Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 09:48 PM

Is there a way get a good estimate if a wheel fit to a bike?

Thinking about a set of wheels but my bike has tight clearance in the back and I am not sure if they will fit. 28c tires won't fit in the back.

The manufacturer's specification for the target wheel width is 26.4mm.

Pictures below are how the current wheel fits. DT RR440 with Vittoria Corsa 25c tires.

The rim width is about 21.5mm according to my caliper. Official width is 21mm. With the tire at about 85 psi, the width of the tire is about 26.5mm.

At the chainstays the black paint/metal line is where the wheel's edge is. The gap is about 31mm. The blue tape marks where tire ends and the gap there is about 28.5mm.

Based on the gap the wheel should fit but not sure if it will still fit with a 25c tire.

Last edited by tuxbailey; 05-27-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:03 PM
Descent fitness

I don’t know if ithis exactly answers your question, but in the past I have measured the wheel from center of axle to the fattest part of the tire, and taken the same measurement from the center of the dropout along the chainstay and marked the chainstay. Then measure width of the tire then the distance between chainstays at the mark and compare. If the tire is not mounted, there is plenty of information out there on width of various tires on various rims.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:05 PM

Mods: Posted in the wrong sub, can it be moved to general?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 04:42 AM

Any reason why you won't just buy a tire from your local shop to try?

I did this when trying to see what the largest tire would fit my frame. I wouldn't ride the tire, just mount it and check clearances. Then I'd return the tire and try the next size up.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:44 AM

I think he's pondering whether to buy a new set of wheels, so a bit more involved and costly process.
My experience is that wider rims widen the tire too. My 25 mm conti gp5000 tires are 27.6mm on Easton R90SL rims, whereas my 28 mm Corsa G+ are 28.4 mm on narrower HED Belgium rims. i'm guessing the Corsa tires would grow on the Easton rims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
Any reason why you won't just buy a tire from your local shop to try?

I did this when trying to see what the largest tire would fit my frame. I wouldn't ride the tire, just mount it and check clearances. Then I'd return the tire and try the next size up.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I think he's pondering whether to buy a new set of wheels, so a bit more involved and costly process.

My experience is that wider rims widen the tire too. My 25 mm conti gp5000 tires are 27.6mm on Easton R90SL rims, whereas my 28 mm Corsa G+ are 28.4 mm on narrower HED Belgium rims. i'm guessing the Corsa tires would grow on the Easton rims.
Yeah that is the case.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 07:38 AM

I wouldn't based on those pictures. If you take the wheel off, I'm certain you have evidence of the tire rubbing against the chainstays. Now, if you go to a rim that's wider than your tire, you might end up with a rim rubbing against the chainstays. That strikes me as a risky proposition that could cause real damage to one or both.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:40 AM
Administrator

moved for you.

based on best guess and given info, i would say those tires are going to be a no-go with the rims you're considering.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:47 AM

Look on the bright side: Now you have a good reason to buy another bicycle, to go with your new wheels!
Old 05-28-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
moved for you.

based on best guess and given info, i would say those tires are going to be a no-go with the rims you're considering.
Thanks!

Yeah, it will probably work with 23c but I don't think I will go back that route. Well, another sign that I shouldn't think of new wheels until later.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
Look on the bright side: Now you have a good reason to buy another bicycle, to go with your new wheels!
Perfectly logical
Old 05-28-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I wouldn't based on those pictures. If you take the wheel off, I'm certain you have evidence of the tire rubbing against the chainstays. Now, if you go to a rim that's wider than your tire, you might end up with a rim rubbing against the chainstays. That strikes me as a risky proposition that could cause real damage to one or both.
Yes that is my worry. If a new rim is a couple mm wider than my current rim than I feel okay. But at 5+ mm and increase of tire width as NHAero said it will cause some concern.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:31 AM

The price you pay for those 1” stays! Any particular reason you are looking for a wider set of wheels for this particular bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
The price you pay for those 1” stays! Any particular reason you are looking for a wider set of wheels for this particular bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha. Yeah the bike is very nice and I don't want to upgrade it. Just toying with the idea of getting some Carbon wheels as a self-reward for weight loss success. Performance wise I don't think it will add a lot. Just thinking of trying them out.

Last edited by tuxbailey; 05-28-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:55 AM
ergottWheels

More important is the inner rim width. Some 26mm carbon rims have an inner width of only 18mm. The DT rim is 16mm inner. I have a Serotta with little clearance so I run Astral Radiant rims (similar to Hed Belgium, Boyd etc) at about 19.5mm inner. I'm using 23mm tubeless tires (Schwalbe) and they and others typically measure 25mm wide. That gives me comfortable clearance and I think it's plenty tire for my circumstances. I know that's not for everyone, just for reference.