (don’t have the thread handy, sorry)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:21 PM
Big Bike Love

This looks like the original ones to me. Maybe not...

https://www.mercato.com/item/powerba...iABEgKoo_D_BwE
Old 05-28-2020, 06:21 PM

Good riddance.

That said, when I was in the Army I used to carry several in my ammo pouches.

Nothing like a the gnawing on a PowerBar that melted to the bottom of the wrapper into a blob. At 120 degrees they are actually easy to chew!