Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2020, 01:40 AM

Far be it for me to argue against Ti as a matter of principle, but have you considered aluminium at all?

By way of example, a rock lobster? Difficult (impossible?) to find a negative review of those.

When aluminium is done right you may find it meets all your needs at a fraction of the price.

No doubt any of those mentioned will be lovely!
Old 05-28-2020, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
I had the same sentiments.

So I ordered a Kirk.

Waiting for paint.

Good luck.
Beautiful.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 06:58 AM

If this fits you this Moots RSL is not a bad deal: https://www.ebay.com/itm/193480471274

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2020, 10:18 AM

@Hellgate - As with most people, I don't need custom geo. I've not written custom off - I just don't think its necessary from a fit perspective. For example say I order a Vamoots, my custom geo would probably be maybe 0.5mm shorter in reach than one of their stock sizes. I don't want any fancy anodizing or anything added to the frame, so why pay extra for custom geo when I can adjust my contact points by 0.5mm ?

@JasonF - I emailed them last week but did not hear back. I do still have a soft spot for Seven so perhaps I should just try to call Summer. Lovely, lovely bike by the way. Proportions look bang on.

@Ken Robb - definitely too big for me unfortunately.

@RyanH - yeah, this is definitely a positive for me I guess - the lack of sex appeal - the price point seems to be very competitive. Looking forward to seeing some in the flesh.

@Robertbb - to be honest - no. And it's not because I have any prejudices towards aluminium - I like Rock Lobster's a lot and have ridden many miles on alu frames - its that I've never owned a Ti bike and its the last frame material for me to try. I just feel like it's time.

@Bici-Sonora - have seen that. Too big for me unfortunately.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:31 AM

Oh and to those mentioning 333fab and Hampsten - if I'm honest, purely from a vanity perspective, I'm not really into the branding of either. I am sure they're wonderful frames though, the finishing on a recent Hampsten in the classifieds is insane.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Second the idea of taking a trip down to Del Mar and visiting Craig and Jeff at Summer Cycles. I had a fit done by Craig, and it was really insightful. Even though I thought I had it pretty well dialed, the changes that he made were helpful. They can make all of the tweaks that you might want too, as Craig used to work at Seven. I have owned two Sevens over the years, and they've been great. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Where do all the new Lynsky's go? I have literally never seen one in the flesh. Then again, I'm in the middle carbon central aka SoCal.
You're just years too late. It used to be nothing but Merlin, Moots, Dean, Lightspeeds on Food Park and Como St. rides.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
Where do all the new Lynsky's go? I have literally never seen one in the flesh. Then again, I'm in the middle carbon central aka SoCal.
carbon central ...like "straight outta carbon?"

Has a certain ring to it...
Old 05-29-2020, 03:17 PM

As always, invaluable to actually sit on a bike.

The geo chart for the Litespeed T5 made me think it would be a good match, but in reality I felt horribly cramped and upright even on a Medium/Large over a Medium. Really, very upright. It was awful for me!

A 55cm Vamoots which I'd have written off as being too big felt pretty good - but do I think it's worth $4000 for a non-custom frameset? Nope. Absolutely not. Headtube felt a bit too tall, too.

I like the idea of one of the racier Litespeeds. There is no doubt that they're fantastic bikes, but by the time you buy a T1SL (and pay $95 for cable stops!?), even on sale, you're not far from a Seven at $2800....

I got pricing back for an Axiom S which is obviously custom and its $3550 inclusive of an Enve 2.0. Therefore, I think this is the route I will probably take. What's $750 extra if it means keeping it forever?
Old 05-30-2020, 06:18 PM

Done and dusted. Having a fit / Seven consultation with Craig at Summer Cycles on Monday :-) thanks for everyone’s advice!
Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 PM
ZhugeLiang

Congrats!

A new beginning...to a lifelong journey of n+1.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:34 PM

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 05-31-2020 at 02:45 PM.